jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
jEdit freezes when trying to open a file
Submitted by rhubarb67 on Tuesday, 19 September, 2006 - 19:38
I'm using jEdit 4.2final on Windows XP Pro. I have been using it for awhile now and yesterday, 09/18/2006, I encountered this situation. I clicked on File/Open and the main window loses focus but I don't see the Open Dialog on either of my two monitors. When I bring up Task Manager all I see is the main jEdit app running. If I hit Escape the main window receives focus and I can click on all other menu items with no problem. If I open the Processes tab, all I see is the jEdit process running, nothing else related. If I try to stop jEdit I see this message:

"The system cannot end this program because it is waiting for a response from you"

It looks to me like the jEdit app thinks the Open Dialog window is loaded. I'm thinking the dialog has been opened behind the main app but I can't figure out how to make it appear.

I have no ideas on what the solution is for this problem. I've tried just about everything to resolve this all to no avail. I have even uninstalled jEdit 4.2 and reinstalled it and the same thing happens.

I would really appreciate it if anyone has encountered this and has a resolution would pass it on?

Thank you;
Rhubarb
Comment viewing options
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click 'Save settings' to activate your changes.
RE: jEdit Freezes . . .
by rhubarb67 on Thu, 19/10/2006 - 14:28
Ok, I've just removed jEdit from my PC and downloaded and installed version 4.2final for the third time. This situation is still happening. Is there an INI file or some control file that is causing this?

Basically, when I click on either the 'Open' menu option or the 'Open' tool bar icon, the main app window loses focus (the title bar gray's out) and nothing, the Open Dialog never appears but the app is waiting for me to select a file, (I think).

I can work on any file that I've already opened, I can 'Save', but cannot 'Save As' so, this is definately an issue with the 'Open/Save As' dialog box.

Any ideas?

settings dir
by Robert Schwenn on Thu, 19/10/2006 - 20:21
Did You try to delete the whole settings directory? This definitivly helps sometime.

Robert

I'm using Win XP Pro SP2 (w/d
by rhubarb67 on Thu, 19/10/2006 - 20:44
I'm using Win XP Pro SP2 (w/dual monitors). After I un-installed jEdit, I went thru the complete registry and removed evry instance of jEdit I came across.

BTW, I have jEdit running on my home computer (also Win XP Pro SP2 w/dual monitors) and this does not occur there (knock on wood).

settings dir
by Robert Schwenn on Fri, 20/10/2006 - 20:33
jEdit does not use the registry, because it should run on other systems too (Mac, Linux). jEdit saves its settings in the directory "C:\Windows\Documents and Settings\%USERNAME%\.jedit". Delete this whole directory.

RE: jEdit Freezes
by rhubarb67 on Mon, 23/10/2006 - 13:08
Darn! I keep forgetting about "cross platform" apps! Ok, I've deleted the folder you mentioned, re-installed jEdit and wah-lah! everything works!

Thanks for the info, if this happens again I'll know where to look first (or second?).

Greg

re-install needed?
by Robert Schwenn on Mon, 23/10/2006 - 20:26
First!
May be it is not nessecary in every case to delete the whole directory - but it's very effective. Often the problem is gone by deleting jars-cache directory and/or properties file.

B.T.W.: Re-install should not be needed anyway.
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348