jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Edit window locks after switching to another app and back.
Submitted by ttmrichter on Friday, 18 July, 2008 - 03:37
This isn't a showstopper, but it's really annoying. I don't know if this is a bug or if it's something bad in my setup, so I'm posting here first to see if this can be resolved before reporting it formally as a bug.

Setup:
- jEdit 4.3pre14
- Ubuntu 8.04
- Java 1.6u7
- Plugins:
- AStyle Beautifier, Beauty, BufferList, BufferTabs, Code2HTML, Column Ruler, Common Controls, Console, CtagsSideKick, Editor Scheme, ErrorList, FTP, GnuRegexp, Hex Edit, Hyperlinks, Info Viewer, JavaScript Shell, JDiff Plugin, JTidy, Latest Version Check, MacroManager, Project Viewer, QuickNotepad, RecentBufferSwitcher, RFCReader, RubyPlugin, SideKick, SQL, SshConsole, SuperAbbrevs, SuperScript, Syntax Helper, TextTools, WhiteSpace, XercesPlugin, XInsert and XML

All of the plugins are at the latest known version according to the Plugin Manager.

With this setup, I experience some very bizarre behaviour. Whenever I switch away from jEdit, when I come back the edit window will simply not respond to the keyboard at all. Mouse activity works fine. I can get context menus. I can cut and paste using them. The editing window seems to be working fine in every respect except that it ignores the keyboard. To make the keyboard work, all I have to do is go to any other window -- say the console window or my side kick window or the project manager window -- and click inside it, giving it the focus. Then if I click back in the edit window everything works perfectly.

To me this smells of some kind of plug-in interaction problem, but I'll be damned if I can figure out what's clashing where. I've tried disabling various plug-ins here and there, but nothing seems to get rid of this problem. Still, with this many plug-ins loaded it's hard to figure out what combination is the magic one, so I'm asking for those more experienced with jEdit to lend me a hand with this.

What can I do to better characterize this problem and, even better, what can I do to get rid of it?
Comment viewing options
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click 'Save settings' to activate your changes.
Eye Candy?
by elberry on Fri, 18/07/2008 - 06:59
Just to make sure - you're using the Sun Java, not the GNU version right?

Also, do you have any Eye Candy installed in your Ubuntu? Beryl, Compiz, Compiz Fusion, etc...?

I've had this problem in the past, I don't remember exactly what it was, but I think it was that the jEdit application wasn't actually getting focus until I clicked it again.

Learn from the past. Live in the present. Plan for the future.
Blog

Don't like candy much. :)
by ttmrichter on Sun, 20/07/2008 - 07:25
I'm using Sun Java, yes. 1.6u6 and 1.6u7 both have been tested with this. I have no pointless, CPU-sucking eye candy installed beyond basic GNOME: no beryl, compiz* or anything of the sort.

And it's more sophisticated a problem than just not getting focus. I can click in the edit window a hundred times in a row and nothing happens. I have to click in a jEdit window other than the edit window first, then back in the edit window to get it working. Its like jEdit thought the edit window had focus so wasn't bothering to update it on a mere click.

settings
by Robert Schwenn on Tue, 22/07/2008 - 18:58
Hi, just today I've had a very similar problem:
Every time, when I opened a file via "File->Recent Files", jEdit seemed not to respond to keyboard - mouse behavior has been well. I got keyboard working well similar like You.

The surprising thing was: All key strokes that seemed to go to nirvana, had been sent to another open buffer!

Finally I *deleted my whole jEdit settings directory* and the spook has gone Smiling

BTW:
Initially the problem did occur immediately after install of the highlight plugin. But removing the plugin didn't help. And after "repair" I re-installed the highlight plugin without problems. (There are about 90 jar files in my jars directory).

Robert
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348