jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
font point to inch conversion different than usual typographic conventions?
Submitted by raisins on Saturday, 23 July, 2011 - 17:22
Hi,

I would like to set my printing font size and length of line (buffer options>wrap margin># characters) so that what I see on the screen is as it will be printed given the print margins I have set. So, I have a 6.5" wide print area (8.5" minus 2*1" margin) and found out that 9 point font should be 0.1245" width for each character (or 3.1627 mm). I then divided 6.5 by 0.1245 hoping to find how wide in characters my wrap margin should be set. The floor of this number is 52. Experimenting found this to be very wrong. I then held a ruler up to a page printed from jEdit using 9 point type and the character width is right around 2 mm. I could experiment around and find a margin that will work, but it would be nice to know the actual width of a point in inches or millimeters within jEdit (that way it is a bit quicker for future projects and more elegant). I suppose I could just dig out some calipers Eye-wink

So, am I being a total dunce here and missing the obvious or is 9 point font in jEdit not the same as usual? I thought perhaps the point system used was the Didot, truchet, postscript, or some other version, but none of these seem close (truchet makes the line too long on screen and the others too short).

Thanks,
Seth
setting things up for easy printing later?
Submitted by raisins on Saturday, 23 July, 2011 - 05:29
Dear all,

I would like my code to be formatted in a way where printing is easy. As is, jEdit indicates that my screen is displaying in Monospaced 12 plain font. The print options indicate that printing will be done in the same font except in 9 point font. However, when I print, the font is not 9 pt, it is still 12 pt. Am I missing something easy here?

I would like to set my font to 9 or 10 pt while editing and printing. However, when editing I would like to be able to zoom in (so 9 pt is bigger than it usually is). I have not found how to do this. When I set jEdit to 9 pt font, it simply shrinks the page and so nothing changes (I can fit no more text on a printable line). Any general advice would be appreciated. I am trying to format some code for publication, and I am not a computer scientist (perhaps obviously) and am looking for the most efficient way to do this. I'm pretty sure copying code into a Word .doc and formatting there would be a nightmare (and a duplication of work in some sense).

Thanks,Seth
fortran code.....changing commenting character to !
Submitted by raisins on Saturday, 23 July, 2011 - 04:40
Dear Community,

When I comment code I am getting the older fortran "C" comment character. I would like to change this to a !. Is this possible?

Thanks,
Seth
moving selected text
Submitted by Perkin5 on Wednesday, 20 July, 2011 - 11:14
When I drag and drop selected text, jedit by default copies the text. Is it possible to set it so that it just moves the text without copying?
Wrap code in tags
Submitted by Perkin5 on Saturday, 16 July, 2011 - 17:14
Is there a way in jEdit to select a bunch of text and wrap it in, say, p tags? or div tags?

I mean without having to type them in obviously.
Console plugin
Submitted by CodeBender on Tuesday, 12 July, 2011 - 20:33
Is it possible to have the console window located in the edit buffer area (just another 'file' to edit) - instead of floating or docked? Would save some space on the screen and would 'hide' it when not used instead of moving/clicking around.

Can I get horizontal scrollbars with the Console window (and no wrap)? Large command lines get very confusing this way.

Can I make the Console stay at the position I moved the vertical scrollbar to (in case the position is other than the bottom) instead of being positioned to the end with every output? Useful for longer compiles/executes in case I already want to use the time to read through the output...

I really like jEdit. I havn't spent too much time yet but it's got excellent features. However I want to be fast in editing. Especially loading files (no clicking - I may get used to the EBrowser plugin), cycling through my buffers, typing commands - not forced to take my hands off the keyboard and use the mouse to press buttons, menus or changing focus for the basic editing. I'm coming from SlickEdit V9 and am not that much convinced from its V16 - just too much auto this and that...
How to Change color/font schemes?
Submitted by dking on Wednesday, 15 June, 2011 - 20:29
Can anyone explain or point me to where I can find information on how to change/create jEdit color and font schemes? I've searched jEdit's forum and wiki, but found nothing. Thanks.
Default character set (encoding) per server
Submitted by 1234ru on Wednesday, 15 June, 2011 - 12:30
Hi, guys.

I'm enjoying using jEdit and wanted to know one thing.

I work with many remote servers which often have files in different encodings.

Can I somehow determine default encoding per server?
Drag and drop
Submitted by Perkin5 on Tuesday, 7 June, 2011 - 17:42
I have just started using jEdit and love it but I'm having trouble with drag and drop. If I drag an image into the text area, I don't get the same effect as with, say, Dreamweaver, where an img src code snippet appears in the text.

Is that meant to happen and what am I doing wrong?
Code Alignment
Submitted by CJreige on Wednesday, 1 June, 2011 - 21:55
Is there any way to vertically align code by any character such as equals and period?
How to code fold so that it also folds the comments that are inside the fold?
Submitted by rickcr on Wednesday, 25 May, 2011 - 15:05
I have folding set to 'sidekick.' In a javascript file if I have

function foo() {
/*
bla
bla
*/
}

it shows the fold for foo() but when clicked it doesn't hide the comments. since the comments are inside the function I'd expect them to be hidden also. How can I achieve this?

Thanks
Leaving in leading whitespace when breaking text line
Submitted by rps on Saturday, 21 May, 2011 - 11:33
I'm a new jEdit user and have just run across a "feature" that is causing me problems. When I position into a line of text containing space characters, with the cursor positioned immediately before a space charcter and then hit ENTER to break the line, the leading spaces (regardless of how many space characters there are) are removed from the new line. I work in a transaction processing environment and often have to parse message trace logs where space characters are just as important as any other character. How to I get jEdit to leave the spaces in the new line?
Create a keybinding
Submitted by flebber on Tuesday, 17 May, 2011 - 11:58
Is it possible to create a key binding? I want to create a key binding for Save As...
Synchronized Scolling?
Submitted by CJreige on Thursday, 21 April, 2011 - 19:23
Hi.

Does anyone know of a plug-in that will do the following? I'd like to split the screen vertically into two panes. I want to see the 'same' file in both panes. In the left pane I want to see the first xx number of lines. In the right pane I want to see the same file but starting at xx + 1. When I scroll, both panes would scroll together. Basically, I want a second pane to show the 'overflow' lines from the first pane.

Thank you,
CJ.
In a Search RegEx - how do I specify where the Caret goes?
Submitted by FatDog on Thursday, 21 April, 2011 - 15:19
I am looking for strings like:

"The Angry Squrl" [1/8]

I know how to do the RegEx - but when I search - the Caret is left at the beginning of the matched string. I want the Caret to be in a specific place so I can add things.

In the above example - I need the caret to be before the "[" character.

Is there a special character I can put into a search string that tells Jedt where to put the Caret if found?

My RegEx that finds the string is as follows:

\w+"\s+\[\d
How do I uninstall ALL of the plug-ins in jEdit?
Submitted by thedoctor818 on Monday, 18 April, 2011 - 03:37
I wish to know how I can uninstall ALL plug-ins in jEdit so I can reinstall only those I need, and more readily detected those, if any, which are giving me problems. Thanks for the help.
Is it a bug for code completing?jEdit 4.3
Submitted by daition on Saturday, 16 April, 2011 - 08:33
Hi all,
I'm a newbie to jEdit, I like it very much except the feature - code complete. Here is the problem I met.

I've installed both SideKick and JavaSideKick. When I type in a dot after the name of a class or an object, only class methods are shown. Eg.When I typed in "System.", all the methods of class "System" will be shown; however, when I typed in "JFrame a = new JFrame()" and "a.", nothing was shown.

Could anyone give any hint? Or is it a bug for jEdit plugins?

Thanks in advance!
Autoclose Brackets
Submitted by CJreige on Saturday, 16 April, 2011 - 02:31
Hi everybody.

I think this has been asked before but I need to make double sure. Is there a setting (or plugin) that will autoclose brackets, braces, & parentheses? I've seen a couple of forum responses that suggest using abbreviations. I don't want this solution as I'd have to either use the space bar or c+;. I use jEdit as my principle tool for coding. It'd be great to have this small feature added.
Ctagsinterface: including arguments of tagged functions in tooltips?
Submitted by tp21 on Monday, 11 April, 2011 - 12:07
Is this possible through ctags invocation options possibly? Apologies if that's a stupid question. A feature request there's no way at the mo? Would be lush.
Opening JEdit
Submitted by thedoctor818 on Saturday, 9 April, 2011 - 19:39
When I try to open JEdit, it gets as far as instlling plug-ins then freezes up, and I cannot close it. Plese help.
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348