jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
dockable Search window
Submitted by cajetanus on Saturday, 30 July, 2005 - 12:42
I couldn't find this in any of the plugins.

Would it be possible to have the search dialog as a dockable item? For instance, it would be nice to have it on the right side, maybe with the hypersearch results beneath like in the file browser.

The current search dialog is a pain to use. It hides my text, doesn't disappear and is just plain annoying like all dialog boxes are. I like jEdit because almost everything can be put on the docks, and are instantly available when I want them. This search dialog seems to be the only exception. I know that there exists the search tool bar (which I now use almost exclusively, as I repeat, I AM SICK AND TIRED OF THIS STUPID SEARCH DIALOG - wow, glad to get that off my chest). However from this tool bar you cannot search directories. What do I need to do to have this option?

Also, it would be nicer if the multiple file search was a little faster. It seems to take forever on a regular expression...

Thanks for listening.
Comment viewing options
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click 'Save settings' to activate your changes.
please don't change jEdit's search
by campbeld on Mon, 16/01/2006 - 13:41
THE MAIN REASON I USE jEdit is because it has SUPERIOR text buffer search capability which dramatically reduces the effort of maintenance work!!!

I love REGEX search. I love all the different options. Sure it takes a while to learn how to set them up but I love the flexibility and power of jEdit search. Myself and I'm sure many others would be very sad if features were removed from jEdit's Search/Replace dialogue.
Search bar
by fixedsys on Mon, 19/09/2005 - 06:47
I know, it's not exactly what you want and I know, not all the options from the search dialog are there too, but:

Did you try the "HyperSearch Bar" and/or the "Incremental Search Bar"?
Perhaps the contain enough options to help you a bit.

You'll find them in the menu "Search".

He knows
by Vampire on Mon, 19/09/2005 - 21:00
<quote>
I know that there exists the search tool bar
</quote>

Eye-wink
dockable search dialog
by dfabrizio on Fri, 16/09/2005 - 18:45
Yes, please make this happen. .

It gets in the way of the main jEdit window so I'm always moving it
around.

Thanks,
Dan Fabrizio
"Keep dialog"
by Vampire on Sat, 30/07/2005 - 13:52
[quote]
doesn't disappear
[/quote]

Just disable the checkbox "Keep dialog" and it disappears on searching.

Ah, better, but not quite good enough...
by cajetanus on Sun, 31/07/2005 - 14:24
Thanks for the tip. At least the crazy thing gets off my screen now.

However, there should be a better way to do this search business. Considering how much time I search through code for a certain function that is included in another file somewhere else, there should be a better way to do this.

How about a panel, that is dockable, which has the text to search for, the directory, all the options, with the hypersearch results shown under neath. If you know BBEdit, it has a very nice multi-file search, but it, too, is modal - it gets stuck on your screen when you look for files. The nice thing about jEdit is that you can put these little gadgets to the side or on the bottom, calling them up like little genies that do you bidding when YOU want them too, instead of hanging around doing nothing but get in your face.

jEdit is a superior editor is so many ways, especially in usability in comparison to BBEdit for instance - I don't need thousands of windows to do my job, I just do a quick split window, see what the function does, write the parameters and continue with life.

It is just the search dialog that keeps me from being a top-notch programmer. (or at least this is a good excuse for having a bad memory). Please guys, do something !!!

PS. Something nice like this would do well for jEdit and the docking panels:

http://www.infonode.net/index.html?itp

Make these stick to the side, a little like Indesign CS2, and I would be one happy camper.

ok, there you go.
by AlanEzust on Mon, 24/10/2005 - 06:48
ok, the XSearch plugin now has a dockable dialog.
I haven't quite figured out how to nicely lay out the dialog - I tried putting it in a JScrollPane but then it looked blank inside the dockable.

I just checked it into CVS. Feel free to try it out.

You are my hero !!!
by cajetanus on Fri, 09/12/2005 - 13:36
Thanks much Alan. I will look into it now, and get back to you with some constructive feedback. I have to finish this project that I am working on now, so I don't have too much time to play with new toys... but I just wanted to write a quick note to thank you for the feedback !

Another proof that jEdit is the best - just look at the community !

Signed,
One Happy Coder
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82349