jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
help with windows, jedit.bat, and default text editor.
Submitted by Anonymous on Friday, 10 December, 2004 - 23:49
Was trying to do some tutorials on C++ maybe learn something. Started reading to look for a good freeware text editor (have used textpad in the past for php/htm editing, but don't have a liscense for it here). Stumbled across jedit on a google, so far I like it. Wanted to make it my default editor.

I can associate most anything I want with the jedit.bat file and it works fine. My only real question is, on the first instance of jedit I open up using this method, the DOS window does not go away. Any subsequent openings after the initial jedit launch, the DOS window goes away. And if I close the initial Jedit window, then the DOS window goes away with it. I can close the DOS window at anytime with no ill affects. Its only a minor inconvenience, but I am trying to learn something new and any ideas on how to make that go away would be appreciated Smiling

Thanks!

Mike
Comment viewing options
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click 'Save settings' to activate your changes.
Getting DOS window to close
by Anonymous on Wed, 26/01/2005 - 21:03
Preface your command with "START":

START C:\jEdit\jedit.jar
Oops found it under another f
by Anonymous on Sat, 11/12/2004 - 00:09
Oops found it under another forum section sorry. Installed the 4.1 launcher into my 4.2 directory. Guess I considered it a installation issue coming from the windows world Smiling Would like to learn about the dos window thing though if anyone feels like sharing, and its not considered too off topic. Will keep checking back from time to time.

Thanks for the great program!

Mike

My opinion
by cvicari on Mon, 13/12/2004 - 15:43
I think that windows keeps the DOS window open until you close the called program (java or javaw), so it's open until you close jedit.
But, I suppose that java detaches itself from the DOS window, so upon the DOS closure, there's no problem.
Furthermore, when you start jedit for the first time, it runs like a server, in the background.
So, every other instance of jedit calls the same server, asks it to perform some operation (such as opening a file), and then ends, so that also the DOS window is closed.
Is this a good explanation? I also tried with windows scripting host, and obtained something very similar to the jedit launcher, but a bit more tricky.

If anyone's interested in hel
by Anonymous on Mon, 13/12/2004 - 20:39
If anyone's interested in helping out with a new jEdit Launcher, and you knows some C or C++, I'd be happy for some help. Here's a message I posted to devel@jedit.org a couple months ago.

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jedit-devel&m=109856658824565&w=2

There hasn't been too much progress since then, as I've been busy with work and moving. Plus, the lack of interest on the devel list wasn't much of a motivator. I'll probably finish it up either way, but people interested in coding or testing would be great!

E-mail me: "oliver at jedit dot org" if you're interested.

-Ollie
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348