jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Switch View via Keyboard
Submitted by jman on Thursday, 27 March, 2014 - 16:34
Howdy,

v5.1.0, OSX 10.9.2

Is there a way to switch between views via the keyboard? NOT buffers, views.

Don't see that in the menu anywhere, otherwise it could be bound to a shortcut key combo.

Using multiple monitors it seems the only way to go to the other screen is with the mouse.

I often have each view showing on a different monitor, and each view may show a different active buffer. When tabbing back into jEdit from another program, focus always switches to the primary monitor, even if secondary was active when the program last had focus. This means involving the mouse.

Any tips? Thanks!
Comment viewing options
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click 'Save settings' to activate your changes.
Switching VIEWs not Buffer using a Mac
by MarkTJohnson on Thu, 02/11/2017 - 17:54
Function + Control + Up or Down Arrow will move you through the VIEWs
mac OS 10.12
MacOS function
by Robert Schwenn on Thu, 27/03/2014 - 19:04
Hi,
this is a functionality which the OS has to provide. Since I don't know MacOS, I just googled a bit and found these hits:

- http://computers.tutsplus.com/tutorials/how-to-toggle-within-and-between-apps-in-os-x--mac-56503

- http://superuser.com/questions/45310/switch-between-windows-on-mac-os-x

- http://support.apple.com/kb/PH4049

Hope it helps.
Robert

Hi, thanks for the reply and
by jman on Tue, 01/04/2014 - 18:47
Hi, thanks for the reply and links. Perhaps I wasn't clear. Don't believe this is an OS specific issue. Am very comfortable moving around via the keyboard. Generally speaking, for keyboard control OSX is CMD, PC is CTRL.

Regarding those links, CMD-Tab, CMD-` etc. are not the problem. Problem is switching from one view (in my case, from one monitor, though you could certainly have two smaller views on the same screen) to another without resorting to the mouse. There seems to be no menu choice for switching between views, so no way to map a keyboard shortcut to the behavior.

Clicking View/New View provides a whole new window showing all your tabs, sidebars, etc. It's just what it says, a new view. I drag that window to the secondary screen and maximize. Each view can have focus on a different buffer. This lets me have one screen for review while coding in another, sort of like splitting but taking advantage of the other monitor's real estate.

Now, to switch between the two views I must click into them with the mouse to set focus.

How, within jEdit can I switch focus between them via just the keyboard?

CMD-Tab - NO, this is for toggling between different apps, not between jEdit views or buffers.

CMD-` - NO, this is for toggling between the last two touched buffers in whatever view has the focus (as opposed to Adobe and many other programs, where it cycles between all open docs).

I use FN-CMD-Up and Dn to cycle through all buffers, and FN-CMD-Lft and Rgt to hop to the beginning and end of whatever buffer is active.

Just in case I'm missing something and it really is an OS specific issue, don't have a spare multi-monitor 'doze box handy, but how would one switch between two views via keyboard on a PC?

And is there a way to make jEdit "remember" which view was active when switching back to it from another running app (via CMD-TAB or CTRL-TAB)?

Something in jEdit is forcing the primary monitor to always get focus when CMD-Tabbing back into the program, even if the secondary monitor had focus before. Not sure if that qualifies as a bug, or if it happens on the PC side, but it sure is annoying.

MacOS function
by Robert Schwenn on Wed, 02/04/2014 - 16:48
Hi,
in Windows, jEdit views behave just like every application window: CTRL+TAB lets You switch from one window to another, no matter whether or not they belong to the same application.

At the web sites I linked for You, I read that Mac doesn't provide the same functionality. But I'm pretty sure that Your question has been discussed on these sites.

I cant't find a jEdit action to switch between views, so You can't assign a keyboard shortcut. Of course it may be possible to write a beanshell macro for this Eye-wink

Robert

Ah, my bad. CMD-` does switc
by jman on Thu, 03/04/2014 - 19:04
Ah, my bad. CMD-` does switch between the views after all. Not sure how I missed that.

Sorry for the confusion, and thanks for your comments!
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348