jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Archives
Getting standalone textarea to work with syntax highlighting, code completion, etc.
Submitted by mikeklein on Sunday, 22 November, 2009 - 21:22
I have run build.xml to generate standalone-textarea and despite tweaks (BufferUndoListener?) needed in build got past this.

I can successfully show a textarea with my content inside however there is no java syntax highlighting, backspace/del/arrow keys don't work, etc. All text is black and white.

I am instantiating the textarea with supplied 'jedit.props' file and changed default mode from text to java in 'jedit.props'. I have confirmed that modes directory (with text.xml/java.xml) is a part of my textarea jar produced by build as is the modified jedit.props file.

Any ideas how I can actually use this standalone widget as intended? I need syntax highlighting and code completion. I was hoping to pass in classpath urls as needed for code completion part.

I am seeing nothing in APIs (at least from textarea) which would allow me to do any of the above.

Help w/be nice right about now...

thanks in advance,

mike
Complete Word automatically after Nth letter
Submitted by DVV on Thursday, 26 November, 2009 - 14:40
Please add an option for jEdit to call/execute its built-in function "Complete Word" for every word after N first characters of this word have been typed.
You see, typing Ctrl+B for each word is tiresome, why don't jEdit itself (automatically) show the list of possible words after Nth first letters of a word have been typed?
Regex for jEdit
Submitted by Whoshooter on Sunday, 29 November, 2009 - 18:40
Hi there - this is my first post here on the forum. I used to use UE but have switched to jEDIT. I have a regex for EU that adds the word BREAK every three sentences (or periods really), that worked like this.

BEFORE
The cow juumped over the silvery moon. Jack and Jill went up the hill to fetch a pail of water. Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall. It was the best the times it was the worst of times.

AFTER REGX
The cow juumped over the silvery moon. Jack and Jill went up the hill to fetch a pail of water. Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall. BREAK It was the best the times it was the worst of times.

This was the REGEX I used in EU for this move;

Find What: ^([~.]+.[~.]+.[~.]+.^)

Replace With: ^1 BREAK

Does any smart person know what the jEDIT version of this would be??? I'm fighting it with no signs of success in the near future.
How to use automatic configuration script with jedit
Submitted by vivekbhat on Wednesday, 2 December, 2009 - 08:21
Hi,

I use jEdit in office where we connect to the internet using proxy. This proxy is set by an automatic proxy configuration url (PAC).

Now I am not sure how run this configuration in jEdit. I know there is "Proxy Servers" settings tab in "Global Options". But there is no place where I can put the automatic proxy configuration url. The downside of this is that I can install or upgrade jEdit or jEdit Plugins here.

Any help will be greatly appreciated... Smiling
jedit and git
Submitted by vivekbhat on Thursday, 3 December, 2009 - 10:09
Hi,

Is there a way I can use git with jedit. Like while creating projects, in the Verison Control there is a choice of subversion... I wanted to use git instead of that. Can I do that...
jEdit in github
Submitted by sergi.mansilla on Sunday, 6 December, 2009 - 21:33
Hello,

I believe that switching the jEdit VCS to git/github would attract developers to the project. Several projects have reported great benefits contribution-wise when they moved to github (Erlang, jQuery, HelmaNG and Clojure being some of them). The reason is that the pull/push/branching system is amazingly convenient and lets everybody focus on real code and not maintenance. The interface is easy to use as well.

Is there any possibility that this would happen in the near future? I think it would be amazing for the project, really.

Cheers,

Sergi
Two file browser/favorites features
Submitted by painted on Tuesday, 8 December, 2009 - 18:45
Love jedit. A couple changes to the favorites feature I'd love to see:

1) The ability to edit favorites. I use them to store FTP connections for the FTP plugin, and right now if a password, username, or path changes, I have to delete the whole entry and add it again.

2) Favorites saved on the fly. Right now it seems changes to favorites are only saved when you exit the program. A few times I've entered a new favorite only to have the program or machine crash later in the session and I lose the favorite I'd already entered. IMO these should be saved automatically any time they're changed.

Thanks
Jedit look and feel Themes
Submitted by danilo2 on Tuesday, 8 December, 2009 - 20:32
Hi!
I'm new user of JEdit and I'm slowly discovering all its amazing features.
One of the things, I want to do on the beginning, is I want to adjust the look of this editor - I know it is possible.
Currently I want to achivve effect like this one:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_jhhCwGCa5Zg/SnvW0GHuRQI/AAAAAAAAAAs/CE7MmLBA96c/s1600-h/Screenshot-jEdit+-+~-Desktop-haxegui-haxegui-controls-Component.hx+%28modified%29+%5BGroup:+All+Projects%5D.png

Could you please tell me:

1) how can I edit the color schemes - where are the schemes files?
(I found that in "look and feel" plugin there are looks and feels like "skin" or "oyoaha" - but I cannot find instructions how to write themes for them Sad

2) Can I adjust color schemes for other looks like "lipstik"?

3) Please tell me too if I can "add" the jtattoo look into JEdit - because I cannot figure how to do that Sad

Thank you very very much Smiling
comments out of the text
Submitted by jrobinss on Wednesday, 9 December, 2009 - 16:41
Hi all,

I'm fairly new to jEdit. I'm using it to experiment with edition in a general way, because I'm familiar with Java and because it is open-source with lots of plug-ins. I've just developped a basic plug-in and started browsing the existing ones.

I would like to use comments (or annotations) like there are in Word: not in the document, but about the document, displayed in a hover or dockable view. Apart from MS products (Word, XL) I don't really know any other editor that does this. I think maybe some PDF viewers do, or ebooks.

(caution: "comment" and "annotation" are not used here in the Java meaning)

Is there any plug-in that may do this?
Is there any plug-in that looks like going that way?

The only plug-in I found that looked vaguely interesting was TaskList which looks interesting because it shows extracted text in a dockable view. But none that addresses my particular issue.

Any help appreciated!
(otherwise this could become a feature request, but I'm not sure, I'm only experimenting here)
JR
PDF viewer
Submitted by jrobinss on Wednesday, 9 December, 2009 - 16:44
Hi all,

alongside my comments request, I'm also trying to open HTML or PDF files in jEdit, especially PDF.

I found LilyPondTool that opens PDF in a pop-up, but I couldn't just find a simple PDF plug-in... is there one?

For HTML, the aim would be to open and eventually annotate HTML files in wysiwyg GUI (not seeing the HTML code). Would there be any advice for this?

JR
Whole project autocomplete?
Submitted by SrGris on Wednesday, 9 December, 2009 - 21:45
Hi,

Its posible to have autocompletion for a whole project (not only opened buffers) via jedit plugins?

I am coding in PHP.

Thanks
Goal column macros (jedit-goal-column-1.0.zip v1.0 by Andreas Nolda)
Submitted by nolda on Friday, 11 December, 2009 - 16:27

This macro bundle is inspired by Emacs’ set-goal-column function.

Installation instructions:

1. Unzip the archive in your JEdit settings directory.
  2. Optionally, set shortcuts for Set Goal Column, Go to Goal Column of Next Line, Go to Goal Column of Prev Line, and Go to Goal Column of Current Line.

Usage:

• Running Set Goal Column sets the goal column to the current column. (The default goal column is column 1.)
  • Running Go to Goal Column of Next Line, Go to Goal Column of Prev Line, or Go to Goal Column of Current Line moves the caret to the goal column of the next, previous, or current line, respectively, regardless of the caret position in the current line.
Look and Feel Plugin 1.4.0 (LookAndFeel.jar v1.4.0 by Dale Anson)
Submitted by daleanson on Sunday, 13 December, 2009 - 22:28
Update to Look and Feel plugin to include the Substance look and feel. This upload only contains the updated Look and Feel plugin jar itself. You'll need to download the Substance look and feel jar from https://substance.dev.java.net/files/documents/3294/135954/substance.jar. To install this update: 1. Download the file and replace your existing LookAndFeel.jar, which should be in $USERHOME/.jedit/jars. If you don't have an existing LookAndFeel.jar, install the Look and Feel plugin from the Plugin Manager first. 2. Copy the substance.jar to the same directory as your LookAndFeel.jar 3. Restart jEdit. This plugin now requires Java 1.6.
Using bitmapped fonts.
Submitted by chuckf on Monday, 14 December, 2009 - 23:05
How can I use a bitmapped font with jedit?
Thanks,
chuckf
Commercial use of jEdit HelpViewer
Submitted by weberjn on Thursday, 17 December, 2009 - 13:31
Hi,

jEdit and it's modules are under GPL.

Would the copyright owners of jEdit HelpViewer dual license it under Apache license, too or would they offer a commercial license?

Thanks,
Juergen
ErrorList 1.8 fixed (ErrorList.jar v1.8 by Shlomy Reinstein)
Submitted by shlomy on Saturday, 19 December, 2009 - 19:51
This version fixes an NPE in version 1.8, from ErrorListPlugin.java:400.
Recording Macros not recording all keys (4.3)
Submitted by yakumo9275 on Wednesday, 23 December, 2009 - 19:38
I upgraded to the new release of 4.3, doing a temporary macro it does not register END/HOME in the macro.

eg:

abcdef

press home, type 111 pres end type 222. screen shows "111abcdef222"

macro shows only

textArea.setSelectedText("111222");

I had to get around this by binding a key to go to end of line/start of line.

I did not test what other keystrokes it was ignoring.
Sidekick not working
Submitted by powery on Tuesday, 29 December, 2009 - 12:59
Parsing using Sidekick or CtagsSideKick plugin is not possible with new version of jEdit:
jEdit 4.3 final
java 1.6.0_13
SideKick 0.8
CtagsSideKick 1.4

jEdit 4.3pre18 was ok

Same problem?
Multiple instances/views
Submitted by painted on Thursday, 31 December, 2009 - 17:51
Hello,

I need to be able to use multiple instances of jedit to work on completely separate projects. I was getting by well enough doing View menu/New View and then closing all the open files in the buffer of the new view and setting up the File Browser as I need it. However since the last update if I open a new view, and open or close files into that view's buffer, the files also open/close in the previous buffer, so basically both views are identical which doesn't help for working on two separate projects.

Is there any way to open completely separate instances, or at least get the old view behavior back?

Thanks!
Beginner's problems in setting up localhost preview
Submitted by d_l on Sunday, 3 January, 2010 - 17:43
Beginner's problems:-

I have installed JEdit to experiment as a cross-platform editor for both *.php and *.lzx (XML format with *.dtd validation).

My OS is Windows Vista.

I guess that I need to setup several projects to test code on different localhost servers:

apache httpd on port 8080
apache tomcat on port 8090
caucho resin on port 8100

Installed plugins ..

PHP Parser
Project Viewer
SQL
XML

But I cannot get started with even the basics of setting JEdit to launch phpinfo.php in localhost mode. http://localhost:8080/test/phpinfo.php (this URL runs o.k. when manually pasted into any browser. I can also preview this same simple test file in editors other than Jedit.

The phpinfo.php test file is located in:

C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2\htdocs\test\phpinfo.php

I created a simple test project "phpinfo" and in Project options I have

Project name: phpinfo

Root Directory: C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2\htdocs (note: excluded the \test\ folder)

Web root URL: http://localhost:8080/

But I cannot preview this phpinfo.php from Jedit to browser !

When I right click phpinfo.php in project phpinfo in Project Viewer and select "Preview in browser" I get a popup error message:-

Cannot run program "mozilla": CreateProcess error=2, The system cannot find the file specified. Please fix your external app configuration.

I have no external application associated with extension *.php.

Options: Plugins: Info Viewer: Choose Browser

external browser radio button selected.

but the command below reads ..

netscape -remote openURL($u) -raise

How do I set up an association with preview browser firefox.exe?

and how do I setup to switch preview between several different browsers?

firefox
Internet Explorer
Opera
etc.

Options: Plugins: Project Viewer: External Applications

what application(s) should I associate here with *.php (and other extensions)?

php.exe or php-win.exe or php-cgi.exe or firefox.exe .. or others?

If I associate *.php with another text editor that launches from Project Viewer.

Finally .. unrelated glitch. If I force shut down of JEdit using the [X] close top right toolbar button (which I should not use, I know) I see a very long (not wrapped) indecipherable error message in Jedit popup window ..

with separate Windows popup error message reading ..

"The color scheme has been changed to Windows Vista basic. A running program isn't compatible with certain visual elements of Windows".

This apparent incompatibility with Vista does not occur if I use the correct shutdown JEdit procedure of File > Exit. Not serious .. just annoying.
User login
Browse archives
« November 2009 »
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   99587