jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Back indent
Submitted by stif on Saturday, 7 August, 2004 - 11:04
When will JEdit have the back indenting feature for keywords like end in ruby, or </body> in html? Thats the only thing i really miss in JEdit - besides that I love JEdit Smiling
Task List accross multiple buffers
Submitted by smsm1 on Thursday, 5 August, 2004 - 15:02
How about an option to have Task List list all tasks in all currently open buffers? This would be more advantagous than just the current buffer, especially when you are using many small buffers.
Set buffer Read Only
Submitted by Anonymous on Tuesday, 3 August, 2004 - 20:00
I'd like jEdit to add the ability to set a buffer "Read Only", independently of filesystem permissions. This is useful to prevent accidental editing of a file that's open for reference only.
NEdit has this feature, and it's the one I miss most in jEdit.

Thanks!
Frank
source code de-comment
Submitted by Anonymous on Sunday, 1 August, 2004 - 12:45
I really enjoy the built in command for source code line comment.
it would be great to have a source code line de-comment command.
or even - a source code line comment toggle command.

thanks
intelliscence
Submitted by averydarkplace on Thursday, 29 July, 2004 - 19:53
I've used Visual Interdev for many years. I've been using jEdit for the past week. I like jEdit better. But the one thing that I miss from V Interdev, which I find vital, is intelliscence. Intelliscence is when you type in the name of a function and the editor displays a little pop-up of the parameter list. For example, type the word "instr(" and a yellow popup displays this: "instr(start,string,string2,[compare])".
How about a line sorter ...
Submitted by klaxon62 on Monday, 19 July, 2004 - 10:06
How about a line sorter ...
Given a set of lines or records, say tab delimited, sort the selected or all buffer lines based on at least the first field. Optionaly, sort on other fields. Better yet, sort on multiple criteria...

Something like this would be really sexy for some of what I do regularily. I can imagine it being handy for people who work with log files, CSV imports, 3rd party software imports and output, etc.
cut-paste as a stack
Submitted by kukuk on Friday, 16 July, 2004 - 23:51
I would like to be able to whenever i cut a whole line it goes on a stack, i can then easily cut-pase several places in the code as everything goes on the stack rather than being a register which only can contain a single value.

The cool CygnusEd under the amiga had this functionality using amiga-l and amiga-k if my memory serves me right Eye-wink
Clipper - more keyboard controls
Submitted by paulflory on Thursday, 15 July, 2004 - 04:36
Simple, killer little pluggie, Clipper is.

A few more features I'd love to see:

- Pressing Escape (or other user-defined key) pops you out of plugin, as Switch Buffer and others do.

- When Clipper is toggled on, focus should land on the list box, allowing me to start typing the first few chars of the clip-text I'm interested in selecting. Currently I need to grab the mouse, lug it to the list box, and only then can I start typing to find a clip.

- Alt/meta key combos to allow me to jump between the combo box and the list box without requiring me to use the mouse. Less mouse, more efficiency. (I've become obsessed with this concern)

- Short-cut keys should work for toggling Clipper both on *and* off. For example, I assigned Shift-Space to open/close Clipper. When I first hit the shortcut combo, Clipper opens, but when I type it again, Clipper sits there, poker-faced. It doesn't go away.

If these features were implemented, Clipper would be far sexier for power jEditors.

Otherwise, very cool plugin, thanks to André Kaplan.

-Paul
Typing uppercase letters and correcting (recognize S-BS as BS)
Submitted by Anonymous on Friday, 9 July, 2004 - 10:58
One often needs to enter a uppercase word in TEXT.
For let's say 20 chars you don't touch caps-lock and do it via shift.
However if one does a typo, it's usual or simple to use Shift-BS to correct that.

Shift-BS is not recognized as Backspace. This would be nice.
A Search function for Recent files (like Search History in Mozilla)
Submitted by paulflory on Thursday, 8 July, 2004 - 05:29
I hereforth propose that there be-eth a way to search recently open'd files.

Oftentimes we open and close files and afterwards wastefully rummage through our
memories and Recent Files lists to recall from whence those files came.

This post requests that recently opened files be searchable, as are visited URLs in web browsers; for example, Ctl-H in Mozilla or IE.

To further burnish the feature, throw in a way to view the dates/timestamps the files were visited. This way Jack can think/do: "Hmm.. I opened file 'earwig.xml' yesterday" then scroll to the files from yesterday and conveniently open earwig without taxing his brain.

Thanks,
Paul
show latest news on the jEdit homepage
Submitted by paulflory on Thursday, 8 July, 2004 - 05:13
The new homepage's look n feel out-rocks the previous one.

One peeve though - I liked seeing the latest news on the splash page.

Like when new dot releases are announced.

Could we have that back?

-Paul
Doc type autocomplete
Submitted by smsm1 on Wednesday, 7 July, 2004 - 21:59
The tag autocomplete feature for PHP and HTML is great.
One thing though! Completion of valid DOCTYPES would be good.

JEdit is a fantastic program, just what I have been looking for!
ErrorList keyboard focus in textArea
Submitted by Anonymous on Tuesday, 6 July, 2004 - 13:05
Hello.

I use jEdit as an IDE compiling source files and showing errors in the ErrorList plugin, and it works just great. When I click on an error in the ErrorList plugin's window then the text containing the error is selected in the view.textArea, just perfect!

I'd really like the keyboard focus go to the textArea immediately after clicking on the ErrorList error, so that I can just start typing to correct the error.

I mean I don't want to have to click in the view.textArea, because clicking in the textArea changes the selection.

Is there an option for this that I've missed?

I'm using jEdit 4.1 final, ErrorList 1.3.2
Single point of entry for all options
Submitted by mak on Thursday, 1 July, 2004 - 10:17
Please integrate the plugin options into the global options window as it was in jEdit 4.1. The plugin help is still part of the global help - so why aren't the plugin options part of the global options anymore?

In jEdit 4.1 you didn't have to think about which option you want to edit - you just opened the option window and did your changes. But in jEdit 4.2 there is no more single point of entry - you have to know where to go to before you can change the settings Sad
-settings with relative path names
Submitted by mirko on Thursday, 1 July, 2004 - 09:15
I use Jedit on an external Harddisk, which I use
at work, at customers and at home. It would be nice, if
I could define the -settings propery as follows:

-settings=./.jedit

which wuld put the jedit settings in a directory named
.jedit under the same directory as jedit.jar is located.
At the moment this is not possible. Every relative path is
resolved as relative to the user home (for example c:\dokument and settings\
[username]\.jedit).

If that is not possible, it would be nice, if jedit had a variable, containing its own directory, so that on could type:

-settings=${jedithome}\.jedit

Yes, I know, it is possible to specifie "%CD%" to get the
jedit.jar path on a windows command line. But as I use the
jsmooth (http://jsmooth.sf.net) executable jar wrapper to
get a better integration of jedit with the windws os, this
is not possible.
option to disable "Files Changed on Disk" dialog - add icon to buffer tabs instead
Submitted by paulflory on Tuesday, 29 June, 2004 - 15:13
I often use jEdit to effectively "tail" log files that are active and changing periodically while editing other files.

Unfortunately, the dialog "Files Changed on Disk" pops open repeatedly and has become an annoyance, although the information is certainly helpful.

It would be wonderful if there was an option to disable this dialog.

Furthermore, it would be even better if we had an appropriate icon appear on the respective buffer tab indicating that the file changed. That way we could see at a glance which files have changed on disk and continue editing files at the same time.

Anyone else second this request? Alternatives?

Thanks,
Paul
Make line comment command act as a toggle.
Submitted by Anonymous on Sunday, 27 June, 2004 - 09:24
I modified the JEditTextArea.lineComment method to insert a comment at the very beginning of the selected line(s) if the line(s) didn't already begin with a comment. The comment is removed if it is already there. This allows the "line comment" command to act as a toggle - commenting out uncommented lines, uncommenting lines already commented.

Would this be a useful feature?

Code from JEditTextArea.java (JEdit 4.1 final), beginning at line 4119:

String text = getLineText(lines[i]);
// Toggle comments at beginning of line, add if not there, remove if there.
if (text.startsWith(comment)) {
buffer.remove(getLineStartOffset(lines[i]), comment.length());
}
else {
buffer.insert(getLineStartOffset(lines[i]), comment);
}
// buffer.insert(getLineStartOffset(lines[i]),
// + MiscUtilities.getLeadingWhiteSpace(text),
// comment);
Custom format for clock in status bar?
Submitted by Anonymous on Friday, 25 June, 2004 - 11:22
The clock in the status bar of jEdit currently shows the time in 12hr-mode. There should be a configuration dialog to select the desired time-format. Or just an editbox to enter the format pattern.
SWT 3
Submitted by moon.god on Wednesday, 23 June, 2004 - 07:51
Are there any attempts to build a jEdit Version using SWT3? Eclipse' GUI looks and feels far more consistent than jEdit's and even appears to be somewhat faster. Since jEdit appears to be pretty complete and feature rich, I think there is nothing else jEdit would profit more from atm than changing the editors interface to a more accommodative one.
More flexible toolbar
Submitted by Anonymous on Monday, 21 June, 2004 - 18:16
Using Jeditsince a long time I find it's time that the toobar becomes more flexible:
-actually having a big number of customized buttons, a dozen for java, a dozen for c, a dozen for
cpp, a dozen for assembly, and some miscellaneous stuff like starting objdump and readelf or
starting gdb from within jedit and others, now the toolbar is becomimg full, and new added buttons
don't appear on it more.Now it would be nice if the toolbar could be extensible ,floatable, and
it can remember its coordinates for the next session.thanks.
salme
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82349