jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Archives
jEdit launcher, Mac OS/X, Java 1.5.0_19
Submitted by k.kelln on Monday, 22 June, 2009 - 19:29
I just upgraded my Macbook (OS/X 10.5.7) to Java 1.5.0_19 and my jEdit launcher stopped working. This happens everytime I update Java or Mac OS/X versions. I can fire off the jar version, but the normal launcher crashes and burns. Of course, with the jar version I lose the Mac specific interface. Ideas?
How to enter a right angle brtacket (>) (Newbee)
Submitted by HJarausch on Tuesday, 23 June, 2009 - 11:21
Hi, I'm new to Jedit and cannot enter a right angle bracket (>). e.g. Trying to enter I can only enter
More than one buffer for a file in one view
Submitted by weberjn on Wednesday, 1 July, 2009 - 11:24
Hi,

sometimes I'd need for large files to have the file in more than one buffer to be able to have a cursor at several positions in the file.
e.g. I'd like to have one buffer that shows the start of the file and one where the cursor is positioned at the end.
Is this possible?
I have read http://community.jedit.org/?q=node/view/3870
but I'd not like to have several views.

Thanks,
Juergen
Does plugin availability depend on the OS?
Submitted by eze on Wednesday, 1 July, 2009 - 22:28
Greetings! I have recently installed jEdit on Windows and Ubuntu. Under Windows the Plugin Manager lists some plugins not listed under Ubuntu. For instance, XML and Python Client. Is this normal? Is there a fix besides manual installation (which already gave me a few headaches)?

Thanks in advance!

Eze
cannot start :java.lang.unsupporedclassveresionerror :bad versions number in .class file try updating new version of the plugin
Submitted by jagadeesh on Friday, 10 July, 2009 - 07:46
cannot start :java.lang.unsupporedclassveresionerror :bad versions number in .class file try updating new version of the plugin(lazy8ledzer)
dockable Find / Search dialog
Submitted by squindler on Wednesday, 15 July, 2009 - 05:38
It would be really handy for the Find dialog to be dockable - I find it really handy to leave the dialog open while stepping through search results but at work I'm often stuck with limited screen real estate so the dialog obscures the text area.
TextAutocomplete - fix for 0.9.8b (TextAutocomplete.jar v0.9.8b)
Submitted by shlomy on Wednesday, 15 July, 2009 - 11:34
This version fixes the slow startup introduced in version 0.9.8b due to an incorrect URL for the default word list file.
ProjectViewer Plugin not available
Submitted by devashanti_om3 on Wednesday, 15 July, 2009 - 16:49
I just installed jEdit v 4.2 Final on a new machine. I have used jEdit for many years and I always install the ProjectViewer plugin, but it is not available in Plugin Manager for this version when I download the Plugins. I located it on a separate website and downloaded it but am not sure how to install it as I always used the jEdit Plugin manager in the past. I installed other plugins through jEdit's Plugin Manager and the option to have them installed to the jEdit settings directory was selected, but I cannot find the jEdit settings directory in the C:\Program Files\jEdit main directory anywhere. Can someone help me understand how to install ProjectViewer and why it is no longer included in the Plugin available through jEdit's Plugin Manager?
Trying to use plugins with a StandaloneTextArea
Submitted by frisco on Thursday, 16 July, 2009 - 09:52
I want to use jEdit to replace our old TextArea component in an custom Java Ide, I have been able to create the textarea in an empty frame and load java mode to have syntax higlightning (I was unable to load it from the jar, but it is working).
Now I want to add code completion to the text area I have seen that I should use JavaSideKick to do that but as far as I see there is no way to load plugins in the TextArea version (PluginJar is missing and it seems to use some kind of connection that TextArea does not have).
So I ask for help here, maybe I am missing something or someone has any idea on how to load plugins in an Standalone TextArea?
list with all variables used in a script
Submitted by tom1234 on Saturday, 18 July, 2009 - 10:20
Hi all,

when writing a schript (or program) with jEdit I would like to have a list with all variables used in this script. Does jEdit provide such a functionality? I haven't found such a thing.

Tanks for your help.
Tom
List open files in alphabetical order
Submitted by optigon on Sunday, 19 July, 2009 - 16:18
I have been using Jedit for a few years. Thanks.

My question is about how recently opened files are listed in the buffer pull down list. I believe at some point they were listed alphabetically, but now (mine) are listed by most recently opened.

Is there an option for making the list of opened files alphabetical?

Richard Jones
Proper colors for inline CSS
Submitted by Lobotom on Wednesday, 22 July, 2009 - 08:30
Hi people,
I have had jEdit installed on my comp for two years or so, and for the last months I've been using it intensively for making web pages : my main benefit from jEdit was to easily spot details of CSS properties, as I had the content of the style="" attribute displayed just like CSS in a .css file, green prop names and pink/red/blue values.

Now for no good reason yesterday I decided to update jEdit to 4.2 final and behold! I have lost all embedding functionnality. I used to almost never mind jEdit settings, so I'm not sure what my previous install was, I do remember I kicked off out-of-date plugins (one or two) after 4.2 was installed.

I've been trying any kind of plugins and modes since yesterday, including "A colouful HTML" which does NOT work well at all (for my 4.2 at least, random HTML tag color choices, same for CSS) but I couldn't find anything that would do it.
I'm in dire need for retrieving an equivalent of my previous install, and much frustrated that an update threw me back to the stone-age of editing comfort. I could try another editor, but hey, I feel familiar with jEdit and I'd prefer trying it all before waving it bye-bye.

Any clue or direction is very welcome.

(As a side note I'll add that the css.xml that comes with a 4.2 final fresh install doesn't even work properly : in pure CSS files I've noticed some properties names, like "top", are mistaken with values).
Create Global Object in macros
Submitted by Jabberwock on Friday, 24 July, 2009 - 06:05
Hello,

How i cab create a global object in Macro ?

In my case, i create a TelnetWrapper object with the connection, how I can create a global object, becaus i dont' want to process the reconnection, i prefer to re-use my previous object ?

For example :
step 1 : i launch my macro, i create the TelnetWrapper object_toto with the connection.
step 2 : i launch again my macro, but i want to re-use my object_toto without re-connection

It's poossible ?

Thw very much
Highlighting Headers in Html Edit Mode
Submitted by Gary Gabriel on Saturday, 25 July, 2009 - 08:15
Hi,

I use jEdit to code html and to write html formatted content. For writing content jEdit html mode proves trying and detracts from focusing on the content, and the content logic or flow. I'm searching for a better solution where the header tags h1, h2, h3, h4, h5 and h6 are highlighted. This supports connection of the content logic. It also enables faster orientation in the page and much less time spent looking for a specific page point.

Are there alternatives to offer the highlighting or an easy orientation on the headers? InfoViewer does not highlight (html) headers hence not offering relief.

Or is there another possibility to use?

Thanks for your help- Gary Gabriel
Context Free Art (*.cfdg) (cfdg.xml v0.31 by monkstone)
Submitted by monkstone on Tuesday, 28 July, 2009 - 10:45
Syntax Highlight Mode for editing a *.cfdg file (Context Free Art), last revision/update 10 July 2012, including support for Version 3.0 syntax. The names of rule/path/shape are now highlighted as FUNCTION. Curly '{' and '(' brackets are now treated similarly, apart from the possible indent on '}', like C C++ java etc. Other aspects of new syntax in need of refining, but I hope develop that in time. Includes new CF namespace highlighting eg CF::Background and CF::Continuous CF::Impure, most recently added Symmetry directives. You may also be interested in the commando file that I've added in that section allows you to run cfdg from jedit (mainly of interest to linux users, now updated to support quicktime movie output)
block lines
Submitted by fedor on Tuesday, 28 July, 2009 - 16:25
hello everyone,

im new in jEdit, please just want to know how to turn on thous block line-s
http://wattaz.sk/downloads/jedit.jpg

thank you
Processing Mode (*.pde) (processing.xml v1.8 by by monkstone )
Submitted by monkstone on Tuesday, 28 July, 2009 - 17:43
A syntax highlighting mode for processing-(2/3). Based on keywords.txt, java.xml and the original version by toxi. instructions on how to install the processing mode at the processing wiki. Where keyboard shortcuts are also available. Since processing-2.0 it is possible to run sketches form jEdit (using macros etc, I have made those available elsewhere).
installed 4.3.17 and doesn't start up
Submitted by merrill77 on Friday, 31 July, 2009 - 15:47
I've been using jEdit for many years with no problems. I was using 4.3.15, I think, and wanted a plugin that required 4.3.17, so I installed the new version. When it starts, the splash screen gets up to the "run startup scripts" and then stops. I've installed in a new folder with the same result. I don't see any log files in the installation folder - is there anywhere else I can look to find out what is going wrong?

I have XP/sp3, Sun JDK6 default and other Sun JDKs (1.5, etc) installed.

Chris
SVNPlugin, saving login credentials?
Submitted by wkoorts on Saturday, 1 August, 2009 - 00:35
Hi,

Is it possible to save login credentials for the SVNPlugin? It's a real pain having to type my login details every time I do some kind of SVN action.

Regards,
Wayne
Infoviewer configuration with Windows XP
Submitted by Gary Gabriel on Monday, 3 August, 2009 - 11:32
Hi,

I would like to be able to work more effectively and use Infoviewer with Firefox as external browser for .html texts. But I can't seem to find the right configuration. I get the following errors with the last configuration that I tried:

[debug] InfoViewerPlugin: (external): openURL: file:C:\2009\Temp2009\20091Pub_SisA7_LeadManage_Scribd.htm
[debug] InfoViewerPlugin: args[0]=C:\Programme\MozillaFirefox\firefox.exe
[debug] InfoViewerPlugin: args[1]=file:C:\2009\Temp2009\20091Pub_SisA7_LeadManage_Scribd.htm

If someone could give me a tip on what to tweak; i would appreciate it. Or a tip on where to look for more info- I tried the plugin help, and the wiki.

Thanks- Gary Gabriel
« June 2009 »
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Forum topics
Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   96034