jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Function notification?
Submitted by Anonymous on Thursday, 9 September, 2004 - 03:06
Im looking to see if there is a plugin, or feature that will tell me what Functions are in the file i have open as well as tell me which function im currently in.

Example text:

function Something()
{

# when typing in here it would tell me im in Something.

}

And then i would imagine there being some sort of drop down list that i can see the functions in the file, and be able to select one and be taken to the first line of that function.

Thanks for your help in advance!
Expand the Span
Submitted by RaeVanMorlock on Wednesday, 8 September, 2004 - 16:53
I just found out about jEdit last night and I like it more than my previous editor; however, it's HTML syntax highlighting is lacking. So I endeavored to improve upon it. I got lists of all the elements and tags according to the HTML 4.01 specs and entered them as keywords, but problems occur distinguishing the two. For instance, "style" can be both a tag and an element.

I decided that the best approach would be to use regexp to highlight things according to their positions within a tag.

Element -- </({0,1}\w+?)
Attribute -- <\w+?(\s+?(\w+)=".+?")*>

[Note: I'm not sure that the question marks should be there, I just read in the Help Docs that "if a repeating operator is immediately followed by a ?, the repeating operator will stop at the smallest number of repetitions that can complete the rest of the match" so I hope I'm understanding that correctly.]

So the problem currently is that this doesn't really work for two reasons.

1) The SPAN_REGEXPs are set to highlight everything that matches them, but we need to specify stuff that needs to come before and after the attribute in order to be sure that we have an attribute. A solution could be to only highlight what is matched by the innermost parentheses when they exist. An option to toggle this behavior may also be needed in case someone needs to specify a repeating pattern but still highlight the entire regex.

2) Using regex under the main rules will include searching of things outside of the HTML tags. By making a ruleset to apply only to things inside HTML tags, you can get better results. But then, the 'greater than' and 'less than' signs cannot be used in the matching. So what I'm trying to suggest here is that the BEGIN and END sequences are included.

For a simple demonstration of what I'm trying to say, Consider this abbreivated mode file:

<SPAN TYPE="MARKUP" DELEGATE="TAGS">
    <BEGIN>&lt;</BEGIN>
    <END>&gt;</END>
</SPAN>

<RULES SET="TAGS" DEFAULT="MARKUP" ESCAPE="\">
    <KEYWORDS>
        <KEYWORD1>xxx</KEYWORD1>
    </KEYWORDS>
</RULES>

And this source code:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en">
</html>

Now if xxx were replaced with "<html" to ensure that only the HTML tag (and not the instance of "html" within the !DOCTYPE tag) is highlighted--it wouldn't work because in ignores the BEGIN and END marks. Of course, if this did work properly then the < sign would also be highlighted, which is not the enteded behavior. That's why this is just a simplified example of the behavior that I'm talking about and why using regex and highlighting the inner-most parenthesis would be a better way to handle this.

So with the way it currently behaves, you would have to replace xxx with "html" to see any type of result. In this case, the instance of "html" within the !DOCTYPE tag is also highlighted. This may not seem like terribly bad behavior, but it is when applied to "style" because you can have:

<STYLE type="text/css">
H1{ font-size: 10pt; }
</STYLE>

and:

<span style="font-size: 10pt">

Which clearly shows that "style" can be both a tag and an element, but it will have the same format applied regardless.

I hope I explained everything clearly here. I'll try to check back frequently to answer any questions.
CompleteWord.InsertSelected could check the value of IgnoreCase
Submitted by dvht on Wednesday, 8 September, 2004 - 15:30
When I type "proc" and then press C+b in PL-SQL editmode, it gets completed with "EDURE", forming the (correct) keyword "procEDURE". I know, I could type "PROC" and it would be "PROCEDURE" and if I wanted "procedure", I could change PL-SQL.xml accordingly. But why not check for the last letter typed, and add an uppercase version or an lowercase version of the substring.
Personally, I wouldn't replace the whole word with the text case used in the xml, because that would look like "parsing" (ask VB developers, they use this all the time) and then the case should also be changed for completely typed words.

Dirk
Comando file for Intel fortran compiler
Submitted by Anonymous on Wednesday, 8 September, 2004 - 12:25
Hi, the comando file for intel fortran compiler ifort would be nice thing to have!!
Do not complete words in commented texts
Submitted by Anonymous on Friday, 3 September, 2004 - 07:22
It would be nice (in a code editor environment) to have the option that the complete command (C-b) does not consider the words inside comments (as defined for example in the mode XML file or by the highlight features).
Number of pages in print footer
Submitted by scottjp on Wednesday, 1 September, 2004 - 21:01
I'd like to be able to configure the print footer such that it will display the total number of pages in the file (e.g. Page 1 of 100).
Command line option to open file as readonly
Submitted by scottjp on Wednesday, 1 September, 2004 - 20:59
I would like to be able to open a file as readonly via a command line. I use the editor to load different reference files that I do not want to accidently change (e.g. phone listing). A command line option also enables me to define an icon for each reference file. An indicator of the readonly status in the status bar would be helpful.

I know I can create a script that will set the file readonly once I have it open, but I'd rather not have to remember to run the script each time I open the file.

Setting the properties for the file at the OS level is not an option.
Request for an enhancement to projects...
Submitted by Anonymous on Tuesday, 31 August, 2004 - 17:25
As I was working with jEdit, I realized that the only purpose for another java editor I use was to batch-compile and run my programs.

So, I was wondering if anyone could make a plugin that would provide basic javac, javadoc, and java capabilities to projects... (sort of like JIndex, except actually compiling/running/javadocing the code)
Fill paragraph in justified mode
Submitted by Vordeph on Sunday, 29 August, 2004 - 01:15
Greetings,

jEdit is the most perfect code source editor that I have used in my life,
I use many documents in .txt format to document my programs in Object Pascal/Delphi
and a feature that I miss, is to Fill a block o text em justified mode, like the
feature "Fill Paragraph" from UltraEdit32.
I like to suggest this feature. I have tried to create this feature creating
my own plug-in for jEdit, but I´m not know Java very wall yet.

Sorry by my poor english, but Im brazilian, and not have finished my english
course. Smiling
Allow only one instance of JEdit?
Submitted by Hans_Bauer on Saturday, 28 August, 2004 - 06:25
To compensate the removal of jEditLauncher on windows i extended the windows context menu for files using Windows-PowerPro (Freeware). So i can right click on a file and choose my new menu item 'JEdit' to open this file.

The first time this opens JEdit with the selected file loaded. The second time the selected file will be additionally opened in the already running instance of JEdit, but also a new instance of JEdit is started with the same files loaded.

So it would be a very good feature to restict JEdit only to open one instance of itself. Is this possible?
Scroll less than one-line when in Soft word wrap mode
Submitted by Anonymous on Friday, 27 August, 2004 - 19:06
Hello!,

Let me begin by saying I love JEdit and use it on all my systems. Thanks to all who have contributed to this great open-source tool. A+

But to the feature request...
It would be great to have the ability to view only part of a line when in soft word wrap mode. When using JEdit I most always use the soft word wrap mode during composition, and it becomes a bit annoying when the buffer "jumps" long wrapped lines when scrolling. Also, sometimes it is the case where I would like to read the last few (wrapped) lines while simultaneously viewing a line at the other end of the buffer. It is disappointing to have screen space for this, yet be limited by the editor. I can imagine some complexity might arise out of combining this feature with window-width word wrapping, but I would gladly sacrifice window-width word wrapping for smooth word-wrap scrolling.

Again, thanks for the great tool,

- Adam Childs
achilds ksu.edu
Enhanced Docking windows for JEdit
Submitted by Anonymous on Tuesday, 24 August, 2004 - 20:33
Hello all,

Take a look at InfoNode http://www.infonode.net/. It has a cool Docking Window for Java its also available under GPL. what do you think about including it into JEdit?

-yogesh
Hyperlink support in text buffer
Submitted by Anonymous on Friday, 20 August, 2004 - 10:06
Hello all,

first I want to thank all jEdit-Developers for their really great work! I love this Editor!
Nevertheless it would be great, if it would support hyperlinks in the text buffer.
So if you have constructs like http://www.jedit.org in your text buffer it would be helpfull if it would be highlighted and a klick or CTRL+klick would call the standard browser with the respective URL.

What do you think about such a feature?

Best regards,
Watcheck
improved plugin-download error reporting
Submitted by andystreich on Monday, 16 August, 2004 - 06:33
The title of this is too brief. Here's what I mean:

Several times over the last few weeks as I've been adding/updating plugins I've gotten a connection time-out error. Each time I've waited an hour or so and tried again with success. Changing the error message for the time out error to suggest waiting and trying again seems like a good thing for new users.

I wonder if I'm not getting those errors when maintenance is being done on the website. If so, a REALLY informative message might suggest this as a possibility. It would give jEdit more of the feel of a polished product (which it is, I've become a true believer).

Most recent occurance of this has been in the last half hour with jEdit 4.2 pre15 on Win2K.
Bracket matching should also apply to angle bracket characters
Submitted by dbareis on Saturday, 14 August, 2004 - 07:39
Bracket matching matches for "()", "{}" and "[]", it should do the same for "<>" or please make it configurable. Bye, Dennis
Can't go past end of lines
Submitted by dbareis on Friday, 13 August, 2004 - 02:20
Hi,

I've been using JEDIT fulltime for a while now and one of its most annoying features is that it won't let you go past the end of the line.

Other editors allow you to do this and backfill with witespace if something is typed. I should be able to down-arrow from a long line to a shorter one and not have the current position moved to the end of this line.

Am I missing an option, I've looked...

Thanks,
Dennis
Wildcard Use in the File System Browser (open dialog)
Submitted by dbareis on Friday, 13 August, 2004 - 02:16
Hi,

I'd expect the files matching the wildcard to be loaded... What happens is a session with an invalid name is opened.

Wildcards can be used from the command line but this also opens up a new JEDIT window (although that could be something I'm doing wrong).

Thanks,
Dennis
Column Insertion/Overwrire
Submitted by dbareis on Friday, 13 August, 2004 - 02:12
Hi,

I don't know if the plugin options "Column Insert" or "Block Fill Insert" are meant to do column insertion but if so they don't work, if not then this is a pretty basic feature that I'd expect the editor to have.

I'd expect to be able to cut/copy column data and be able to insert OR OVERWRITE elsewhere including past the ends of any existing lines (which appears to be another JEDIT limitation?).

Thanks
Dennis
Font substitution support
Submitted by CyberSkull on Thursday, 12 August, 2004 - 08:42
I've noticed that in MacOS X cocoa programs in text fields/areas that when a given unicode character is not available in the current font it substitutes it from another font. For instance, I am working on a simple card game for a class project and the editor font I use (Courier) does not have the characters I wish to use, being the 4 suits: ♣, ♦, ♥ & ♠. In a program like TextEdit or the Terminal, it would simply grab the characters from another font file, for example "Apple Symbols," a general substitution font (it's nothing but unicode symbols).

I was wondering if this auto-substitution could be incorporated into future versions of jEdit.

I use Courier as my editor font, so the following symbols are appear as empty blocks to me: ₢ ₤ ₥ ₦ ₧ ₨ ₩ ₪ ₫ ₭ ₮ ₯ ℀ ℁ ℂ ℃ ℄ ℅ ℆ ℇ ℈ ℉ ℊ ℋ ℌ ℍ ℎ ℏ ∀ ∃ ∅ ∇ ∉ ∰ ⊆ ⊕ ⋀ ⊾ ⑀ ⑁ ⑂ ⑃ ⑄ ⑅ ⑆ ⑇ ⑈ ⑉ ⑊ ╒ ═ ═ ╗ ☀ ☁ ☂ ☃ ☄ ☆ ☎ ☠ ☣ ☤ ☭ ☮ ☹ ☺ ☥ ☦ ☧ ☨ ☩ ☪ ☫ ☬ ☯ ☸ ☿ ♀ ♁ ♂ ♃ ♄ ♅ ♆ ♇ ♈ ♉ ♊ ♋ ♌ ♍ ♎ ♏ ♐ ♑ ♒ ♓ ♔ ♛ ♖ ♝ ♘ ♟ ♚ ♜ ♞ ♠ ♡ ♢ ♣ ⚀ ⚁ ⚂ ⚃ ⚄ ⚅ ⚆ ⚇ ⚈ ⚉ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♭ ♮ ♯ ♲ ♳ ♴ ♵ ♶ ♷ ♸ ♹ (This is maybe less than ¼ of the symbols font I mentioned earlier).

I do use a handful of these symbols on a regular basis in some of the documents I work on, believe it or not.
general folding tree view
Submitted by Anonymous on Tuesday, 10 August, 2004 - 14:31
Hi,
It would be nice to have a view that displays the folding
of a file as a tree. I know, there are plugins (XML-Plugin,
CodeBrowser,...) that do this for specific languages. What
I'm looking for is a general tree view, that is able to
display a tree view for every file in every language that uses
folgin in one or the other way. I suggest that this sould be
added to the jedit core, as support for specific languages
should be implemented in a specific plugin, a general
folding tree view belongs to the core. Well, thats my opignon,
others may think different...

BTW.: JEdit is a very cool Text editor - Thank you, guys!

mj
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82349