jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Help info suggestions (3 total)
Submitted by a992400 on Monday, 24 October, 2005 - 15:29

In the Help pages and "Tip of the Day" pop-up boxes, the keystrokes given for any command are always the default keystrokes, even when the actual command keystrokes have been changed by the user (via Utilities > Global Settings). It would be terrific if these pages were dynamic -- in that when the user has changed the keystrokes for a command, it is reflected in the Help and Tip pages.

The Help window has two panes, the left one displaying an outline of all of the Help topics. The first six topics ("Welcome to jEdit" through "GNU Free Documentation License") cannot be collapsed into a single heading the same way that most of the other topics can. These six entries are rarely accessed, but consume a fair amount of space in the left pane. It would be great if they were grouped under one heading, and thus could be collapsed and hidden away.

In the online Help information, keyboard shortcuts are formatted as, for example, "Control-E X". But in the Utilities > Global Options > Shortcuts list it would be "C-e x". It would be much more clear if they were consistent, and if they followed the most common convention now in use, in this case, "Ctrl + E, X". One advantage to this convention is that it matches what is seen on almost all keyboards (of Intel machines), namely, "Ctrl", "Alt", "Shift", and capital letters for the alphabetic keys.

Indenting of continuation lines specifiable by user
Submitted by a992400 on Monday, 24 October, 2005 - 04:59

Currently, jEdit does soft wrapping of long paragraphs so that the continuation lines (second, third, etc.) are indented to the same level as the first line of the paragraph. For example, if the paragraph is indented four spaces, then all continuation lines are also indented four spaces (using underscores as spaces in my examples):

First line of long and wrapped paragraph...
    second line of same paragraph...
    third line...

However, there are many cases in which it would be nice to have all of the continuation lines indented to a different level than the first line. For example, most business correspondence is now formatted so that each paragraph has no indentation, and is separated from other paragraphs with one blank line. But many writers and editors still like the more traditional style, in which the paragraph is indented five spaces, and all continuation lines of that paragraph are not indented at all:

[Example #2:]

First line of long and wrapped paragraph...
second line of same paragraph...
third line...

Another common example is source code whose lines extend past the right margin of the screen, and thus get wrapped:

First line of first long and wrapped source code statement...
    second line of same code statement...
    third line...
    First line of second long and wrapped source code statement...
    second line of second code statement...

Far more readable would be (indenting continuation lines with four extra spaces):

third line...

or my favorite: indenting continuation lines with eight extra spaces -- to distinguish them from lower block levels:

[Example #5:]

third line...

Traditionally this wrapping of long source lines has been done with "hard wrapping" (i.e., inserting carriage return/newline pairs to force the wrapping), often with a limit of 80 characters per line, so all of the code fit on the screen, with none of it disappearing past the right margin. But now that programmer's editors are getting smarter, and allow soft word wrapping, it would be great if jEdit could allow the user to specify the number of spaces that the continuation lines should be indented relative to the first line (i.e., the indentation of the paragraph as a whole). For instance, in my Example #2, the user would indent the paragraph five spaces, and specify -5 (negative five) as the indentation for continuation lines. In Example #5, indentation of continuation lines would be set to 8. Setting the value to 0 (zero) would of course result in all of the lines of the paragraph lining up vertically. So far, I've been thinking of the indentation setting to be a relative value (i.e., relative to the indentation of the first line). Even better would be the option of specifying either a relative value, or an absolute value. For instance, an absolute value of 4 would cause all continuation lines to be indented four spaces, regardless of the indentation of the first line. I can imagine a number of scenarios in which that would be very useful.

Help info Find, and Up and Down
Submitted by a992400 on Monday, 24 October, 2005 - 04:56
When viewing a Help page, when the right hand pane (the one containing the actual Help text) has focus, it would be great to be able to search for a string on the page.

Also, Page Up and Page Down work, but the Up and Down arrow keys do not. They could raise or lower the text one line at a time.
Alt hotkey for Search > Find dialog Find button
Submitted by a992400 on Monday, 24 October, 2005 - 04:43
The Search > Find dialog dialog box has a default button, "Find", which does not have an Alt hotkey (unlike the other buttons). Even though the user can hit Enter, it would be more convenient to hit Alt + F, since the user is often already using Alt + R to make replacements when prompted.
Search > Find dialog box should not block found text
Submitted by a992400 on Monday, 24 October, 2005 - 04:42
The Search > Find dialog box often blocks the found text. It should automatically move up or down, revealing the found text, so the user doesn't have to do it manually. Surely the code that finds and highlights the text knows what screen line it is on, and the current position of the dialog box.
Show matching quotes
Submitted by a992400 on Monday, 24 October, 2005 - 04:33
jEdit shows the matching brace or parenthesis when the edit cursor is to the right of a brace or parenthesis. It should do the same for matching double and single quotes, at least if they are on the same line of text.
Ignore "}" lines when doing folding
Submitted by a992400 on Monday, 24 October, 2005 - 04:29
Currently jEdit will fold code like...
    sub x() {
        yadda yadda
    }
    sub y() {
        yadda yadda
    }
...as...
    sub x() {
    }
    sub y() {
    }
jEdit should fold in any lines that only contain whitespace and one "}", so twice as much important code is displayed per screen, e.g.
    sub x() {
    sub y() {
Perhaps have it as an option, in case anyone prefers seeing those singleton }'s. My current workaround is to indent those visible }'s an extra space, which is a pain.
Don't expand fold when paste it
Submitted by a992400 on Monday, 24 October, 2005 - 04:21
Currently jEdit expands folded text when it is pasted, which forces the user to refold the text. It's especially annoying when the user is moving multiple chunks of folded text around. jEdit should keep the folded text folded.
BufferTabs
Submitted by Robert Schwenn on Sunday, 23 October, 2005 - 17:49
Please: add a popup menu item to "save as ..." the current buffer.
StatusBar: time of current buffer
Submitted by Robert Schwenn on Sunday, 23 October, 2005 - 17:42
It would good to see date and time of last save of the current buffer's file in the status bar.
Load/save of abbreviation sets?
Submitted by davmay on Saturday, 22 October, 2005 - 01:14
Is it currently possible to save or load whole sets of abbreviations for a particular mode? If not, this would be a useful feature, as it would allow users to share abbreviation sets and modify them rather than having to build their own from scratch.
Load/save of abbreviation sets?
Submitted by davmay on Saturday, 22 October, 2005 - 01:14
Is it currently possible to save or load whole sets of abbreviations for a particular mode? If not, this would be a useful feature, as it would allow users to share abbreviation sets and modify them rather than having to build their own from scratch.
GUIEditor
Submitted by hithacker on Wednesday, 19 October, 2005 - 16:08
Hey guys, why we don't have GUIEditor Plugin in jEit?If any 1 intrested in developing GUIEditor Plugin for jEdit, please share your ideas.
FTP with Project Manager (first time poster)
Submitted by Nicodemas on Thursday, 13 October, 2005 - 22:33
Hello! I am very new to jEdit, but I have to say - I'm a believer. I've spent a lot of time writing apps for the web, and I have never found any one editor that meets all my needs. But so far, jEdit is the leader. It has some really nice features.

Something I would like to see, however, is an integration between a Project Manager (like the plugin available) and an FTP client who's settings are stored with the project's (host, username, password, use base local directory, etc...)

>> the ability to select multiple files from the Project Viewer and upload them, or download them from remote server

>> Use Base Local Directory - if the local file is on a subdirectory of the base local directory, it will be uploaded to the corresponding subdirectory of the remote server

I don't know how many times I've uploaded something using an FTP client into the wrong sub directory... Sad

Is there already a plug in for this? I might sound quite demanding, and in truth, my hat goes off to any developer who builds these very useful plugins. My talents are in web applications, only. I have no idea how to create plugins. Without dedicated folk like you, I'd probably still be using notepad and CuteFTP.
Color per mode, not global color and adding new color type
Submitted by Baldurien on Wednesday, 12 October, 2005 - 13:32
Hi,

I'm working with a four-mixing language (xhtml+css+javascript+php and certain time a five one). and usually I use keyword1 for language structure (so, for js & php, it would be if, elseif, else, etc) but when it come to CSS, i would like to use different colors :

For CSS1 properties (ex: display), i would like this to be keyword1, for CSS2.1 (ex; z-index) i would like this to be keyword2, etc for values. The fact is when i'm in multi mode, or even in CSS mode, the keyword1 is dedicated to language structure.

The feature missing here in jEdit is a color setting per mode. For example, when I'm in CSS mode, I'd like to have CSS mode colors, when I'm in Java mode, I'd like to have Java mode colors, etc.

So as a feature, it could be good to have the abilities to have color set per languages.

Also, other thing I noted is that we don't what represent KEYWORD1, etc. For my CSS, I would like to replace the "KEYWORD1" label (in the Global Options > Syntax highlight) by "CSS 1.0 Properties").

It could be added in the xml with a tag :

COLORSHEME
COLOR NAME="xxx" TITLE="CSS 1.0 Properties" DEFAULT="KEYWORD1" /
/COLORSHEME

In this case, NAME is the name of the color : it could be used in TYPE to add our colour (ex: for a multi mode like php, I may have PHP_INSTRUCTION, PHP_VARIABLE, etc), TITLE is the title of the colour, to describe what it does, and finally DEFAULT would be the default value for the color (if not set in the theme)
sticky ALT key
Submitted by McSwell on Monday, 10 October, 2005 - 18:56
This is a follow-up to my posting in the "Using jEdit" forum. I would like the capability of making the ALT key "sticky", that is, if I touch _and release_ the ALT key, then hit an (appropriate) character key, I should get the corresponding menu item. For example, should get me the "File" menu. As it is now, only the sequence works. This is _unlike_ all other apps I have used in MS-Windows, where it is not necessary to hold down the key while typing the letter key. As it is now, the sequence gives you an 'f' in the current buffer (most annoying Sad). I'm not saying "sticky ALT" should be the default behaviour for everyone (and certainly not the _only_ behaviour), only that it should be an option for those of us who are used to the Windows way of doing things. It would also be _nice_ if when you press the ALT key, the accelerator keys in the menu would be underlined. Currently, they are always underlined in certain look-and-feels (like Metal), and _never_ underlined in others (like Windows and Windows Classic). I would be happy just to get the stickyness, the underline isn't so important (although other people's mileage may vary). Thanks for considering this!
Close Selected
Submitted by Juxi on Friday, 7 October, 2005 - 15:32
Working with a large open source cart, I frequently open 3-5 or more files as I trace the code.
After working in several areas, I may have 15-20 files open.

Eventually I want to close all, but a few core files that are usually kept open.

Choice 1; Individually close a dozen or more files.
Choice 2; Close All and reload the 2,3,4 core files.
Choice 3; Close Selected [a flyout showing open files with a check box for each and one submit button]

I have looked for Choice 3 many, many times.
Its not in the version I have.
Hope to see it in a future one.
Thank you.
Default Printer
Submitted by Jason16384 on Wednesday, 5 October, 2005 - 21:19
I maintain Linux systems that are used for programming at a small liberal arts university. When students print they are generally not very observant to which printer they are printing too. It is useful to be able to set a default printer so that students don't have to figure out which printer they are using. Also, some of the professors that use Jedit to print lots of code examples get annoyed that they have to select the correct printer every time they go to print. If Jedit would use the default system printer or allow one to be configured that would improve the user experience for those at my university. I'm sure other users of Jedit would also like a default printer option.
OEM 2 ANSI
Submitted by jaguar080 on Tuesday, 4 October, 2005 - 20:58
Hi, it would be great to be able to read the DOS/OEM character set, and to convert it to ansi characters and vice versa.
expanded right- click menu
Submitted by vupt on Tuesday, 27 September, 2005 - 00:09
I really like how easily you can customize the right-click menu and add your own shortcuts. But a feature I think would be really nice would be to have submenu items within the right-click menu. And so you can group shortcuts within a submenu.
For example, when you right click the mouse you would see something like this:
Menu1>
Menu2>

Anything with a ">" indicates a submenu. And then when you click on Menu1, you would see its submenu.

Menu1 >
shortcut1
shortcut2
Menu2 >

regards,
Phong
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348