jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
French translation
Submitted by jojaba67 on Monday, 20 February, 2012 - 15:15
Hello,

I know there are pro and contra for translation, but I'm more comfortable when the UI is in French when I work on a text editor or another application. So, since a couple of years, I try to translate my favourite text editor, jEdit. Now that 4.5.0 has been released, I submitted a new version of this translation : http://jojaba.free.fr/?/Traductions-diverses/Traduction-jEdit2 (sorry, the page is in french ;p ).

I would like to ask for some technical advises since I don't have real knowledge on how handling java files, especially *. properties files.
I would like to know if I had to remove some datas from the translated file to have it work properly for the upcomming versions. I wonder, for example, if I have to remove the following lines (and other lines that has not to be translated) :
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
# Plugin activation hooks
defer=false
startup=true

I also translated some plugins : http://jojaba.free.fr/?/Traductions-diverses/Traduction-jEdit3
In this case, should I remove for example this code for the beauty plugin :
plugin.beauty.BeautyPlugin.activate=defer
plugin.beauty.BeautyPlugin.name=Beauty
plugin.beauty.BeautyPlugin.author=Dale Anson
plugin.beauty.BeautyPlugin.version=0.7.0
plugin.beauty.BeautyPlugin.docs=docs/index.html
plugin.beauty.BeautyPlugin.depend.0=jdk 1.6
plugin.beauty.BeautyPlugin.depend.1=jedit 04.03.99.00
plugin.beauty.BeautyPlugin.depend.2=plugin CommonControlsPlugin 1.2
plugin.beauty.BeautyPlugin.usePluginHome=true

I put the translated files into the /properties/ folder in installation folder of jEdit

Thanks a lot for your help. Smiling
Comment viewing options
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click 'Save settings' to activate your changes.
Congratulations
by Robert Schwenn on Mon, 20/02/2012 - 18:19
Hi,
it's nice to see it, good work.

General hints on properties:

1. To determine the value of a property, jEdit reads at startup:
a) props files inside Java jar files
b) all *.props files in properties subfolder of jEdit home (file name doesn't matter)
c) the "properties" file in personal settings directory
Whenever a property with same name is read again (from b or c), the old value is overridden. This way You override the predefined GUI labels.

2. Where ever (in the source code) the developer has decided to not hardcode a value but read it from a property with a name of his choice, the property value is used.

Localization:
In general, I would remove all properties from Your localized props file which are not GUI labels or mnemonics. This way You don't block future changes of the developers. I.e. this would be all properties You mentioned except "plugin.beauty.BeautyPlugin.name=Beauty". By changing this property You could change the name of the plugin displayed in plugin manager.

I'd recommend to upload Your props files to jEdit Community Downloads , where I have placed a German localization. Also You could announce it at the jEdit User's Mailing List .

Robert

Thanks Robert for these infos
by jojaba67 on Mon, 20/02/2012 - 21:12
Thanks Robert for these infos. I knew the first one but wanted to have confirmation. About Localization, I will comment the lines witch are not pertinent for translation, this way I could easier compare with original props...
For the moment, I will leave the translation on my personal site (it's more comfortable to edit/change this way for me) and wait for comments of users. Could I add a link to my page into the link section of the community (Weblinks)? Maybe in the "Unsorted" folder?

Vielen dank nochmals. Jojaba

Hi, I'm not sure about "Webl
by Robert Schwenn on Tue, 21/02/2012 - 20:28
Hi,
I'm not sure about "Weblinks" (never look at this site). Maybe You better put the link in an article at the download site. But maybe it's not worth anymore because it will be integrated in jEdit for the future ...

Robert
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348