jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
too many apps opening at startup
Submitted by koszta5 on Wednesday, 15 December, 2010 - 21:21
Hey,
I am running jEdit on Mac OS and it got kinda broken on the mac for me. I have like 60 files opening at startup (there was some error at first bu a ignored it and let it run and it caused a one more new empty file to load at startup. Now if I run it with -nosettings I am fine but otherwise it opens and crashes out of memory (obviously).. I couldnt find the file with jEdit preferences on MacOS... no xml saying what files to load on startup... Where is it located on Mac OS? (I know where it is on windows...)
thank you very much
jEdit has a weird look
Submitted by MrPedantic on Sunday, 5 December, 2010 - 18:59
I don't know why, but when I open jEdit now the interface becomes all screwed up on mouse-over, or when I type at the caret. The interface I configured normally has 4 panes: left for console, right for preview of output (I use jEdit with LilypondTool), in the middle for input, and below that I have a pane for midi playback. Except when I mouse over the right pane, or type in the middle pane, I get something that looks like this:

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/6325/jediterror1.jpg
http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/967/jediterror2.jpg

Sometimes closing and restarting jEdit works; sometimes it doesn't. Last time I had to completely uninstall and reinstall jEdit for the problem to go away, but after I closed jEdit yesterday, opening it up again seems to just bring the problem back.
Indent folding mode error - blank lines
Submitted by patrickb on Wednesday, 1 December, 2010 - 14:14
The behaviour of a line at indent folding should only depend on the number of initial tabs in the line, not on the content of the line.

However, when using indent mode, blank lines are not folded correctly. E.g.
A.
___B.
C.

(dots denote end of lines, third line is a blank line, ___ represents a tab) after folding looks like:
A.
C.

However, the blank line is on the same "tab hierarchy" as A and C. Therefore

A.
C.

would be correct. Why is this a problem? I use jEdit to edit plain text. Blank lines should serve to separate topics A and C, but after folding, the blank line is folded as well and readability is impaired a lot!

Only a line with tabs should disappear by folding:
A.
___B.
___.
C.

should fold to:
A.
C.

By the way, as a workaround I tried to introduce a space into the blank line to get the folding correct, but this doesn't work. Only lines with real text fold correctly.

Thanks

Patrick
SVNPlugin: Authentication failed
Submitted by Zelos on Tuesday, 16 November, 2010 - 10:10
Hello,

I just installed SVNPlugin version 1.6.0 with dependencies as mentioned in the plugin page. My jedit version is 4.3.2 using java 1.6.0_20.

When I try to access my repository via svn+ssh the SVN console shows "error while listing entries: svn: Authentication required".
However, I tried to provide the username as part of the URL as well as input into the username field. Password is not required since I use a public key file.

It seems that ssh is not called correctly from jedit, restricting authentication to password only (which is not provided) instead of using ssh's default mechanisms.

How can I get this working?

Thanks!
David
Parse error when trying to replace blanks
Submitted by gold-mary on Tuesday, 16 November, 2010 - 08:30
Hi,

I apologize in case this is a duplicate. I searched the forum, but did not find anything which seems to be similar to this issue.

I use jEdit 4.3.2 (Java 1.6.0_22).
Since a few days it is not possible any more to replace blanks. When I select "Text" within the Find dialog, nothing happens. In case I select "Return value of a BeanShell snippet" I get an error:

Parse error at line 3, column 9. Encountered...

Is there anything broken? Or is it just a setting I have to change.

Thanks a lot for your help,

gold-mary
OS X 10.6.5 updates causes jEdit to load in 'Java-ish' look rather than native OS X look
Submitted by altonator on Monday, 15 November, 2010 - 10:40
I've just updated OS X to 10.6.5 and now jEdit doesn't look OSX-ified. In other words, the File, Edit, etc menus are within the jEdit window rather than in the OS X mneu bar.

Other than that it seems to work OK.

Anyone got an ideas as to what's caused this? (I'm guessing it's a Java update that was packaged with the OS X update). And more importantly, can anyone manage to fix it?

Cheers
Altonator
jEdit opens an additional window for additional files
Submitted by Nick Payne on Saturday, 30 October, 2010 - 22:05
Whenever I open an additional file once jEdit is already running, jEdit opens a additional window into which it loads the file. The new window is also slightly displaced on the screen from the previous window. However, both the new window and the previous window allow access to both the new file and any previous files I had open from the drop-down selection menu at the top of the text area. I normally close this new window, as it's not located where I want, and then use the drop-down selection at the top of the text area to bring the new file to the front, which is two extra annoying steps in the process.

How can I stop jEdit from creating a new window. Any additional files I open once jEdit is running, I want them to open in the already existing window. I've had a browse around in the various menus and global options without seeing where this can be set. I'm running jEdit 4.3.2 on Ubuntu 10.10.
jEdit + .ctp files
Submitted by grandioso on Friday, 29 October, 2010 - 23:00
I can't seem to make jEdit highlight any .ctp file syntax as php. (ctp files are used by cakePHP)

I did the following : "Options" -> "editing", chose php, unchecked "use default", changed "file name glob" to "*.{php3,php4,php,phtml,inc,ctp}", saved, restarted app... but still nothing.

Any ideas ? I use Ubuntu 10.04
java update broke jedit 4.3.2 for me
Submitted by jeditcdnguy on Tuesday, 26 October, 2010 - 16:34
I'm running ubuntu jaunty when I got an update today re:java

After the update jedit 4.3.2 stopped working

Here's what happens when I run it in the terminal

terry@beauty:/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.22/jre/bin$ java jedit
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: jedit
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: jedit
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:217)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:205)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:321)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:294)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:266)
Could not find the main class: jedit. Program will exit.
sideKick stopped parsing python scripts
Submitted by pixeldroid on Saturday, 23 October, 2010 - 02:31
For some reason, the jEdit Sidekick plugin has stopped parsing my python scripts (no functions, vars, etc.).
For my Python Path in the Jython plugin, I have been using the python executable that is installed with Maya:
C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Composite 2011\program
which has been working fine until yesterday.
I've also tried:
C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Composite 2011 Subscription Advantage Pack\program
Any suggestions for fixing will be appreciated.
Thx
jEdit 4.2 no longer starts - what next?
Submitted by LongtimeUser on Wednesday, 20 October, 2010 - 13:46
Hello all,

I've been using 4.2 for several years because of the plugins for it, and installed it right away on this laptop when I got it 6 months ago. I have it running all the time. Then Monday I installed Plants vs Zombies and after a few hours it froze my computer. After rebooting jEdit will no longer start. As the FAQ suggests I tried moving all the files from .jedit/ (since Win 7 won't let me rename the directory), but that was no help. Java is fine, I can do >java -jar jedit.jar and the CLI gives me another prompt but nothing happens. Then I tried installing 4.3 (in a different location) as a last resort and it seems to have deleted my 4.2 directory - and still won't start up.

Oddly enough I went back to a previous laptop and found that 4.2 won't start up on that one either.

A) Anyone else had this happen?
B) Anything else I can try to get 4.2 working again?
C) What's the procedure for a clean install?
D) Or a side-by-side install with multiple jEdit versions?

Thanks!
save function in jedit after installing ssd very slow
Submitted by oe7 on Sunday, 3 October, 2010 - 12:55
Hi,
I'am new to this forum. Using jedit for some jears, recently on a macbook pro with Mac OS 10.6.4. Now I've changed my internal harddrive into a ssd- everything works faster- except jedit which works slower- when I hit the save shortcut it takes 5 seconds until the file is saved (and also the lilypondtool plugin does react very delayed).
Any idea whats going on?

thanks,

ole
jEdit opens formerly not opened files at startup
Submitted by gtecsoy on Sunday, 3 October, 2010 - 00:00
Dear Developers and Forum Members!

I am a newbie in jEdit. It seems to me very good. Thank you for your efforts and excellent work.

I have a small problem with it. At startup the system loads that kind of files which were never opened.

It loads those files, which are in my user profile directory (C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxx\).

I am using:
1:32:35 AM [main] [message] Log: When reporting bugs, please include the following information:
1:32:35 AM [main] [message] Log: java.version=1.6.0_21
1:32:35 AM [main] [message] Log: java.vm.version=17.0-b17
1:32:35 AM [main] [message] Log: java.runtime.version=1.6.0_21-b07
1:32:35 AM [main] [message] Log: java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
1:32:35 AM [main] [message] Log: java.compiler=null
1:32:35 AM [main] [message] Log: os.name=Windows XP
1:32:35 AM [main] [message] Log: os.version=5.1
1:32:35 AM [main] [message] Log: os.arch=x86
1:32:35 AM [main] [message] Log: user.home=C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxx
1:32:35 AM [main] [message] Log: java.home=C:\Program Files\Java\jre6
1:32:35 AM [main] [message] Log: java.class.path=E:\My Installations\jEdit\jedit.jar
1:32:35 AM [main] [notice] jEdit: jEdit version 4.3.2
1:32:35 AM [main] [message] jEdit: Settings directory is C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxx\.jedit
1:32:35 AM [main] [message] jEdit: jEdit home directory is E:\My Installations\jEdit

When I check the settings directory (C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxx\.jedit) I have to realize, that the system writes never opened files to perspective.xml and recent.xml files all time.
I have deleted those files from the mentioned xml files and the files from settings-backup but it did not solve the problem.

The "Restore previously open files on startup" option is set up.

Thank you for your kindest help.
Can't save long files with FTP Plugin
Submitted by glukgluk on Monday, 6 September, 2010 - 17:56
Hey guys,

I have worked with jEdit and the FTP plugin now for a while and never have had any problems.
But since I have installed a 64 Bit version, the saving on my remote server doesnt work anymore.
Strangely, it works with small files (less than 200 characters or so) but not with larger.
The error I get seems as following: "Cannot save: java.io.IOException: Rename failed: [path]#[filename]#save#.
Where the heck do these # come from?
I also have tried with disabled "two-stage save" but the result was the same as before, in addition to the fact that I havent received any error message.

I really despair of this problem because whats more, I have lost some important files irrevocable.
Please help me! Otherwise I'll have to look for another program.
jEdit 4.3.2 delays Windows XP startup
Submitted by tomasio on Saturday, 28 August, 2010 - 09:05
I am using jEdit on a PC with Windows XP SP3 installed. Since I have upgraded to jEdit 4.3.2 after booting a jEdit Splash Screen appears which seems to delay the startup process of Win XP. My girlfriend has the same Splash Screen when she logs in with her user account - would it be possible to deactivate this unwanted pre-loading at least on her user account?

Thank you for your advice.

kind regards,
--
tomasio
Plugin CScopeFinder error : cscope.out: File not found
Submitted by chrdou on Tuesday, 24 August, 2010 - 16:13
I am using jEdit 4.3.2 + CScopeFinder 0.3 and I have exactly the same problem as described in page http://old.nabble.com/CScopeFinder-Plugin-td16526207.html where the problem remained unsolved apparently.

It means that the plugin doesn't find the file though the path is correct and the file present.

I didn't found any related infos neither on internet nor on jEdit Community site.

Is it a known problem ?

Thanks for your help.
Unable to install LaTeX Tools plugin [SOLVED]
Submitted by runbei on Saturday, 31 July, 2010 - 16:49
I'm unable to install the LaTeX Tools plugin. I'm using jEdit 4.3.2 with Java 1.6.0_18 with Linux Mint 9 (= Ubuntu 10.04).

I installed the plugin manually - unzipped it an put the LaTeXTools.jar folder in the jar folder of the jEdit installation (home/.jedit/jars.

I also installed the Console and Sidekick plugins.

When I try to use a feature in the Latex Tools plugin menu, I get a dialog with a long list of Beanshell errors. For example, calling Insert Command produces the following. I'd be grateful for any help, or pointers to where I might find a solution. Thanks.

UPDATE: Hm, found the problem. Need to install the GnuRegexp plugin, then the LaTeX Tools plugin works fine. Console and Sidekick plugins are also required.

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: gnu/regexp/REException
at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredMethods0(Native Method)
at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredMethods(Class.java:2444)
at java.lang.Class.privateGetPublicMethods(Class.java:2564)
at java.lang.Class.getMethods(Class.java:1427)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.Reflect.gatherMethodsRecursive(Reflect.java:543)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.Reflect.getCandidateMethods(Reflect.java:505)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.Reflect.findOverloadedMethod(Reflect.java:478)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.Reflect.resolveJavaMethod(Reflect.java:439)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.Reflect.resolveExpectedJavaMethod(Reflect.java:381)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.Reflect.invokeStaticMethod(Reflect.java:96)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.Name.invokeMethod(Name.java:871)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.BSHMethodInvocation.eval(BSHMethodInvocation.java:75)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.BSHPrimaryExpression.eval(BSHPrimaryExpression.java:102)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.BSHPrimaryExpression.eval(BSHPrimaryExpression.java:47)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.BSHBlock.evalBlock(BSHBlock.java:130)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.BSHBlock.eval(BSHBlock.java:80)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.BshMethod.invokeImpl(BshMethod.java:362)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.BshMethod.invoke(BshMethod.java:258)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.BshMethod.invoke(BshMethod.java:186)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.BeanShellFacade.runCachedBlock(BeanShellFacade.java:225)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.BeanShell.runCachedBlock(BeanShell.java:423)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.BeanShellAction.invoke(BeanShellAction.java:73)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.gui.InputHandler.invokeAction(InputHandler.java:352)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit$4.invokeAction(jEdit.java:3255)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit$4.invokeAction(jEdit.java:3237)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.EditAction$Wrapper.actionPerformed(EditAction.java:221)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2012)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2335)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:404)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:259)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(AbstractButton.java:374)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI.doClick(BasicMenuItemUI.java:829)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI$Handler.mouseReleased(BasicMenuItemUI.java:873)
at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(AWTEventMulticaster.java:289)
at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:6108)
at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(JComponent.java:3267)
at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:5873)
at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Container.java:2105)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:4469)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2163)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4295)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:4461)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:4125)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:4055)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2149)
at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:2478)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4295)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:604)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:275)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:200)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:190)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:185)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:177)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:138)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: gnu.regexp.REException
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:217)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:205)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:321)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:294)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.JARClassLoader.loadFromParent(JARClassLoader.java:539)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.JARClassLoader.loadClass(JARClassLoader.java:87)
... 54 more
FTP-Plugin socket error
Submitted by Maenny on Friday, 30 July, 2010 - 13:05
Hi there,

I use jEdit for some time now, but since two days I have an annoying problem: When I use the FTP-Plugin and load a page on my Server, I edit it and save it, it works fine. When I edit the file again and save it, I get the following error message:

ftp://web1234@alfa3498.my-server.de:21/html/temp/temp.php:
Cannot save: java.net.SocketException: Connection reset by peer: socket write error

and my InternetConnection closes, that is I get disconnected.

I haven't changed anything, but I cannot say anything about automatic updates of jEdit or its components. Anyone has a solution for this, it is really annoying, since I have to close down and reopen the program everytime I saved once.

Greetz

Maenny
Can't paste text from jEdit to Maya
Submitted by pixeldroid on Thursday, 22 July, 2010 - 04:36
I am using jEdit as a text editor for Maya, a 3D animation program.
When I copy text from jEdit, it won't paste into Maya, but it will paste into EditPlus (a text editor) and Word, and then I can copy from either of those to Maya.
Anyone have a suggestion to fix this? OS is WinXP x64.
Thanks.
Error: 'global' path
Submitted by srikrishnan on Wednesday, 7 July, 2010 - 08:19
Hi All,

I have newly upgraded to "JEdit 4.3.2 Server mode, using Java 1.6.0_19". from the starting itself frequently the following error window popup

"cannot run 'global'. Please set the path to 'global' in the plugin options."

I have checked the menue "Plugins -> Plugin Option -> global Plugin" in that following field has been set as follows:

'global' path = global

Eventhough it has been poping up very frequently, how can I avoid this?

Thanks in Advance,
R. Srikrishnan
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348