jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Minimise to notifications area
Submitted by nsydenham on Saturday, 28 July, 2007 - 22:13
Use JDIC to allow minimize to notifications area
SQL plugin -- show number of results
Submitted by awarberg on Thursday, 12 July, 2007 - 10:59
Hello Is it possible to setup the SQL plugin to show the number of rows retrieved from the query? Right now it will show the exact number when the number is <= 10, but for >10 it just shows >10... the exact number would be very valuable to me. Thank you for a great program (jedit) and an awesome plugin (SQL). Best regards Andreas Warberg
Autosave directory
Submitted by greghk on Monday, 9 July, 2007 - 21:13
Would like to put files on external storage such as USB flash (and even diskettes). Then jEdit them directly on the external storage. For speed and to reduce the write cycles on the external storage I would like to put the directory for the autosave file on a hard drive.

The deluxe implementation might be to specify a default global autosave directory, then an optional buffer autosave directory in case of name conflicts. Minimum and safest implementation would probably be to put the autosave directory in the buffer options.

There seems to be a lull in jEdit development so I would be willing to spend some time on a macro or plugin. A quick peak in the jEdit API Reference shows org.gjt.sp.jedit.bufferio.BufferAutosaveRequest which takes a path parameter. So a hack might be to turn off autosave, then implement an autosave plugin with some simple minded path redirection. Recovery would then be manual. Any design suggestions appreciated.
PHP Debug
Submitted by kris_ro on Saturday, 16 June, 2007 - 09:11
Is there a PHP debugger plugin for jEdit or can be developed one ?

Thank you
fonts in dialog boxes
Submitted by McSwell on Friday, 15 June, 2007 - 20:40
Is there any chance that the font that is chosen for text could also be used in the search dialog box? I'm editing text that contains Bengali words in Unicode (OK, I admit that probably isn't a common use...). If I choose the Vrinda font for my text, the Bengali characters show up reasonably well (although jEdit isn't displaying some of the messier things right--XMLmind, which is also written in Java, manages to display Bengali text correctly, so I know this isn't impossible). But when I paste Bengali text into the search dialog box, I get little squares (two for each Bengali character, since they take two bytes in UTF-8). Likewise if I choose Arial Unicode MS.

I realize there may be problems with following the user's choice of font size, e.g. if I choose 24 point Vrinda, XMLmind will probably have to use 12 point in the dialog box (or else do a lot of re-sizing). But I believe the font choice could be preserved.

Mike Maxwell
Save folds with file
Submitted by McSwell on Friday, 15 June, 2007 - 18:35
When a file is closed or jEdit is shut down, save the fold status of the file(s) as well.

(This was posed as a how-to question in the "Using jEdit" forum by someone, and then seconded and thirded as a wish (the last time by me). Since it apparently is not presently possible, I'm repeating it here as a request for an enhancement.)

Mike Maxwell
New Java Interface
Submitted by CJreige on Wednesday, 6 June, 2007 - 14:47
I work for a software company who creates their interface in Java. They've recently upgraded the interface using a toolkit called JIDE. In case any of you were not aware of JIDE here is a link:

http://www.jidesoft.com/

I know nothing about this sort of thing, but it'd be awesome to see jEdit wrapped in this interface!

Cheers,
CJ
jEdit JNLP support?
Submitted by CapM on Tuesday, 5 June, 2007 - 12:40
Is there any special reason why jEdit does not have a JNLP installer? I think it would be a nice Feature, especially if it could help to keep your jEdit install current, without the need to reinstall in different directories. Not to mention the ability to install it with one click on your coworkers machines to convert them from other editors... Eye-wink Comments plx!
Vim like omnicomplete
Submitted by beaubert on Monday, 21 May, 2007 - 10:38
Hi all,

Jedit is becoming better and better and to me there are only one or two features that will make Jedit THE perfect editor.

One of those features (before a real terminal or ssh plugin) is a completion feature like vim 7 omnicomplete for python, C, C++, ...

Is this kind of feature intersting for other users ?

Any way thank your very much for this very good software
BBCode Syntax Highlighting
Submitted by Pyrofyr on Sunday, 13 May, 2007 - 06:36
Well, I work with BBCode a lot to write up guides for forums and such, and have found that it would be a lot easier if there were a way to highlight syntax for it, I've looked through the User Doc, and the Wiki (Which appears to be broken), and haven't found a way to fix this up myself. So I'm requesting it. :/
quick delete of both brackets
Submitted by djDeathx on Saturday, 21 April, 2007 - 06:36
I love jEdit, it resembles my all time linux editor Kate with the window splitting. jEdit has many functionalities, but one that could aid a programmer in getting work done _how_ they want to, would be:

On keyPresses deleting left or right bracket (from ex:" (test) ") would find the first closing or opening bracket and delete it as well. If the word 'test' was another longer word, moving the cursor to the beginning or ending of the word by means of arrow keys or CTRL + arrow keys takes longer to perform since it has 2x as many presses of the backspace button.

One change doesn't make a difference, but if your going through a stack status conditions and there's a lot of manipulation going on, it would come as a great help;

I hope you implement it. I am hooked on jEdit while on 'doze.

Thanks
Jedit Markers - Storing Marker in jEdit settings folder as opposed to locally
Submitted by thamiral on Friday, 6 April, 2007 - 04:03
Hello all,

I use jEdit quite a bit and one of the features that I always use is the Marker feature, which allows me to get back to certain locations after having switched to another buffer.

Unfortunately jEdit markers create a temporary MARKS file locally for each file that has been "marked". This starts getting confusing, especially if there are many files in a directory.

I think it would be great to have jEdit, store this kind of information in a central location (such as the jEdit Settings Folder). As a matter of fact, jEdit already stores information about individual files, such as last line, in the jEdit settings Folder.

I'm curious to know what everyone thinks of this idea!

Sincerely,

Taha
jEdit chatbox plugin?
Submitted by AlexCory on Wednesday, 28 March, 2007 - 14:46
I noticed you have a "chatbox" on the community website. Everytime I use it no one is ever on. My suggestion is to create a chatbox plugin to put into jEdit. I believe this will allow others to obtain help quickly from experienced jEdit users.

If anyone is like me and keeps their jEdit App open at all times (for me at work) then this could prove useful when trying to obtain help quickly.

Alex Cory
Dominion Enterprises
highlight current line only in active pane
Submitted by McSwell on Friday, 23 March, 2007 - 17:31
When I split the window into two or more panes (View | Splitting | Split {horizontally, vertically}), it's hard for me to tell which pane the cursor is in. (OK, if jEdit is the only app I'm using, I can probably remember, but when I switch to a different app and then come back, my memory fails me.)

Currently, the only way (AFAIK) is to look for the "caret". But this can be hard to notice, even if it's a blinking red (outline) block. (No comments on my eyesight, please!)

My suggestion: when the current line is highlighted (Global Options, in the dialog box "Highlight current line" is checked under jEdit->Text Area), only highlight the current line of the *active* pane (= active "Text Area").

An alternative or additional possibility would be to slightly gray the non-active pane.

Mike Maxwell
Highlighting Issue
Submitted by Lance on Friday, 9 March, 2007 - 20:29
I am having trouble getting my syntax highlighting to work with one form of comments. I am making a highlighter for Pick BASIC. Comments can be in the following format:

REM This is a comment
* This is a comment
A = A + 1 ;* Everything after the * is a comment
100 * Everything after the * is a comment. The 100 is a label.
MYLABEL: * Everything after the * is a comment. The MYLABEL: part is a label.

Currently everything is highlighting fine except the last two comment types. It doesn't seem to recognize them as comments. Here's the relevant part of the highlighter xml:

<MODE>
	<PROPS>
<!--		<PROPERTY NAME="lineComment" VALUE="*" /> -->
	</PROPS>

<RULES IGNORE_CASE="TRUE" HIGHLIGHT_DIGITS="TRUE">
		<SPAN TYPE="LITERAL1" NO_LINE_BREAK="TRUE">
			<BEGIN>"</BEGIN>
			<END>"</END>
		</SPAN>
		<SPAN TYPE="LITERAL2" NO_LINE_BREAK="TRUE">
			<BEGIN>'</BEGIN>
			<END>'</END>
		</SPAN>

<!-- conditional compilation -->
		<EOL_SPAN_REGEXP TYPE="COMMENT1" AT_LINE_START="TRUE">\d+ \*</EOL_SPAN_REGEXP>
		<EOL_SPAN TYPE="KEYWORD2">#if</EOL_SPAN>
		<EOL_SPAN TYPE="KEYWORD2">#else</EOL_SPAN>
		<EOL_SPAN TYPE="KEYWORD2">#end</EOL_SPAN>

<EOL_SPAN TYPE="COMMENT1" AT_WHITESPACE_END="TRUE">*</EOL_SPAN>
		<EOL_SPAN TYPE="COMMENT1">;*</EOL_SPAN>
		<EOL_SPAN TYPE="COMMENT1">; *</EOL_SPAN>
		<EOL_SPAN TYPE="COMMENT1">REM</EOL_SPAN>

Functions and operators are listed below here but didn't seem relevant to the problem. Any help on getting this working would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

printing with folds
Submitted by AlexCory on Friday, 9 March, 2007 - 19:10
jEdit 4.3pre8 using Java 1.5.0_09

Hello,

I'm using a plugin called the Configurable Fold Handler in jEdit. It comes in handy for wrapping up code in the window using little triangles in the left sidebar. I tried to print my code today where I had a fold inside of it. I didn't expect the fold to print out since it was folded. I expected it to print out 1 line where the fold was displaying, but it actually printed out the entire contents of the fold.

Is there a way to print what the buffer window EXACTLY looks like so that it doesn't print the fold contents? if not, could this be implemented with a future release of a plugin?

to redo this issue:
fold a piece of code within your normal fold tags, for me thats { /* open and } */ close. Configurable Fold Handler should use regular expressions for this aka. \{|/\* and \}|\*/ I'm using php but I'm pretty sure this issue can arise in C,C++,and Java.

Thanks,

Alex Cory
Dominion Enterprises
Column selection
Submitted by BigNate on Monday, 5 March, 2007 - 17:25
I'd like to be able to select columns (vertically). I've seen this in one of Microsoft's Visual Studio editors (version 6 if I recall) and it is incredibly useful. Holding down a modifier key like shift, control or alt and dragging a rectangle across multiple lines should select columns (ie. cols 3, 4 & 5 across several full-length lines) which can then be cut/copy/pasted across multiple columns, inserting the text into the middle of multiple lines. This is very useful for HTML as well as programming code, allowing a developer to paste a list of variables or parameters into several lines of similar code.

Is there a way to do this already or to have someone implement this functionality in jEdit?
REQ: Editable fold stings
Submitted by wrongway on Wednesday, 28 February, 2007 - 16:23
I am looking for a feature to allow me to change jedits default fold strings from {{{ }}} to something like { }.

I used to use the customizable folds plugin, but that hasnt worked since 4.3pre2. It appears something changed in the api, and the plugin is no longer actively developed.

Someone PLEASE help... Jedit is the best editor on the planet, and it can no longer do automatic folding...
Toggle comment instead of insert comment
Submitted by ZortTheMighty on Friday, 9 February, 2007 - 23:26
Could you please change the Line Comment (Edit > Source > Line Comment) and Block Comment (Edit > Source > Block Comment) actions to toggle comments instead of simply adding them. i.e. If the selected text is already marked as a comment then remove the comment marking.
Hide Columns in File System Browser?
Submitted by mkuehn on Monday, 5 February, 2007 - 16:46
Is there any way to hide columns in the File System Browser? I don't care to see anything but the file/directory name. I'll edit config files, install a plug-in, whatever it takes.

I've been looking for this feature for a long time. Does it already exist somehow, somewhere? If not, how hard is it to add the feature? From my non-application developer perspective, it would be as simple as not showing the columns that are unchecked in a preferences pane somewhere.

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Matthew
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82349