jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Archives
Untitled Buffers
Submitted by jakbal on Thursday, 16 April, 2009 - 15:26
Hey All -

In my work, I spend a lot of time reading log files. As I read log files, I copy out snippets of information and paste them into tabs within a text editor, formerly UltraEdit. I'm trying to make the switch to jEdit - but I'm running into a really weird issue that I don't seem to get around.

The issue is that I want to have multiple unsaved buffers open at a time. These snippets of information that I paste into the text editor are nothing that I wish to save. In UltraEdit I can open up as many unsaved buffers as I want ... but in jEdit I only seem to be able to open up a single unsaved buffer.

Lets say I have jEdit open with a single buffer, reading a clean (no changes) text file. I hit CTRL-N and a new buffer opens "Untitled-1" - no problems. I hit CTRL-N again to open up a second unsaved buffer - nothing happens! There is no "Untitled-2" ...

Does this have something to do with my configuration of jEdit? Is this a limitation of jEdit? I've done a fair amount of searching and I haven't been able to find anyone else reporting this or discussing it. If it is a limiation, I will probably find myself gravitating back towards UltraEdit, I fear (which I would really like to avoid).

Any ideas?
Markers and marker browser
Submitted by gryf on Friday, 17 April, 2009 - 17:44
Hi.

In jEdit there is usefull feature called markers (and there is also menu for that) however there is something missing about it. There is no way to agregate all markers in one place like in Hypersearch window (or maybe i cannot find it). After some investigations, I found two things:

1. Plugin Markers Sets (http://plugins.jedit.org/plugins/?MarkerSets)

This is almost what I want, howerver it have two blockers: It have nothing to do with jEdit markers - it provide it own, and it doesn't work with jEdit 4.2 final which I use for "production" as a stable as a rock platform.

Is there any other plugin which can utilize markers information? It'll be perfect if it automaticly scan for marker in entire ProjectViewer project root directory.

2. Macro listMarkers.bsh (http://community.jedit.org/?q=node/view/1057) which uses jEdit markers, but it cannot be docked in way that plugins windows can. Also it list only markers from current buffer.

Is there a way to dock window created by a macro?

And finally - what informations are stored on *.mark file? I can see something like:
!.;289;289
Where dot after exclamation mark is actually null (0x00)

Thanks in advance for any comment.
Tag List and Tag Preview Problem
Submitted by gsawyer9 on Friday, 17 April, 2009 - 21:04
I'm trying to use the CtagsInterface plugin Tag List and Tag Preview features. Whenever I invoke either of them, the following error message is generated:

Sourced file: inline evaluation of: `` new dockables.TagList(view); ;'' : Constructor error: Can't find constructor: dockables.TagList( org.gjt.sp.jedit.View ) in class: dockables.TagList : at Line: 2 : in file: inline evaluation of: `` new dockables.TagList(view); ;'' : new dockables .TagList ( view )

I suspect that I've made a mistake in installation or configuration, but I've tried re-installing jEdit and the plugin. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

TIA,
Gary.
smaller toolbar icons?
Submitted by eldereko on Monday, 20 April, 2009 - 15:50
with 4.2 you could override the toolbar icons, but with 4.3 themes you can only choose from classic or tango... both of which are huge icons compared to almost every other app. is there a way to either override the icons as in 4.2 or switch to a smaller version of the theme, i see there are smaller versions in the jedit jar.
ErrorList: Sorted as in Console window + clickable?
Submitted by Axel on Monday, 20 April, 2009 - 18:05
Is there a way to get ErrorList behave like this: 1.) Having errors listed in the same order as shown in the Console window (because this order has a meaning) _together with_ 2.) "Clicking on an error will open the file containing the error and move the caret to its location" I can get working only one of these at a time. --- Details below --- Errormessages (of Ruby) look like this, in the Console Window: D:/Test/simple_trx_ui.rb :761:in `on_run_single_test': undefined local variable or method `test_end' for # (NameError) from D:/Test/simple_trx_ui.rb :876:in `eval' from D:/Test/simple_trx_ui.rb :761:in `on_run_single_test' from D:/Test/simple_trx_ui.rb :876:in `main_dialog' from D:/Test/trx/external/highline/menu.rb:312:in `call' from D:/Test/trx/external/highline/menu.rb:312:in `select' from D:/Test/trx/external/highline.rb:309:in `choose' from D:/Test/simple_trx_ui.rb :869:in `main_dialog' from D:/Test/simple_trx_ui.rb :867:in `loop' from D:/Test/simple_trx_ui.rb :867:in `main_dialog' from D:/Test/simple_trx_ui.rb :97:in `initialize' from D:/Test/simple_trx_ui.rb :918:in `new' from D:/Test/simple_trx_ui.rb :918 Process ruby exited with code 1 With: Error Regexp: (\s+from)?\s*(.:[^:]+)\s*:(\d+)Puzzled(.*) Extra lines regexp: I _can_ click every line and caret jumps to the right position, but I don't see the right order because ErrorList is mixed up: --D:/Test/simple_trx_ui.rb | |-- 97:in `initialize' | |-- 761:in `on_run_single_test' | |-- 761:in `on_run_single_test': undefined local variable or method ... | |-- 867:in `loop' | |-- 867:in `main_dialog' | |-- 869:in `main_dialog' | |-- 876:in `eval' | |-- 876:in `main_dialog' | |-- 918 | '-- 918:in `new' | --D:/Test/trx/external/highline/menu.rb | |-- 312:in `call' | '-- 312:in `select' | --D:/Test/trx/external/highline.rb '-- 309:in `choose' With using "Extra lines regexp": Error Regexp: ^([\ \t]*)(.:[^:]+)\s*:(\d+)Puzzled(.*) Extra lines regexp: ^[\ \t]*\s+from\s*(.:[^:]+\s*:\d+:?.*) the error messages are shown in the right order. But when I click the lines the caret jumps to the right position only for the first line (matched by 'Error Regexp'), and if I click the following lines (matched by 'Extra lines regexp'), it does _not_ jump to the the corresponding position. (Using additional grouping with paranthesises in the Extra lines regexp doesn't help.) --D:/Test/simple_trx_ui.rb '-- 761:in `on_run_single_test': undefined local variable or method ... |-- D:/Test/simple_trx_ui.rb :876:in `eval' |-- D:/Test/simple_trx_ui.rb :761:in `on_run_single_test' |-- D:/Test/simple_trx_ui.rb :876:in `main_dialog' |-- D:/Test/trx/external/highline/menu.rb:312:in `call' |-- D:/Test/trx/external/highline/menu.rb:312:in `select' |-- D:/Test/trx/external/highline.rb:309:in `choose' |-- D:/Test/simple_trx_ui.rb :869:in `main_dialog' |-- D:/Test/simple_trx_ui.rb :867:in `loop' |-- D:/Test/simple_trx_ui.rb :867:in `main_dialog' |-- D:/Test/simple_trx_ui.rb :97:in `initialize' |-- D:/Test/simple_trx_ui.rb :918:in `new' '-- D:/Test/simple_trx_ui.rb :918 This view apears to me very usable, if it would have enabled the use of the 'Error Patterns' called 'Filename' and 'Line number'. I'm using: Windows XP jEdit 4.3pre16 Java 1.6.0_07 Console 4.3.8 ErrorList 1.7 RubyPlugin 0.9.2 Error pattern: Name: Ruby Error Regexp: see above Warning regexp: Extra lines regexp: see above Filename: $2 Line number: $3 Error message: $4 "Ruby" is on the top of the Error patterns list Axel
HELP - cannot save favorite folders in JEdit on Mac
Submitted by markw21 on Wednesday, 22 April, 2009 - 15:45
Hi there, When I save a favorite folder to save to / open from in the file dialog, each time I restart JEdit these favorites are lost.

Can anyone explain how I can fix this.

I have seen windows forum entries stating that the properties files for JEdit stores this information, but I cannot find this on the Mac.

I am running Mac OS X 10.5.6 and have JEdit 4.3pre16

Many thanks

Mark
Global Search and Replace Without Opening Buffers
Submitted by proee on Wednesday, 22 April, 2009 - 22:45
I'm wondering if it's possible to do a "Search and Replace" in a directory without having jEdit open a buffer with the files matching the search criteria.

I'm looking for a way to do a "silent" search and replace where jEdit will make the changes, and save the file, all without opening a buffer (which it's currently doing).

In my case, i have a good 30 files with the matching criteria so when I do a "search and replace" in a directory this opens up 30 buffers.
Copy/Paste not working in dialog boxes (jEdit 4.3pre16)
Submitted by crodge2k on Thursday, 23 April, 2009 - 19:11
Recently changed jobs and fortunately was able to convince IT to let me install jEdit 4.3 Pre 16 (running on Java 1.6.0_13, WinXP) on my computer. Most things are working just fine, but I can't use copy or paste (C-c, C-v, C-x) in any dialog boxes -- file open, search/replace, hypersearch bar, etc. etc.

I don't think it's a bug because I was using jEdit 4.3 pre previously without an issue.

Suggestions anyone? I don't have admin rights on the machine, so it's hard to make many changes, and I don't want to ask IT to do too much because they'll ask me to switch to the standard software (I only got this installed as a favor). I've used jEdit for a couple of years now and love it -- would hate to have to switch to the "standard" software used here.
file/buffer persistence independent from session or project
Submitted by mabra on Friday, 24 April, 2009 - 02:47
Hi All!

Just - so far I think - a useful feature request;Make SOME [selectable] buffers/file always opened at start. This should be independent from session and project [were in the latter, I can just currently have only one open at a time]. May be tell it "always open" and open the files/buffers with one click [I have too many "favorites" to deal with Eye-wink ]. The better option would be to change "project" to have many open at a time.

Best regards,
--mabra
autocomplete macro question
Submitted by fenderog on Friday, 24 April, 2009 - 17:33
Hello everyone,

I want to write a macro that does a simple autocomplete. It is a macro that I've had for nedit and I would like to get it working on jedit but I dont have too much experience with java so I wanted to ask for a starting point

Pretty much what I want to have is a macro that once executed, searches the buffer *backwards* starting from the current position. and replaces the current word with the first found result , once executed again, replace it with second results , and go on.

here is an example
string $variableA = "bla";
string $variableB = "blabla";
string $variableC = "blablabla";

string $var -> right when I type this , I'd like to execute this macro , and it would replace $var with $variableC , $variableB $variableA

I'm not asking someone to write this for me, I just wanted to know if there is something out there similar that you might have encountered , if not just some example of a macro that's similar to this would be great

Thanks in advance !!
installing on ubuntu 8.04
Submitted by nagaraj on Sunday, 26 April, 2009 - 17:26
hi, is there any detailed installation instructions page anywhere? somehow the installation doesn't seem to work.
1- does it matter if other java installations are present?
2 - if other java installations are present how to direct jedit to recognise sun's java
3 - how to install java and jedit with synaptic
4 - any tweaking that needs to be done and how exactly can that be done? etc

thanks
Write macros in Java
Submitted by leshij on Monday, 27 April, 2009 - 16:28
Hello all.
Having written a pair of longer-then-ten-lines macros, I really missing coding support features like code completion, integrated javadoc and so on that is available in modern Java IDEs. I think it would be nice to have an ability to write macros in Java with your favourite IDE (yes, I know, there is IDE support for many languages, including dynamic ones, but such a support is a number of magnitude weaker then one for Java).
I have dirtily implemented this features inline in jEdit source code.
Is anyone interested in this? If so, I can repack it as a plugin.
cursor turns into "no parking" sign
Submitted by keepsea on Tuesday, 28 April, 2009 - 18:26
Hi,

sometimes when I am using jEdit, cursor turns into something that looks like black "no parking" sign and I cannot do anything, I cannot click anything and I have to restart X server. Is it a bug or a feature that I accidently turned on? How do I turn it off? If I turned it on I have no idea how I did that - I just noticed it usually happens when I am selecting text. Do you have any advice?

Yhank you.
jdiff plugin problems
Submitted by cby016 on Thursday, 30 April, 2009 - 19:33
I am using jedit 4.3pre13 with java 1.6.0_10 on linux mint. The problem I am having is that when I use the jdiff plugin, the two buffers do not scroll together. Also there are no arrows I can click on that will automatically add/remove text to the buffers. Under windows the jdiff plugin was much more functional, is there a way I can fix this in linux?
Mode Selection
Submitted by gsawyer9 on Friday, 1 May, 2009 - 20:14
How (when) does jEdit determine the mode to be used when editing a file?

My current project has many makefiles named "something.mak." I've set jEdit's makefile mode file name glob to "(*.mak,Makefile,makefile)" but the makefiles are opened in text mode. I can manually change it to makefile mode, but I often forget.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
Gary.
Some keys don't work
Submitted by fieldrabbit21 on Saturday, 2 May, 2009 - 14:57
Recently some of my keys don't work anymore. For example capital B, the left and right arrow, Delete Key. The rest of the keys behave normally.

I'm running jedit 4.3pre14 with Java 1.6 on two machines. One is working fine, the other has the problem.
Has anyone else had this before and what was the fix?

Cheers,
Fieldrabbit21
Electric Borders
Submitted by jnicholl17 on Monday, 4 May, 2009 - 18:42
- Using jEdit 4.2 -

I find that I am always having to adjust the vertical position of the page so that I can read a few lines before or after the carat position.

Electric Borders solves this problem to some degree, but it seems to be implemented by enforcing a minimum distance from the carat to the window edge of exactly 3 lines.

I am wondering if it is possible to configure Electric Borders so that the distance of 3 lines could be adjustable or user defined.

Better yet, is it possible to configure jEdit so that the carat is always vertically centered?

I am hesitant to add this as a feature request as I am unsure if this is already implemented.

Thanks,

James
Highlighting the same words by double clicking
Submitted by yirco on Thursday, 7 May, 2009 - 14:10
Hello,

I would like to double click on a word and have all the same words highlighted in the current file I am editing. For example when I double click word "myVariable", all instances of "myVariable" will be highlighted in the current file.

Is it possible to achieve that in jEdit?

Thank you.
More old-style text encodings in a plug-in
Submitted by Silversleeves on Friday, 8 May, 2009 - 02:54
I like what I see so far with jEdit, even though I've only had it on my system for less than 72 hrs.
I thought the TextTools plug-in would include such things as ROT13, Reverse, Flip, Shuffle Characters, etc, which are the little "toys" I remember fondly from BBEdit in my Mac days (incidentally those stretched from June of last year to the spring of 1993), and are also part of the Format menu in a similar product to this in Windows called EDXOR. I suppose these encryptions are old-hat, but from time to time I find one or two of them useful, and would like to see them added to jEdit.

BZT
(Win32 version) Files save with DOS CRLF linefeeds and/or /n line endings -- bad for Cygwin stuff.
Submitted by Silversleeves on Friday, 8 May, 2009 - 03:05
Maybe I'm missing something.

Is there a Buffer or Global Options setting in the present stable version to prevent either of these from happening when saving a file? If there isn't one, adding one would put jEdit ahead of the (lite versions of the) commercial developer-oriented text editors and definitely ahead of those emacs and vim clones that are still around for Windows and Mac OS X.

The whack-n's are particularly annoying when they appear in shell scripts in Cygwin and other Linux/Unix-es.

A cross-platform text editor should default with cross-platform file-write settings, imo, and as Mac and Windows both glom onto LF (without any /n ornamentation), logically that's the better, if not best, choice for a default.

Again, my opinion.

If I'm missing a hint or a clue as to the settings, please let me know.

BZT
User login
Browse archives
« April 2009 »
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   95567