jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
jEdit 4.2 no longer starts - what next?
Submitted by LongtimeUser on Wednesday, 20 October, 2010 - 13:46
Hello all,

I've been using 4.2 for several years because of the plugins for it, and installed it right away on this laptop when I got it 6 months ago. I have it running all the time. Then Monday I installed Plants vs Zombies and after a few hours it froze my computer. After rebooting jEdit will no longer start. As the FAQ suggests I tried moving all the files from .jedit/ (since Win 7 won't let me rename the directory), but that was no help. Java is fine, I can do >java -jar jedit.jar and the CLI gives me another prompt but nothing happens. Then I tried installing 4.3 (in a different location) as a last resort and it seems to have deleted my 4.2 directory - and still won't start up.

Oddly enough I went back to a previous laptop and found that 4.2 won't start up on that one either.

A) Anyone else had this happen?
B) Anything else I can try to get 4.2 working again?
C) What's the procedure for a clean install?
D) Or a side-by-side install with multiple jEdit versions?

Thanks!
Comment viewing options
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click 'Save settings' to activate your changes.
Magic
by Robert Schwenn on Wed, 20/10/2010 - 17:33
You seem to have magically connected notebooks Eye-wink

1. Did You invoked "java -jar jedit.jar" at a command prompt? If so, have You had jEdit's program directory as the current working directory? Can You see any output? Is there a jEdit splash screen?

2. When You install jEdit into a new directory, nothing will be deleted, believe it!

3. But jEdit uses always the same settings directory unless You specify the command line option "-settings=dir" (see http://www.jedit.org/users-guide/cli-usage.html#id2496548 ). Using this option You can safely use different versions of jEdit at the same time.

B) If You've installed Your plugins into Your settings directory (which is the default, I think), You cannot use different jEdit versions with this settings directory and propably You can't get back to 4.2, because the old plugins may be overridden meanwhile and Plugin Central isn't maintained for 4.2 anymore, I think.

C) A clean install is simply to use the installer, but:
C-1) It requires a clean un-install which should be possible via system control->software. After that You should re-start Windows and ensure that no jEdit server isn't running in background. Check if there is any "javaw.exe" process in task manager. Then delete the settings directory (.jedit)
C-2) At install, I would try to chose a program directory outside of C:\program files because of some special behavior in Windows 7...
C-3) At install, chose NOT to start jEdit server at Windows startup.
C-4) Install all plugins via plugin manager.

Robert
i have exactly the same probl
by doh on Wed, 20/10/2010 - 17:03
i have exactly the same problem. the last application i've "installed" was jflap. jflap works fine, but i can't start jedit. i've uninstalled and installed jedit again, but it didn't help.

Sad
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348