jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
how to stop jEdit from requesting network access
Submitted by plevintampabay on Monday, 24 October, 2011 - 02:12
Every time I start jEdit, I get a pop up from the Mac asking
Do you want the application "jEdit.app" to accept incoming network connections?

Every time I click Allow. Why does it keep asking?

Is there a way to make the Allow permanent or where can I configure jEdit to not request network access?

This is not just a Mac issue since I don't get that popup for Firefox or other network applications I use.
Comment viewing options
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click 'Save settings' to activate your changes.
This is not only a Mac specif
by Vampire on Mon, 24/10/2011 - 09:45
This is not only a Mac specific issue, but even specific to your mac.
This dialog does not come from jEdit but from your Mac OS X.
I've also used jEdit on Mac for testing purpose and I've never seen such a popup, so I think it is either some configuration option in your Mac OS X or some program like a firewall that you installed.
That Firefox and such don't show this popup probably means they don't want to accept incoming connections like the popup says.
jEdit uses an incoming connection on localhost so that not multiple instances are started if you invoke it multiple times, e. g. from the command line but that what you want to do is done in the already open instance.
You can deactivate this behaviour by using the -noserver commandline option which you could specify in jEdit's .plist file, but I heavily recommend not to use this as it is not meant for normal usage. What would happen is, that each time you invoke jEdit a new instance would be started regardless of whether an instance is running already or not. Besides needing startup time and memory resources each time it also probably behaves not like expected if you run more than one instance of jEdit on the same settings directory.
So summarizing I have to say, please find the setting in your system or the program that actually shows this popup and deativate it there for jEdit. I'm sorry, but I cannot give any advices about this as I heard about this the first time right now.

The problem is more wide spread than you think
by plevintampabay on Mon, 24/10/2011 - 14:46
I did some research and found this thread -

http://forum.vuze.com/thread.jspa?threadID=93338

which is dealing with some other java program for the Mac.

It seems that the problem I'm having with jEdit affects all Java programs running on 64-bit Max OS X, both Snow Leopard and Lion, when the Firewall is enabled.

Though the problem is not "in your code" the best solution lies with you; which is to sign your code, in particular the JavaApplicationStub file.

In that thread, the first viable solution starts at the Oct 14, 2010 6:30 PM post by carmatana.

Hopefully jEdit won't have the problem with code signing that the program being discusses there has.

If you read from the top, you'll see that the author of that program had also not heard of the problem before, just like you. But if you read all the way to the end, you'll see that many people have the problem I reported to you. This problem affects all Java programs running on Macs systems mentioned above.

If you do not have the ability to reproduce the problem, and if you're willing to sign your code, I'd be happy to test if that solves the problem.

more info on signing
by plevintampabay on Tue, 25/10/2011 - 03:52
The link I gave earlier, contained the following link which discusses code signing, and how Mac OS (starting with Leopard) deals with unsigned and invalidly signed code.

That link is --

http://forums.macnn.com/79/developer-center/355720/how-re-sign-apples-applications-once/

Basically, unsigned and incorrectly signed code will cause these OS pop ups to come up, with no way to prevent them from doing so.

That link gives the commands to check the signature on a program. Checking the jEdit application shows that it does not have a valid signature. It seems to imply that the code was changed since it was signed. Hence the OS will cause these pop ups to always come up.

There are also instructions on how to sign a program myself. I just tried that and the Firewall popups have stopped. I can stop and restart jEdit and I no longer get the Firewall pop up. Of course, if I get an update, and the updated code does not have a valid signature, they'll start again.

The signing was free and very easy. Please apply a valid signature on future updates. Thanks.

Java start
by Robert Schwenn on Mon, 24/10/2011 - 18:01
Hi,
I took a look at the mentioned forum thread. I'm not familiar with OSX, but it sounds that JavaApplicationStub (which seems to raise the question) is a vehicle for comfortable starting Java applications. If so, You may be able to start jEdit via ordinary invoking JVM, i.e.:

java -Xmx192M -jar jedit.jar -background -reuseview %*

The "%*" is Windows specific for "all command line arguments" and may need to replaced by a mac version.

Could You give it a try, please?

Robert

Very interesting
by plevintampabay on Tue, 25/10/2011 - 03:43
Robert,
That was interesting. First, on the Mac, jEdit actually has an executable that start java and runs jedit.jar.

I found jedit.jar in the Resources sub-directory and tried your command. It did start jedit, without the firewall pop up. The program menu, which on a mac belongs in the bar at the top of the screen, was instead at the top of the jedit window, just like it would be on Windows.

I did more reading about signing, which I'm rather sure now is the problem. I'll make another post in this thread with that information.

Thanks,
Paul
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348