jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Suppress %USERPROFILE% in visible path?
Submitted by gthorburn on Monday, 25 February, 2013 - 12:53
I've just upgraded to jEdit 5.0 in Win 7 Home, using the Windows installer.
I was pleased that it picked up all my customizations from 4.3, but whereever
a path is displayed, 5.0 it shows the env var %USERPROFILE% rather than the
actual path, which would be more helpful to me.

Can I get jEdit to show the actual path, eg, "C:\Users\me..." ?

Thanks,

-- Gary
Comment viewing options
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click 'Save settings' to activate your changes.
Not new
by Robert Schwenn on Mon, 25/02/2013 - 17:38
As of version 4.3 jEdit replaces parts of path names by matching environment variables, i.e. in title bar. I don't think this is optional, so it shouldn't be new for You.

You can toggle displaying the buffer's path in title bar via "Utilities -> Options -> Global Options -> View -> Show full path of buffer in title bar".

Path in title bar
by gthorburn on Tue, 26/02/2013 - 13:14
Thanks for your quick response, Robert. I was actually running 4.3 pre-15 which may have been before this change. I can't understand why displaying the name of the environment variable (ie, the text string "%USERPROFILE%") is preferable to substituting its value.

AND... I just looked at another system, where I installed jEdit 5.0 a while ago from the .jar; and manually setup Options. It shows the actual pathname just fine in the title bar. So it feels like what I'm seeing may be related using the windows installer, or how it translates config files from earlier versions when upgrading.

Feature request
by Robert Schwenn on Thu, 28/02/2013 - 09:34
Yea, this feature has been introduced later then pre15 Smiling. And certainly it's not specific to Windows or an installer type.

Since You're not the first irritated user, I filed a Feature request to make this behavior optional.

solved
by Robert Schwenn on Fri, 01/03/2013 - 14:01
The request has been realized immediately!

You could try the latest daily build .

Disable "Utilities -> Options -> Global Options -> View -> Abbreviate paths with environment variables if possible".

Do you know what I think woul
by Skeeve on Tue, 05/03/2013 - 09:21
Do you know what I think would be a great idea? Using environment variables in the stored properties files.

Sounds strange? Let me explain.

I'm using jEdit stored on an external 1.8" hard disk. When I use this hard disk on another computer, it could happen that I have another drive letter.

So my idea is to set, via batch scrpt which starts my jEdit, an environment variable like "JEDITDRIVE" or maybe "USERDOCUMENTS".

Each time I open a file, I would, if I understand correctly, see in my path, parts of it replaced with this environment variable's name, right?

So if now in the list of last opened files, or in any other list of files stored, this relacement also takes place, I would end up with a truly portable version of jEdit because the list does not read:

<PATH>F:\Documents\myfile.txt</PATH>

but

<PATH>%JEDITDRIVE%\Documents\myfile.txt</PATH>

or

<PATH>%USERDOCUMENTS%\myfile.txt</PATH>

Feature request
by Robert Schwenn on Tue, 05/03/2013 - 19:00
Just my opinion, so filed another feature request . But don't expect it to be realized as fast as the last one Eye-wink
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348