jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Archives
installing on ubuntu 8.04
Submitted by nagaraj on Sunday, 26 April, 2009 - 17:26
hi, is there any detailed installation instructions page anywhere? somehow the installation doesn't seem to work.
1- does it matter if other java installations are present?
2 - if other java installations are present how to direct jedit to recognise sun's java
3 - how to install java and jedit with synaptic
4 - any tweaking that needs to be done and how exactly can that be done? etc

thanks
Write macros in Java
Submitted by leshij on Monday, 27 April, 2009 - 16:28
Hello all.
Having written a pair of longer-then-ten-lines macros, I really missing coding support features like code completion, integrated javadoc and so on that is available in modern Java IDEs. I think it would be nice to have an ability to write macros in Java with your favourite IDE (yes, I know, there is IDE support for many languages, including dynamic ones, but such a support is a number of magnitude weaker then one for Java).
I have dirtily implemented this features inline in jEdit source code.
Is anyone interested in this? If so, I can repack it as a plugin.
cursor turns into "no parking" sign
Submitted by keepsea on Tuesday, 28 April, 2009 - 18:26
Hi,

sometimes when I am using jEdit, cursor turns into something that looks like black "no parking" sign and I cannot do anything, I cannot click anything and I have to restart X server. Is it a bug or a feature that I accidently turned on? How do I turn it off? If I turned it on I have no idea how I did that - I just noticed it usually happens when I am selecting text. Do you have any advice?

Yhank you.
jdiff plugin problems
Submitted by cby016 on Thursday, 30 April, 2009 - 19:33
I am using jedit 4.3pre13 with java 1.6.0_10 on linux mint. The problem I am having is that when I use the jdiff plugin, the two buffers do not scroll together. Also there are no arrows I can click on that will automatically add/remove text to the buffers. Under windows the jdiff plugin was much more functional, is there a way I can fix this in linux?
Mode Selection
Submitted by gsawyer9 on Friday, 1 May, 2009 - 20:14
How (when) does jEdit determine the mode to be used when editing a file?

My current project has many makefiles named "something.mak." I've set jEdit's makefile mode file name glob to "(*.mak,Makefile,makefile)" but the makefiles are opened in text mode. I can manually change it to makefile mode, but I often forget.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
Gary.
Some keys don't work
Submitted by fieldrabbit21 on Saturday, 2 May, 2009 - 14:57
Recently some of my keys don't work anymore. For example capital B, the left and right arrow, Delete Key. The rest of the keys behave normally.

I'm running jedit 4.3pre14 with Java 1.6 on two machines. One is working fine, the other has the problem.
Has anyone else had this before and what was the fix?

Cheers,
Fieldrabbit21
Electric Borders
Submitted by jnicholl17 on Monday, 4 May, 2009 - 18:42
- Using jEdit 4.2 -

I find that I am always having to adjust the vertical position of the page so that I can read a few lines before or after the carat position.

Electric Borders solves this problem to some degree, but it seems to be implemented by enforcing a minimum distance from the carat to the window edge of exactly 3 lines.

I am wondering if it is possible to configure Electric Borders so that the distance of 3 lines could be adjustable or user defined.

Better yet, is it possible to configure jEdit so that the carat is always vertically centered?

I am hesitant to add this as a feature request as I am unsure if this is already implemented.

Thanks,

James
Highlighting the same words by double clicking
Submitted by yirco on Thursday, 7 May, 2009 - 14:10
Hello,

I would like to double click on a word and have all the same words highlighted in the current file I am editing. For example when I double click word "myVariable", all instances of "myVariable" will be highlighted in the current file.

Is it possible to achieve that in jEdit?

Thank you.
More old-style text encodings in a plug-in
Submitted by Silversleeves on Friday, 8 May, 2009 - 02:54
I like what I see so far with jEdit, even though I've only had it on my system for less than 72 hrs.
I thought the TextTools plug-in would include such things as ROT13, Reverse, Flip, Shuffle Characters, etc, which are the little "toys" I remember fondly from BBEdit in my Mac days (incidentally those stretched from June of last year to the spring of 1993), and are also part of the Format menu in a similar product to this in Windows called EDXOR. I suppose these encryptions are old-hat, but from time to time I find one or two of them useful, and would like to see them added to jEdit.

BZT
(Win32 version) Files save with DOS CRLF linefeeds and/or /n line endings -- bad for Cygwin stuff.
Submitted by Silversleeves on Friday, 8 May, 2009 - 03:05
Maybe I'm missing something.

Is there a Buffer or Global Options setting in the present stable version to prevent either of these from happening when saving a file? If there isn't one, adding one would put jEdit ahead of the (lite versions of the) commercial developer-oriented text editors and definitely ahead of those emacs and vim clones that are still around for Windows and Mac OS X.

The whack-n's are particularly annoying when they appear in shell scripts in Cygwin and other Linux/Unix-es.

A cross-platform text editor should default with cross-platform file-write settings, imo, and as Mac and Windows both glom onto LF (without any /n ornamentation), logically that's the better, if not best, choice for a default.

Again, my opinion.

If I'm missing a hint or a clue as to the settings, please let me know.

BZT
Listening for Buffer Selection
Submitted by Chemluth H. on Monday, 11 May, 2009 - 10:20
Hi!

I want my plugin to react if the user selects a Buffer or loads a new Buffer. The plugin should check then the path and do its actions, if it is responsible for the file which is shown in the Buffer.

How can I do this?

Greets

Chemluth
ProjectViewer development version (ProjectViewer.jar v2.9.0.0 by Shlomy Reinstein)
Submitted by shlomy on Monday, 11 May, 2009 - 16:50
This is the trunk version of ProjectViewer.
Jexplorer does not work
Submitted by psimonovsk on Wednesday, 13 May, 2009 - 07:12
Hi! I do not success to get Jexplorer plugin to work... I use jedit 4.3 pre 16 on windows...
I have installed all Java plugins (including Project manager - that Jexplorer depends on)... I get window of Jexplorer pugin... When I enter "create model" - it "creates model" (it appears on list) - but it finish it too fast (almost immediately) and index remains empty... I use java 1.5... Is there any way to troubleshoot it??? Or - any other way to get in jedit xreferences of Java project???
Accessing a Remote Database Server
Submitted by vhenry on Thursday, 14 May, 2009 - 20:24
Hi, new convert from Dreamweaver here. I have remote FTP set up but was hoping there is also a feature/plugin that will allow me to remotely connect to my database server. Does anything like that exist? Also 2 questions: is there an html shortcuts menu? is there a way to list css styles?
problems with error-list and console: error line numbers switch always to 1 and a new file is opened
Submitted by bseiz on Wednesday, 20 May, 2009 - 06:26
Hello,

i've got problems with the error-list plugin. I have searched the forum an google and didn't find any solution for my problem.

Every time i start my batch file for compiling from console the errors were displayed correct in the error-list. Now when i klick on an error in order to jump to it then the file with the errors opens again with now content and the cursor jumps to this file of course in line number 1. After that all other line-numbers in the error-list switch to 1. Sad

So i can't use the error-list for that it was made for Sad. Can anybody help me?
Thanks.
dialog box ignores width setting
Submitted by masher on Thursday, 21 May, 2009 - 03:55
I'm using 4.2final

When doing File|Open or File|Save As, the resultant dialog box is very narrow horizontally.

If I type "jEdit.getProperty("vfs.browser.dialog.width")" into the BeanShell, I get a value of 112 (on startup - as indicated in the properties file). If I manually resize the window (by dragging its edge), and check
on the window width, I'll get a value in the range of 600-700 (depending on how I resize it). I can also set the width by jEdit.setProperty("vfs.browser.dialog.width", "650"). If I check the width by jEdit.getProperty("vfs.browser.dialog.width"), the width is reported as I have set it.

If I then try and open (or save) another file, the dialog box opens as a narrow box, and the width reverts back to 112.

I can manually set the height by either dragging the window or using jEdit.setProperty and it is remembered.
I can manually set the x position by using jEdit.setProperty and it is remembered. If I drag it, it isn't remembered.
If I try to set a y value, jEdit forgets it.

I have tried exiting jEdit and editing the properties files to change the vfs.browser.dialog.width to a larger number. If I edit it, and then check on the value (jEdit.getProperty) before opening any dialog boxes, the value is reported as I have set it. After I try to open a file, the dialog box opens up as narrow, and the dialog box width is now reported as 112.

Any ideas?
Putting my own icons in the Tool Bar?
Submitted by Cheshirewhiskers on Friday, 22 May, 2009 - 01:02
Hi, I'm having trouble putting my own icons into the the Tool Bar... I assume that they have to be 22 by 22 pixels large & either png's or giff's but every time I try to load one, jEdit just freezes. Do the images I'm trying to load have to be in a certain folder or sub directory or something? I'm running jEdit on a mac G4 under OS X 10.4.11
Any help would be appreciated.
May with JEdit download/edit/upload remote webpage files ?
Submitted by lse123 on Sunday, 24 May, 2009 - 20:56
May with JEdit download/edit/upload remote webpage files ? If yes, I may see and remote hosting folder/file structure ? How many MBs takes on HDD the JEdit ?
maya plugin loading error.
Submitted by Sorath on Wednesday, 27 May, 2009 - 00:52
hey ppls.

i downloaded the maya plugin from highend - link: http://www.highend3d.com/maya/downloads/tools/syntax_scripting/jEdit-Maya-Editor-Plugin-3732.html

after following the installation rules as described in the tutorial: http://www.highend3d.com/maya/tutorials/using_tools_scripts/319-1.html
i got the following error: (image link): http://www.resurrexion.org/images/jedit_mayaerror.jpg

does anyone know if that could be a compatibility error with the jedit version, any ideas?

thanks in advance
i'd love to get this working, as the internal script editor from maya is totally crap.

cheers
Bastian
contextmenu on mac?
Submitted by TheGhost on Wednesday, 27 May, 2009 - 05:54
Hello,
how can I add jedit to the context menu on a Mac to open several file types (html, txt, dat, ...)?
Thanks
Dominik
User login
Browse archives
« April 2009 »
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   95567