jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Archives
Xilize for jEdit 4.3 (xilize-jEdit.jar v3.0.3.32 by Dale Anson)
Submitted by daleanson on Thursday, 27 August, 2009 - 03:40
A build of the Xilize plugin for jEdit 4.3. This is not from the plugin maintainer, I just made the fixes so it would run in jEdit 4.3.
java.lang.ClassCastException: org.gjt.sp.jedit.Buffer cannot be cast to java.awt.Component with Java Version 6 Update 15
Submitted by rcrodgers on Thursday, 27 August, 2009 - 21:21
After updating Java to version 6 update 15 on Windows Vista (Ultimate, 64-bit), I realized that I had jEdit 4.2 installed and decided to update it to the latest version (4.3pre17) because certain plug-ins weren't working as expected. After installing 4.3pre17, I'm getting the following exception when trying to launch jEdit:
java.lang.ClassCastException: org.gjt.sp.jedit.Buffer cannot be cast to java.awt.Component
	at org.gjt.sp.jedit.View.restoreSplitConfig(View.java:1747)
	at org.gjt.sp.jedit.View.setSplitConfig(View.java:911)
	at org.gjt.sp.jedit.View.(View.java:1356)
	at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit.newView(jEdit.java:2403)
	at org.gjt.sp.jedit.PerspectiveManager$PerspectiveHandler.endElement(PerspectiveManager.java:341)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.endElement(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.dtd.XMLNSDTDValidator.endNamespaceScope(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.dtd.XMLDTDValidator.handleEndElement(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.dtd.XMLDTDValidator.endElement(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanEndElement(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContentDriver.next(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentScannerImpl.next(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLNSDocumentScannerImpl.next(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XMLParser.parse(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(Unknown Source)
	at org.gjt.sp.util.XMLUtilities.parseXML(XMLUtilities.java:139)
	at org.gjt.sp.jedit.SettingsXML.load(SettingsXML.java:155)
	at org.gjt.sp.jedit.PerspectiveManager.loadPerspective(PerspectiveManager.java:104)
	at org.gjt.sp.jedit.EditServer.handleClient(EditServer.java:215)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.Reflect.invokeMethod(Reflect.java:134)
	at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.Reflect.invokeStaticMethod(Reflect.java:98)
	at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.Name.invokeMethod(Name.java:871)
	at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.BSHMethodInvocation.eval(BSHMethodInvocation.java:75)
	at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.BSHPrimaryExpression.eval(BSHPrimaryExpression.java:102)
	at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.BSHPrimaryExpression.eval(BSHPrimaryExpression.java:47)
	at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.BSHAssignment.eval(BSHAssignment.java:77)
	at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.Interpreter.eval(Interpreter.java:644)
	at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.Interpreter.eval(Interpreter.java:738)
	at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.Interpreter.eval(Interpreter.java:727)
	at org.gjt.sp.jedit.BeanShellFacade._eval(BeanShellFacade.java:148)
	at org.gjt.sp.jedit.BeanShellFacade.eval(BeanShellFacade.java:113)
	at org.gjt.sp.jedit.BeanShell.eval(BeanShell.java:369)
	at org.gjt.sp.jedit.EditServer$1.run(EditServer.java:343)
	at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
Setting to remember window size/position/monitor from last time?
Submitted by KimBastin on Friday, 28 August, 2009 - 02:40
When I used JEdit 4.3pre16, it used to open its window the same size and position and on the same monitor as it was when I last quit the program. (I use a two-monitor system.) But 4.3pre17 always opens in the middle of the primary monitor and always quite small, so I have to drag it larger. Evidently a setting has been lost in the update, but I can't find it.

What's the setting to make Jedit remember its window settings from the last time it was run?

Running on WinXP (SP3), Java 1.6.0_15.
jEdit on Snow Leopard
Submitted by rrm74001 on Friday, 28 August, 2009 - 04:25
I plan on installing Mac OS X Snow leopard tomorrow. Does any one know how jEdit is going to react? I know jEdit is sensitive to Java updates, so I was just wondering if I should expect any problems updating the OS. I am going to school working toward a Computer Science major, so I NEED jEdit to work Laughing out loud.
FoldViewer - updated for recent jEdit versions (e.g. 4.3pre17) (FoldViewer.jar v0.1 by Shlomy Reinstein)
Submitted by shlomy on Friday, 28 August, 2009 - 19:46
Updated FoldViewer to work with the latest jEdit - 4.3pre17. It broke due to a change in the Buffer's constructor: The Hashtable parameter was replaced by a Map one.
Underscore not working
Submitted by diogobaeder on Monday, 31 August, 2009 - 02:58
Hi all, My jEdit is not putting the underscore in the editing text area - it puts a blank space in its place -. Here's the keyboard test output: Event KEY_PRESSED,keyCode=0x10,keyChar=0xffff,modifiers=0x1,consumed=0 filtered Event KEY_PRESSED,keyCode=0x2d,keyChar=0x5f,modifiers=0x1,consumed=0 filtered Event KEY_TYPED,keyCode=0x0,keyChar=0x5f,modifiers=0x1,consumed=0 passed ==> Translated to <0,5f> Event KEY_RELEASED,keyCode=0x2d,keyChar=0x5f,modifiers=0x1,consumed=0 passed Event KEY_RELEASED,keyCode=0x10,keyChar=0xffff,modifiers=0x0,consumed=0 filtered Could someone help me? Thanks, Diogo
Invalid initial heap size: -XmsM
Submitted by Claribob on Saturday, 5 September, 2009 - 14:10
Hi ! My OS is Fedora 10. I'd like to get Jedit up and running so I can use the Lilypond plugin. So, I followed instructions at the Lilypondtool web site: http://lilypondtool.organum.hu/86.html It told me to install Java Runtime 5.0 and gave instructions which I followed. Then to get Jedit 4.3pre16 or later. I downloaded 4.3pre17 It took me hours to finally get Java installed, I think. When I give this command in terminal: update-alternatives --config java I get a listing which shows three java files. The Plus (+) symbol is on jre1.6.0_16 and when I give this command in terminal: java -version it also lists jre1.6.0_16 This is what's it's supposed to be for Lilypondtool. Then I installed Jedit4.3pre17install.

But, when I try to run Jedit from terminal, I get the following: Invalid initial heap size: -XmsM Could not create the Java virtual machine. Anyone using Jedit in Fedora who can help me with this ?

RL
Selecting lines between two points?
Submitted by hungryOrb on Wednesday, 9 September, 2009 - 02:25
Hi all! I'm a noob user, and am having trouble selecting lines between two points. In example: -----------
Text between Div1 Text between Div2
In the macro, I might want to start the cursor at the first div open, then use the search function to find the close so the cursor is at
then press up arrow once, select the line (Div2 line) then add to the selection everything from that line upwards to where my cursor started. So after all, the selection will contain every line from
to "Text between Div2". However, when I try this, I use the CTRL+F search function, and any selection I have, is overwritten when you hit search and the thing you are looking for replaces the selection. Having 'Multiple Selection' option checked doesn't help.. Thanks for considering my plight! O
TaskList -- bug using the Gtk+ L&F
Submitted by kog on Thursday, 10 September, 2009 - 03:55
The TaskList plugin (version 1.1.0) doesn't work when the Gtk+ Look and Feel is enabled; parsing the buffer, if there are any tasks embedded in it, causes the plugin to crash, and the activity log reveals a NullPointerException, but fails to locate it. TaskList works fine under Metal; it's only under Gtk+ that it crashes.
scroll line change current line
Submitted by zelhar on Thursday, 10 September, 2009 - 10:31
I see that the commands C-" and C-/ scrolls line but keeps the current line the same, so it disappears off screen if you scroll up down too far, and then if you use UP Down or similar navigation commands the screen jumps back to the current line.

I want a scroll line that keeps the current line at the same position on the screen, meaning if I scoll one line up, the current line also move one line up. Just like C-Up is done in NP++ and Cream.
Better Caret colors
Submitted by zelhar on Thursday, 10 September, 2009 - 10:35
I wish I could chose the color of the caret and the color of the char inside the caret. So a block caret would be a real block, as it is in vim or even in konsole. The block caret should be a solid color, say black, when on empty char, and when on a char, the char is displayed against the block caret's color, like white on a black caret for example.
Getting jEdit started under Vista Home Premium
Submitted by Abbeyman on Friday, 11 September, 2009 - 09:57
Hi,

I want to operate jEdit on a Windows Vista Home Premium OS, installed latest JAVA environment and the latest jEdit. At double-klick the program does not start (even with administrator rights and simulating an WIN XP SP2 environment). Another post said you need to delete perspecitves.xml in the folder "Settings". Problem is, there is not such a folder, nor the xml-file. Does anyone has experience with operating jEdit under WIN VISTA Home Premium? It would be very sad to miss jEdit as it looks very promising.

Thanks in advance for any help & best regards from germany

Jan
4.3pre17 crashes with Snow Leopard
Submitted by phemets on Monday, 14 September, 2009 - 08:42
Hi everyone! I recently switched to Mac after having used jEdit on Windows for years. Everything worked fine with 4.2, but using the touchpad for scrolling on Mac was a real show stopper. This should be solved with 4.3pre17, so I tried to install it. The first time I tried to start the Mac app the splash screen froze. Every subsequent time it stopped one second after starting. This happens both with the Mac OS App and jedit.jar from the Java-based installer. If I try 4.3pre16 everything works fine. Deleting the configuration directory doesn't help. Any ideas? Paul Error messages when trying to start jedit.jar: Error messages:10:33:05 [AWT-EventQueue-0] [error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.View.setSplitConfig(View.java:911) 10:33:05 [AWT-EventQueue-0] [error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.View.(View.java:1356) 10:33:05 [AWT-EventQueue-0] [error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit.newView(jEdit.java:2403) 10:33:05 [AWT-EventQueue-0] [error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.PerspectiveManager$PerspectiveHandler.endElement(PerspectiveManager.java:341) 10:33:05 [AWT-EventQueue-0] [error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.endElement(AbstractSAXParser.java:601) 10:33:05 [AWT-EventQueue-0] [error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.dtd.XMLNSDTDValidator.endNamespaceScope(XMLNSDTDValidator.java:263) 10:33:05 [AWT-EventQueue-0] [error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.dtd.XMLDTDValidator.handleEndElement(XMLDTDValidator.java:2028) 10:33:05 [AWT-EventQueue-0] [error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.dtd.XMLDTDValidator.endElement(XMLDTDValidator.java:901) 10:33:05 [AWT-EventQueue-0] [error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanEndElement(XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.java:1774) 10:33:05 [AWT-EventQueue-0] [error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContentDriver.next(XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.java:2930) 10:33:05 [AWT-EventQueue-0] [error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentScannerImpl.next(XMLDocumentScannerImpl.java:648) 10:33:05 [AWT-EventQueue-0] [error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLNSDocumentScannerImpl.next(XMLNSDocumentScannerImpl.java:140) 10:33:05 [AWT-EventQueue-0] [error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.java:510) 10:33:05 [AWT-EventQueue-0] [error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(XML11Configuration.java:807) 10:33:05 [AWT-EventQueue-0] [error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(XML11Configuration.java:737) 10:33:05 [AWT-EventQueue-0] [error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java:107) 10:33:05 [AWT-EventQueue-0] [error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(AbstractSAXParser.java:1205) 10:33:05 [AWT-EventQueue-0] [error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at org.gjt.sp.util.XMLUtilities.parseXML(XMLUtilities.java:139) 10:33:05 [AWT-EventQueue-0] [error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.SettingsXML.load(SettingsXML.java:155) 10:33:05 [AWT-EventQueue-0] [error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.PerspectiveManager.loadPerspective(PerspectiveManager.java:104) 10:33:05 [AWT-EventQueue-0] [error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit$6.run(jEdit.java:3833) 10:33:05 [AWT-EventQueue-0] [error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:209) 10:33:05 [AWT-EventQueue-0] [error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:633) 10:33:05 [AWT-EventQueue-0] [error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:296) 10:33:05 [AWT-EventQueue-0] [error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:211) 10:33:05 [AWT-EventQueue-0] [error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:201) 10:33:05 [AWT-EventQueue-0] [error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:196) 10:33:05 [AWT-EventQueue-0] [error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:188) 10:33:05 [AWT-EventQueue-0] [error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:122) Output of "java -version": java version "1.6.0_15" Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_15-b03-219) Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 14.1-b02-90, mixed mode)
ftp plugin throws jsch-exception: failed to send channel request
Submitted by sven2 on Monday, 14 September, 2009 - 11:42
I'm using the latest Version of JEdit (4.3pre17) and the corresponding FTP-plugin (0.9.5) under java 1.6.0_16. When I'm trying to connect to my server using sftp, it fails reporting the following i/o error message:

Cannot list directory: java.io.IOException: com.jcraft.jsch.JSchException: failed to send channel request

Here is the excerpt of the log file:

[...]
13:23:16 [jEdit I/O #4] [message] SftpLogger: SSH_MSG_NEWKEYS sent
13:23:16 [jEdit I/O #4] [message] SftpLogger: SSH_MSG_NEWKEYS received
13:23:16 [jEdit I/O #4] [message] SftpLogger: SSH_MSG_SERVICE_REQUEST sent
13:23:16 [jEdit I/O #4] [message] SftpLogger: SSH_MSG_SERVICE_ACCEPT received
13:23:16 [jEdit I/O #4] [message] SftpLogger: Authentications that can continue: publickey,keyboard-interactive,password
13:23:16 [jEdit I/O #4] [message] SftpLogger: Next authentication method: publickey
13:23:16 [jEdit I/O #4] [message] SftpLogger: Authentications that can continue: keyboard-interactive,password
13:23:16 [jEdit I/O #4] [message] SftpLogger: Next authentication method: keyboard-interactive
13:23:16 [jEdit I/O #4] [message] SftpLogger: Authentications that can continue: password
13:23:16 [jEdit I/O #4] [message] SftpLogger: Next authentication method: password
13:23:16 [jEdit I/O #4] [message] SftpLogger: Authentication succeeded (password).
13:23:16 [jEdit I/O #4] [error] BrowserIORequest: java.io.IOException: com.jcraft.jsch.JSchException: failed to send channel request
13:23:16 [jEdit I/O #4] [error] BrowserIORequest: at ftp.SFtpConnection.(SFtpConnection.java:101)
13:23:16 [jEdit I/O #4] [error] BrowserIORequest: at ftp.ConnectionManager.getConnection(ConnectionManager.java:328)
13:23:16 [jEdit I/O #4] [error] BrowserIORequest: at ftp.FtpVFS.getConnection(FtpVFS.java:458)
13:23:16 [jEdit I/O #4] [error] BrowserIORequest: at ftp.FtpVFS._canonPath(FtpVFS.java:195)
13:23:16 [jEdit I/O #4] [error] BrowserIORequest: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.browser.BrowserIORequest.listDirectory(BrowserIORequest.java:158)
13:23:16 [jEdit I/O #4] [error] BrowserIORequest: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.browser.BrowserIORequest.run(BrowserIORequest.java:90)
13:23:16 [jEdit I/O #4] [error] BrowserIORequest: at org.gjt.sp.util.WorkThread.doRequest(WorkThread.java:213)
13:23:16 [jEdit I/O #4] [error] BrowserIORequest: at org.gjt.sp.util.WorkThread.doRequests(WorkThread.java:180)
13:23:16 [jEdit I/O #4] [error] BrowserIORequest: at org.gjt.sp.util.WorkThread.run(WorkThread.java:154)

I also tried this with older versions of JEdit an the ftp plugin, e.g. with JEdit 4.2final and ftp 0.7.3. It doesn't work either, though throwing a different error. I even downloaded the latest version of JSch and replaced the version in the jar directory of JEdit, resulting in the same error message. I don't know what's going wrong, maybe somebody out there has any ideas? Please help cause I'm out of options...

Thanks in advance,
sven
OS X Leopard open file with Jedit
Submitted by Jaap on Friday, 18 September, 2009 - 11:52
In Leopard I want to open files (txt, css, html, etc) with Jedit. Jedit opens but with empty screen, file did not open. I have to open file manually.
How to tell Jedit I want the file to open when I click on file? Leopard knows I want to open some files with Jedit (told Leopard with file info)
New Java profiler to improve jEdit
Submitted by SoftwarePearls on Friday, 18 September, 2009 - 15:32
As a 'thank you' to the jEdit team, we're giving away free (full) licenses to our new CollectionSpy profiler to all serious jEdit contributors. CollectionSpy is the only Java profiler to focus exclusively on Collections Framework usage issues.

See http://www.collectionspy.com for tool features, contact details (please use the Support page), etc
Autohide docked views and better "intellisense"
Submitted by DaveF on Monday, 21 September, 2009 - 21:24
Hello,

I was wondering if it would be possible to automatically hide docked views when they no longer have focus. I remember there used to be a plugin for that functionality quite a while ago, but it's no longer compatible with the latest version of jEdit. I also think better "intellisense" and code completion would be a major plus. A lot of times I have to keep switching between jEdit and the Java API docs because I can't remember exactly how a certain method is spelled. It would be much easier if I could see a list of methods pop up as soon as I type '.'

Dave
Need Help
Submitted by Nirvana_One on Tuesday, 22 September, 2009 - 08:31
Hello,
I found it fast while jedit openning a txt file and displaying it even the file is large, why?
I use text to append the StringBuffer, also use MappedByteBuffer, but it's not as fast as jedit.
Would someone tell me some...?
Also My email: ts.nirvana@gmail.com
Thanks very much.
Powershell edit mode (powershell.xml v1.0 by James Hamilton)
Submitted by hmhoek on Tuesday, 22 September, 2009 - 19:25
Loosely based on jEdit's perl mode. This highlights just about all regular syntax, although I have not added support for calling generics yet. Ctrl-i indentation also works. Static methods don't get highlighted because when I wrote this lookbehinds weren't supported in mode definitions.
external editor parameters of code composer
Submitted by bseiz on Wednesday, 23 September, 2009 - 07:19
Hello,

i want to use jEdit as an external editor of Code Composer 3.1. I have tried a lot of things but nothing works. Especially i want to set up a line parameter which tells jEdit to go to a specific line.

Here you will find a screenshot of the configuration dialog of Code Composer for external editors:
http://www.bilder-space.de/show.php?file=23.09VZn2eHSmjrKEQIU.JPG

Can anybody help please?
User login
Browse archives
« August 2009 »
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   97301