jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Focus jumps to source window
Submitted by coolcat on Thursday, 18 March, 2010 - 23:37
Hello, I'm hoping someone else can reproduce this frustrating problem that I experience 10 times a day. (PS I love JEdit and use it 8 hours a day).

Windows XP, Jedit 4.3.1
Plugin: Console 4.4.1 + ErrorList 1.8

I've implemented Error Patterns in Console to find errors from my c-compiler command line output. Works great. When compile is done, the error list plugin pops up with all the warnings / errors that I can click on to jump me to the code in question.

Problem: In the command window I type my build command and say it finishes with no errors or warnings. So I want to switch to a different directory (with a "cd" command) and run build again. Unfortunately, after I press the enter key after my first "cd" command, the focus suddenly jumps to the source window. I type very fast so I end up typing text into some random location in the source code.

Sounds trivial, but it happens again and again and again.

I've disabled "Auto-refocus on the text area" in the error list plugin, but that doesn't help.

Thoughts?

Many thanks

Steve
Comment viewing options
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click 'Save settings' to activate your changes.
I'm using the same system - a
by Robert Schwenn on Sun, 21/03/2010 - 15:09
I'm using the same system - and can't reproduce Your problem Eye-wink When I invoke a cd command in the system shell (Console dockable), the directory is changed and the caret is set into the next line after the prompt.

I tried about 20 times. How often does the focus change for You (relative to the cd commands You invoke)? Maybe that, when it happens, one of Your error patterns matches and an error is inserted into the error-list. Sometimes the error-list dockable is not been opened in this case...

Robert

Hmm, oh well, thanks for tryi
by coolcat on Mon, 29/03/2010 - 20:56
Hmm, oh well, thanks for trying though.

Basically, it only does the jump after a successful build (with no errors or warnings.) when I type cd ..

It does it almost every time after a build, except of course when I just went to try to create a screen cast, and then I could not get it to happen while recording using screencast-o-matic.

If I figure out a way to reproduce it I'll let you know.

Maybe it's a late result of t
by Robert Schwenn on Tue, 30/03/2010 - 18:27
Maybe it's a late result of the preceding build? Does it happen if You only open console and try "cd"..?

Robert

Absolutely right. It's alway
by coolcat on Thu, 08/04/2010 - 16:40
Absolutely right. It's always after a build. It doesn't seem to matter whether the Error List plugin received errors or not, but I'm suspicious of it because part of its functionality (a great part, if I might add), is that if I click on an error or warning that it parses it will take me to the exact line of the file where the error/warning occurred. It's really a wonderful plugin. With something like Visual Studio, you get all the errors appearing in the build log and you have to scroll through possibly thousands of lines to find them. Error Lists, using regular expressions, parses the output of all the various compilers I use (I'm in firmware land.) Except after a build, when I try to change directories using the cd command, it almost always jumps me to a seemingly random line of text in the current source file. I end up accidentally typing into it, and then I have to use the mouse to click back down to the console window.

Sorry, no more ideas :-( If
by Robert Schwenn on Thu, 08/04/2010 - 18:51
Sorry, no more ideas Sad
If You find a way to reproduce You should file a bug report at http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=565475&group_id=588&func=browse .

Robert
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348