jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Archives
i/o popups
Submitted by Frankly33 on Tuesday, 3 February, 2009 - 00:22
I am new to jEdit, and it keeps popping up I/O errors that aren't affecting me. How do I stop these from popping up?
Jedit launch hotkey ctrl+alt+j (c+a+j)
Submitted by KimBastin on Tuesday, 3 February, 2009 - 08:49
On WinXP, jEdit 4.3pre16 has hijacked the key combination ctrl+alt+j (c+a+j) as a keyboard shortcut to launch itself. I need this combination for something else, but it seems to be undocumented as a jEdit hotkey and I can't find any way to change or disable it.

I found a couple of similar queries on this forum, and the answer given was to open the jEdit shortcuts (.lnk's) and edit the properties (the field 'Shortcut key' under the Shortcut tab, presumably). I have three jEdit shortcuts — on the desktop, the quicklaunch bar and the Start menu, and on all of them the shortcut key is set to 'None'.

So my question is, where is the c+a+j hotkey combination that launches jEdit stored, and how can I change or disable it?

Thanks
Kim
Run macro in a specific EditPane split screen
Submitted by kircheis on Friday, 6 February, 2009 - 10:16
Someone asked something like this but got no answer.
http://community.jedit.org/?q=node/view/1688

I'm working with some old Cobol code full of "go to" instructions, so I wrote a macro that would take me to the corresponding place in code so I don't have to look for it manually.

I have jEdit screen split vertically in two, working on the same file. I tried adapting my macro to go to the next pane and search from there instead of the first one and then set the focus back again to the first pane.

I tried using view.nextTextArea(), but only the cursor go to the next pane, the macro still runs on the first pane. Then I tried using EditPane setBuffer, but it also runs on the same side of the split screen. Is there some other class with the methods I need or am I doing something really wrong?
Mode woes
Submitted by haama on Friday, 6 February, 2009 - 17:09
Hi all, I've gotten a new Mode to work for the most part, but am still having trouble with Auto-Indent and RegExp tags. By the way, I'm using jEdit v4.3pre16, java 1.6u11, and Windows (XP). Auto-Indent: I'm going for begin/if stuff else/elseif more stuff endif/end So I tried It indents properly, but it doesn't unindent. Narrowing it down, the UnindentThisLine tag is working exactly like the IndentNextLines tag. For example, will indent the lines following "else" or "end". I thought it was a bug, but UnindentThisLine works prefectly with java mode. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, though. The props and main rule set is %% %g [\d.+-]+[ef] RegExp tags: As you can see in the rules above, I have a digits RegExp tag and a SEQ - neither one of them works. For digits, I'm trying to display decimals and negatives with the same highlight as numbers, using DIGIT_RE="[^%][.-](?=[0-9])". The decimal and negative display as Operators (which I have them defined as later) in every case I can think of ".4", "4.4", "-4", "423.543-45". Tried it as [.-](?=[0-9]) and that didn't work either. The SEQ_REGEXP tag is supposed to display anything like "%.3f" as a solitary operator. Instead, it displays the "%." as operators, the number(s) as digit, and when I type in the last letter the number and letter become null. I've tried this with and without the hash character to no avail. I know I'm looking over something, but I can't tell what and have exhausted my possibilities. Any help is much appreciated, thanks.
how to print?
Submitted by Eric Inazaki on Monday, 9 February, 2009 - 16:45
What needs to be done in order to get jedit to print?

When I try to print jedit says "no print service found"
however, I can print from everywhere else on my system
(lpr, firefox, etc). I'm using open suse 10.3 and jedit
4.2 and 4.3, same problem both ways.

On an unrelated subject, is there a way to search the
forum?

TIA,
eric
OS X: Gets stuck on 'run startup scripts' and is generally screwed!
Submitted by altonator on Monday, 9 February, 2009 - 20:49
I'm using 4.3pre16 on OS X Tiger and it's been fine for ages, but now it's done all screwed up! When I start jEdit the startup pane gets stuck on 'run startup scripts'. jEdit pretty much loads, but only some of my views open (I had about 5 views open before). And if I try to create a new view I get an error (will paste the errors below).

It was doing this for a few days, and now it's got even worse... if I open the file system browser it just gets stuck trying to list the directories. And now jEdit wont even open files, it just fails to load them.

I haven't updated Java or jEdit, it just started going a bit nuts all by itself!

I know nothing about Java, so I'm hoping that someone else will be able to make more sense of these error messages than I can!..

Actually, I'll save them somewhere and link to them instead of pasting a whole load of crap here...
http://www.adamalton.co.uk/jedit_errors/
Ta da!

Any help, ideas or guidance greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Altonator
Changing Jedits name in the MacOS menubar
Submitted by tomasio on Monday, 9 February, 2009 - 21:11
Can anyone give me a hint how to change the name of Jedit in the menubar of MacOS 10.5.6? I just installed JEditpre16 and since then it shows "org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit" instead of "Jedit" in the menubar. I consider this real ugly as the name in the menubar should be the app name and no cryptic java class path (or whatever that is).
jedit with windows 7
Submitted by h3pa on Wednesday, 11 February, 2009 - 08:32
Hi, i'm using jedit within windows 7 beta. When i start jedit the whole system freezes. The only thing i can do is to press the power button in this case. jdk-version: java verson "1.6.0_12" Java SE Runtime Environment Java HotSpot Client VM Do you guys think it's the jdk version 1.6.0_12, or does anyone have experience running jedit with it? Or do you think it's the OS? ps.. i installed jedit with the native windows installer. should i try the installation based on JRE?
Portable jEdit
Submitted by Perry Johnson on Wednesday, 11 February, 2009 - 19:34
Having used jEdit for years, I wanted to make it available to my students. We use MacOS X and they all have USB drives. jEdit runs fine from the external drive of course, but it saves its settings by default in the user's home folder. My problem was that the Guest account gets purged on logout. I didn't want to create user accounts for every student or set up roaming accounts. I knew that it was possible to specify a custom settings folder with a command line switch but I needed a path relative to the jEdit app. I began with the MacOS X package downloaded from jEdit.org. After poking around in the info.plist (right-click jEdit, select Show Package Contents), I found a key for command-line arguments. I could not successfully feed a relative path. Setting WorkingDirectory to $APP_PACKAGE and adding -Duser.home=../ under VMOptions allows this to work. At this point I could feed an argument for a settings folder that sits alongside the jEdit app. I named my folder jEdit_settings. Here is the relevant section from my Info.plist file WorkingDirectory $APP_PACKAGE VMOptions -Xmx192M -Duser.home=../ Arguments -background -settings=jEdit_settings I've documented this on my website - http://perryjohnson.net/web/portable-jedit.html If there is a better way of doing this, I'd love to hear it. I won't say I've tried every text editor but it seems like I have. jEdit always wins the battle.
MacBook Pro 5,1 Scrolling Broken
Submitted by warhammerkid on Wednesday, 11 February, 2009 - 20:11
I have a new MacBook Pro and if I use the two finger scroll, the horizontal portion of the scrolling causes jedit to page up or page down in the document. This makes it almost impossible to use the trackpad to scroll, because unless it's perfectly vertical, it pages up or down randomly. Is there something I can do to turn off this behavior?
transparent background & configuring ALL colors
Submitted by MrBark on Thursday, 12 February, 2009 - 02:30
Hi !
Firstly I would like to thank you for your contribution of the open source world ! Eye-wink

So, I think that a transparent background should be really welcomed !
i.e. if you use a transparent cube in compiz, it's really comfortable to see a bit the windows of the others workspaces behind your code, you can see if you have mail in your browser, if someone is speaking to you on pidgin or if your compilation in another terminal is finished... and you code in the same time.
Actually, I'm using... vim ! (in a transparent terminal) just because of that reason !

And another thing/problem :
You can configure the colors of the text, background, selected line, etc.
But if you choose a black (or dark) bg color, and sure a white text color, there's a problem in perl language :
some characters still black !
i.e. the { } of a if... so it's black on black...
is there a solution ?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help !
Console Plugin -- focus jumps to text edit?
Submitted by coolcat on Thursday, 12 February, 2009 - 19:26
Hi, I've been searching the forums but so far can't find an answer to this:

1. I initiate a build in the console and it completes.
2. I type cd .. in the console so I can run a build in a different directory.
3. As I'm typing the next build command, I notice the focus has jumped to the text edit section and I'm inadvertently typing text into one of my source files.

This seems pretty trivial, but it happens again and again. Strangely, after I put the focus back into the console, I can do as many cd's as I want and the focus will never jump to the code. Only after a build. Does it have something to do with the error-list plugin? I can think of no reason I'd ever want the focus to jump to the text window, but maybe there's a point to this feature?

Thanks
View the console output during the macro
Submitted by lilive on Friday, 13 February, 2009 - 10:02
Hello,
I wrote a macro to compile a file, using :
runCommandInConsole(view, "System", compilCommand);

It work fine. I want to view the console output, so I add :
view.getDockableWindowManager().showDockableWindow("console");

The problem is that the console panel open at the end of the macro.
Does anybody know how to make it open during the macro execution ? Because I want to see the output during the compilation process.

Thank you.

--- and sorry for my english --- just a french ... ---
Problem with Search dialog box not opening.
Submitted by prandmeth on Tuesday, 17 February, 2009 - 22:25
Has anyone had a problem with the Search window not opening in a multi-monitor environment under XP? I have had problems before with the Search dialog box coming up in odd sizes. That was solved by making sure the dialog was presented in the main monitor when it was closed. But now it doesn't seem to launch at all.
Wiki cleaned up and able to send mails
Submitted by Vampire on Sunday, 22 February, 2009 - 21:33
Hi all,

in a long hard piece of work I cleaned up our wiki completely from the spam. I not only fixed the pages, I also deleted all the spam revisions and spam users. I even recreated the TWikiUsers topic how it should be. So now the wiki is cleaned up and usable again. Have fun using it.

Regards
Vampire
Jedit 4.3pre16: automatic identation in C++ mode witchin switch/case blocks
Submitted by SegFault on Monday, 23 February, 2009 - 16:02
Hello. I'm using jedit 4.3pre16 on slackware 12.2 linux, and I had following problem: When I was typing something something like -- switch(index){ case(Choices::done): -- jedit kept moving (case(Choices::done)Smiling line to the left (i.e. was unindenting the line) every time I typed colon (*any* colon - even the one in the middle of Choices::done). I was able to partially fix it by copying cplusplus.xml to ~/.jedit/modes, adding it to ~/.jedit/modes/catalog and replacing --- ?!Smiling).*$" /> --- with --- ?!Smiling).*$" /> --- But I got another problem. Now when I type something like: --- switch(index){ case(Choices::done): break; case(Choices::cancel):{ --- jedit keeps moving "case(Choices::cancel):{" to the right (i.e. indenting) when I type "{". This obviously happens because jedit "thinks" that break is not within indentation block and defines proper indentation level. How can I fix that? I've tried replacing --- --- with regexp that would exclude "case" (something like "(?!\bcase\b.*\(.*\):){"), but this didn't work (it looks like indentOpenBrackets doesn't take regexp as argument). Any ideas?
will not start
Submitted by Tonda on Wednesday, 25 February, 2009 - 15:17
Hi there
After many good works my j-edit will not start. If i click to start, the start picture show how file which boot. At "run startup scripts" j--edit hang up and that's it. I must close the file by process manager.
Please help, because this is a good program.
German prefer...my english is...BAD Eye-wink

Many thanks and greetZ from Germany, Ingo
Buffer switcher not switching buffers
Submitted by jsguru72 on Wednesday, 25 February, 2009 - 22:25
I am running 4.3 pre16 with JDK 1.6.0_11

Most of the time everything works fine, but just today I have twice had the buffer switcher stop working.

I only have 4 or so files open. When I click on the switcher it drops down the list of files. I select one and the switcher updates to display that filename, but the buffer itself does not change. The previously selected file is still there.

If I use the CTRL-PGUP/PGDOWN shortcut it works fine. The problem is only when I use the drop-down.

Right now this issue appears to be random. I closed all of the files and reopened them and the problem went away for a while but within a few minutes, it was back.

I have since restarted the editor entirely. I will advise if it happens again or if I am able to narrow down a set of circumstances where the problem occurs.

Right now, I am just curious if anyone else has experienced this.

Thanks.
How do I define “hidden files” in JEdit?
Submitted by funkyworklehead on Tuesday, 3 March, 2009 - 13:58
When doing recursive directory regular expression search and replace, how do I define which types of files are hidden? In Linux, by default, all files beginning with '.' are "hidden" to the JEdit file system browser and JEdit recursive search. How do I define other file globs to be hidden? How can I tell JEdit to not look in directory 'SCCS'.
PHP Projects Plugin in combination with (S)FTP
Submitted by DerKobe on Wednesday, 4 March, 2009 - 13:40
I discoverd a problem using PHP Projects with the FTP-Plugin. When I tried to remote scan a project the programm got stuck in an infinite loop (as you can see below). Any idea whats going wrong?

Thx, Kobe

13:23:49 [jEdit I/O #1] [debug] DirectoryCache: Cached sftp://admin@ourserver.com:22/var/www/lamda/modules to /Users/Admin/.jedit/cache/cache-431-1236169429442.tmp
13:23:49 [jEdit I/O #1] [debug] DirectoryCache: Cached sftp://admin@ourserver.com:22/var/www/lamda/modules/Global to /Users/Admin/.jedit/cache/cache-432-1236169429698.tmp
13:23:50 [jEdit I/O #1] [debug] DirectoryCache: Cached sftp://admin@ourserver.com:22/var/www/lamda/modules/Global/.. to /Users/Admin/.jedit/cache/cache-433-1236169430941.tmp
13:23:51 [jEdit I/O #1] [debug] DirectoryCache: Cached sftp://admin@ourserver.com:22/var/www/lamda/modules/Global/../Global to /Users/Admin/.jedit/cache/cache-434-1236169431193.tmp
13:23:52 [jEdit I/O #1] [debug] DirectoryCache: Cached sftp://admin@ourserver.com:22/var/www/lamda/modules/Global/../Global/.. to /Users/Admin/.jedit/cache/cache-435-1236169432340.tmp
13:23:52 [jEdit I/O #1] [debug] DirectoryCache: Cached sftp://admin@ourserver.com:22/var/www/lamda/modules/Global/../Global/../Global to /Users/Admin/.jedit/cache/cache-436-1236169432594.tmp
13:23:53 [jEdit I/O #1] [debug] DirectoryCache: Cached sftp://admin@ourserver.com:22/var/www/lamda/modules/Global/../Global/../Global/.. to /Users/Admin/.jedit/cache/cache-437-1236169433760.tmp
13:23:54 [jEdit I/O #1] [debug] DirectoryCache: Cached sftp://admin@ourserver.com:22/var/www/lamda/modules/Global/../Global/../Global/../Global to /Users/Admin/.jedit/cache/cache-438-1236169434015.tmp
13:23:55 [jEdit I/O #1] [debug] DirectoryCache: Cached sftp://admin@ourserver.com:22/var/www/lamda/modules/Global/../Global/../Global/../Global/.. to /Users/Admin/.jedit/cache/cache-439-1236169435174.tmp
13:23:55 [jEdit I/O #1] [debug] DirectoryCache: Cached sftp://admin@ourserver.com:22/var/www/lamda/modules/Global/../Global/../Global/../Global/../Global to /Users/Admin/.jedit/cache/cache-440-1236169435429.tmp
13:23:56 [jEdit I/O #1] [debug] DirectoryCache: Cached sftp://admin@ourserver.com:22/var/www/lamda/modules/Global/../Global/../Global/../Global/../Global/.. to /Users/Admin/.jedit/cache/cache-441-1236169436590.tmp
13:23:56 [jEdit I/O #1] [debug] DirectoryCache: Cached sftp://admin@ourserver.com:22/var/www/lamda/modules/Global/../Global/../Global/../Global/../Global/../Global to /Users/Admin/.jedit/cache/cache-442-1236169436839.tmp
13:23:58 [jEdit I/O #1] [debug] DirectoryCache: Cached sftp://admin@ourserver.com:22/var/www/lamda/modules/Global/../Global/../Global/../Global/../Global/../Global/.. to /Users/Admin/.jedit/cache/cache-443-1236169438009.tmp
etc.
User login
Browse archives
« February 2009 »
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   99587