jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Jedit strangely slow
Submitted by Anonymous on Wednesday, 8 September, 2004 - 18:27
I’ve been using Jedit for several years now on a number of different machines. I recently installed Jedit 4.2 final on a PIII 1.2ghz 512meg RAM notebook. I am having severe performance issues for some reason. For example, if I hit carriage return, I get a full 1 second pause before that action takes place on jedit. Similarly, I get a full 1 second pause when scrolling in the buffer (a full 1 second pause between each step in the scroll). Each time, my javaw process spikes the CPU to 100%. It spikes for even only 1 single carriage return in a new file with no other files open in the other tabs. Even the menus are slow I've uninstalled all extra plugins, so I don't think any of those were the culprit.

I have tried this with Java 1.4.2_05 as well as J2SE 5.0rc. I have tried this with Jedit 4.2final, as well as 4.2pre15 and 4.2pre14, with the same problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I use Jedit 4.2pre11 all the time on my notebook at home, which is a 1.4ghz mobile P4 with 512 … without _any_ problem. I simply can’t figure out what is happening. Any help would be much appreciated. Using something other than Jedit really isn't an option for me -- I've used it for so long and found it fits my needs perfectly! NOthing else even compares. I hope I can get it working on the machine here at work.
Comment viewing options
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click 'Save settings' to activate your changes.
Figured it out
by Anonymous on Wed, 08/09/2004 - 19:03
Okay ... I figured out why. And boy is it strange.

I forgot to mention in my previous post that I am using a dual monitor setup. I.e. my notebook is monitor 1, my CRT monitor 2.

If I start jedit in monitor 2 (i.e. thats where it was when I last closed it), then I have SEVERE performance problems.
If I start jedit in monitor 1, its fine.
If I start jedit in monitor 1, and move it to 2, its fine.

And now, the REALLY strange part.

If I start jedit in monitir 2, move it to 1, then move it back to 2, everything is fine.

I have no idea what causes this problem. It may be WinXP and poor multimonitor support. It may be Java. Possibly jedit, but I doubt it. Anyway, in the end, problem solved.

Dual monitor on a desktop PC
by Anonymous on Thu, 10/03/2005 - 22:33
My problem has also to do with a dual monitor setup, but not on a laptop.

All jEdit windows are completely grayed out, unless I move them to the second monitor.

No matter in which monitor I start jEdit, the problem remains.

(Using WinXP, JRE 1.5-update2, ATI Catalyst 5.3)
Could it be one of the latest Windows patches?

Any other ideas
by Anonymous on Fri, 04/03/2005 - 11:20
Hi folks,

I seem to have a similar setup to other posters in this thread, ie.:
Vaio notebook, Mobility Radeon 9200, plus Syncmaster 213T as second monitor.

I also have really bad performance problems with jEdit, sometimes it doesn't even refresh the screen properly unless I page up page down (e.g. after pasting a line I copied from somewhere else), scrolling with the mouse wheel is slow, etc.

I've tried all the other solutions posted here, e.g. switching off direct draw, starting jEdit on monitor 1, but to no avail. I don't seem to have the magic Powerplay thing either.

Does anybody have any other ideas about how to speed this up? If not I'm afraid I'll have to ditch it and run with something else, which is a shame because otherwise it would be a great piece of software.

Cheers,

Robin.

My solution is slightly different...
by Anonymous on Fri, 11/02/2005 - 23:44
I had a very similar issue with jEdit that I figured out thanks to the thoughts on this thread. However, it's a different enough situation so I'll share the solution. (It actually solved some other video performance problems I've been experiencing!)

My dual monitor setup is driven by an NVIDIA Quadro video card. I had the settings such that monitor 1 was set to a high color depth and monitor 2 to a low color depth. The performance issues (which are identical to those described in the original submission) are gone once the color depths are set to the same setting.

My evaluation of jEdit now continues...

ATI Powerplay
by joma on Wed, 17/11/2004 - 06:04
I had similar slow performance from jEdit on my notebook until I disabled ATI's Powerplay software.

I have an IBM ThinkPad T42 with a 1.7GHz Pentium M, 512MB RAM, an ATI Radeon 9600 video card, and WinXP SP2.

My symptoms were really similar in that I got the same 1 second delay between each scroll step, 1 sec delay after pressing Enter key, etc. The only addition was that I only saw the problem when my notebook was running on battery power. When plugged in to an AC wall outlet, jEdit behaved normally.

When I noticed that it was only when unplugged, I tried changing the battery-economy settings in winXP, but no matter what these settings were (e.g. Max CPU) I was still having the problem. To disable Powerplay, I went to
Start-->Control Panel-->Display-->Settings tab-->Advanced button-->Powerplay tab. De-selected "Enable POWERPLAY". After applying that change, jEdit works fine.

Based on ATI's website, Powerplay is apparently supposed to improve battery life by reducing the power demands from the ATI card during battery operation.

If you are using a dual monitor setup you probably have your notebook plugged in to AC, so I doubt this is related to your issue, but I thought I'd pass it on in case it helps anyone else.

Another satisfied customer...
by sherburne on Sat, 03/12/2005 - 06:21
Thanks, jomal, that tip works AWESOME! I had the same symptoms, and disabling ATI's powerplay took care of jedit's performance problems.

-t

Awesome - thanks!
by Anonymous on Thu, 10/02/2005 - 03:09
I have a very similar setup to yours: Thinkpad T42, 1.8GHz Pentium M, ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 (btw, what a great machine). Turning Powerplay off solved it. Thanks!

I'm so glad...
by Anonymous on Sun, 03/10/2004 - 22:32
Man I'm so glad we have exactly the same problem here... I mean EXACTLY the same! And your "solution" does work, thanx a bunch.

Awesome... thanks so much
by Anonymous on Tue, 12/10/2004 - 19:52
I have the very same issue -- dual monitor setup on my PC at work. This "fix" works perfectly. Who'd have thought? Once or twice I inadvertently "fixed" it myself and then kept trying to figure out what it was I did that corrected the problem.

Solved
by Anonymous on Tue, 08/02/2005 - 19:54
This is so strange my dual head ATI 9600 behaved in exactly the same manner. Thanks for the unorthodox fix.

For me the solution was to ad
by JonathanAquino on Mon, 06/08/2007 - 23:13
For me the solution was to add the following parameter to my jEdit shortcut:

-Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true

this worked for me
by romca on Sat, 15/09/2007 - 21:09
Thanks a million! This worked for me, the ati tweaking described above did not. My configuration is: win xp sp2, ati mobile radeon x1600, 2gb ram, java 1.5.0_12, jedit 4.3pre10

thanks again

another fix
by daMasta on Wed, 03/10/2007 - 23:51
Running win xp sp2 up2date on desktop AMD64 3200+ 2.2GHz 2GB RAM ATI x1600 Pro, dual monitor with ultramon software, jedit4.3pre10.
Tried reinstalling jEdit itself (jar), ultramon, java runtime, ati driver/catalyst, one at a time - no go.
Tried the shortcut trick above - no go. No Powerplay option for my card.
Switching away from jEdit was not an option.

What finally fixed the issue was either or both:
- downgrading ATI catalyst driver to August 2007 release 7-8_xp32_dd_ccc_wdm_enu_50960.exe
- downgrading to the stable jEdit version4.2final using windows installer exe

Hope that helps someone.
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348