jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
JEdit 4.3 pre 9 crashes when maximizing window
Submitted by blegger on Thursday, 10 May, 2007 - 20:03
I installed a fresh copy of jEdit 4.3 pre 9, but jEdit shutdowns and disappears when I try to maximize the window or go to manage plugins. My environment is setup as follows:

Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2
Java SE Runtime Environment 6
Java SE Development Kit 6
jEdit 4.3 pre 9

I even made sure to clear out all of the plugins and personal settings I had from the 4.2 installation.

I have since installed jEdit4.2 and it works fine.
Comment viewing options
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click 'Save settings' to activate your changes.
old settings
by Robert Schwenn on Tue, 15/05/2007 - 20:15
Are You really sure, that You have deleted (or renamed) the whole settings directory "C:\Documents and Settings\cboal\.jedit" ?

This often helps again weird behavior.

Robert
Check the Activity Log.
by elberry on Mon, 14/05/2007 - 14:19
Could you take a look at your Activity log, and perhaps post a some of it here? I'm on a mac, so I'm not sure exactly where the activity log lies on Windows. For me it's in my home directory under the .jedit directory.

Learn from the past. Live in the present. Plan for the future.

Activity log
by blegger on Mon, 14/05/2007 - 20:31
Log file created on Mon May 14 15:00:18 MDT 2007 IMPORTANT: Because updating this file after every log message would kill performance, it will be *incomplete* unless you invoke the Utilities->Troubleshooting->Update Activity Log on Disk command! [message] Log: When reporting bugs, please include the following information: [message] Log: java.version=1.6.0 [message] Log: java.vm.version=1.6.0-b105 [message] Log: java.runtime.version=1.6.0-b105 [message] Log: java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc. [message] Log: java.compiler=null [message] Log: os.name=Windows XP [message] Log: os.version=5.1 [message] Log: os.arch=x86 [message] Log: user.home=C:\Documents and Settings\cboal [message] Log: java.home=C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0\jre [message] Log: java.class.path=C:\Program Files\jEdit\jedit.jar [notice] jEdit: An error occurred while connecting to the jEdit server instance. [notice] jEdit: This probably means that jEdit crashed and/or exited abnormally [notice] jEdit: the last time it was run. [notice] jEdit: If you don't know what this means, don't worry. [notice] jEdit: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect [notice] jEdit: at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method) [notice] jEdit: at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl.java:333) [notice] jEdit: at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:195) [notice] jEdit: at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:182) [notice] jEdit: at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.java:366) [notice] jEdit: at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:519) [notice] jEdit: at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:469) [notice] jEdit: at java.net.Socket.(Socket.java:366) [notice] jEdit: at java.net.Socket.(Socket.java:208) [notice] jEdit: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit.main(jEdit.java:249)

What happens if you start jed
by cvicari on Tue, 15/05/2007 - 09:31
What happens if you start jedit with the -noserver option instead?

Can't seem to connect to the server.
by elberry on Tue, 15/05/2007 - 05:29
When you installed jEdit, did you use the Windows installer? If so, did you select to not have the server start up? If that's the case, try re-installing jEdit with the Windows installer and leave that option checked.

Again, I'm not on windows, so I'm sorry I'm not much help.

You could also post your issue to the user's mailing list.

Tried all suggestions still no luck
by blegger on Wed, 16/05/2007 - 14:52
Yes I am positive I removed my .jedit file. In fact I accidentally lost my macros as I failed to properly back it up.

I also uninstalled it and and re-installed it with the start server automatically option checked. I rebooted my machine and now it will not open up at all.

I then tried to run it with the -noserver option and it at least opens up but when I try and resize it I get the same connection error in the activity log and it closes. Here is the command I used:

"C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0\bin\javaw.exe" -Xms64M -Xmx192M -jar "C:\Program Files\jEdit\jedit.jar" -noserver

Here is the default command associated with the shortcut:

"C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0\bin\javaw.exe" -Xms64M -Xmx192M -jar "C:\Program Files\jEdit\jedit.jar" -reuseview

I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling java.

javaw
by elberry on Thu, 17/05/2007 - 02:07
Very strange.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here, it's been years since I've done any development on Windows.

Try executing the command using java instead of javaw. If I remember correctly, the javaw basically disconnects the process from the console. Maybe you're getting some error that's not in the Activity.log.

I don't know if you're using another IDE for java development, but I have gotten jEdit to run in Eclipse under debug mode. It's extreme, but if it's definitely not working for you, and you want to try it....

???
by Robert Schwenn on Wed, 16/05/2007 - 22:07
The lines from ActivityLog that You've copied for us do only log the beginning of jEdit's startup. They show absolutely no error - like the Log says itself "Don't worry" Smiling.

If You had hope that the crash is logged, You have to open the activity.log with another editor before jEdit is restarted and look for the last lines in the file.

But now regarding the real problem - it's weird:
Look at "Global Options -> Appearence" and deactivate the last 3 options.
Propably You could find suspicious options for the system's graphic adapter - try change them.
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348