jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Archives
dialog box ignores width setting
Submitted by masher on Thursday, 21 May, 2009 - 03:55
I'm using 4.2final

When doing File|Open or File|Save As, the resultant dialog box is very narrow horizontally.

If I type "jEdit.getProperty("vfs.browser.dialog.width")" into the BeanShell, I get a value of 112 (on startup - as indicated in the properties file). If I manually resize the window (by dragging its edge), and check
on the window width, I'll get a value in the range of 600-700 (depending on how I resize it). I can also set the width by jEdit.setProperty("vfs.browser.dialog.width", "650"). If I check the width by jEdit.getProperty("vfs.browser.dialog.width"), the width is reported as I have set it.

If I then try and open (or save) another file, the dialog box opens as a narrow box, and the width reverts back to 112.

I can manually set the height by either dragging the window or using jEdit.setProperty and it is remembered.
I can manually set the x position by using jEdit.setProperty and it is remembered. If I drag it, it isn't remembered.
If I try to set a y value, jEdit forgets it.

I have tried exiting jEdit and editing the properties files to change the vfs.browser.dialog.width to a larger number. If I edit it, and then check on the value (jEdit.getProperty) before opening any dialog boxes, the value is reported as I have set it. After I try to open a file, the dialog box opens up as narrow, and the dialog box width is now reported as 112.

Any ideas?
Putting my own icons in the Tool Bar?
Submitted by Cheshirewhiskers on Friday, 22 May, 2009 - 01:02
Hi, I'm having trouble putting my own icons into the the Tool Bar... I assume that they have to be 22 by 22 pixels large & either png's or giff's but every time I try to load one, jEdit just freezes. Do the images I'm trying to load have to be in a certain folder or sub directory or something? I'm running jEdit on a mac G4 under OS X 10.4.11
Any help would be appreciated.
May with JEdit download/edit/upload remote webpage files ?
Submitted by lse123 on Sunday, 24 May, 2009 - 20:56
May with JEdit download/edit/upload remote webpage files ? If yes, I may see and remote hosting folder/file structure ? How many MBs takes on HDD the JEdit ?
maya plugin loading error.
Submitted by Sorath on Wednesday, 27 May, 2009 - 00:52
hey ppls.

i downloaded the maya plugin from highend - link: http://www.highend3d.com/maya/downloads/tools/syntax_scripting/jEdit-Maya-Editor-Plugin-3732.html

after following the installation rules as described in the tutorial: http://www.highend3d.com/maya/tutorials/using_tools_scripts/319-1.html
i got the following error: (image link): http://www.resurrexion.org/images/jedit_mayaerror.jpg

does anyone know if that could be a compatibility error with the jedit version, any ideas?

thanks in advance
i'd love to get this working, as the internal script editor from maya is totally crap.

cheers
Bastian
contextmenu on mac?
Submitted by TheGhost on Wednesday, 27 May, 2009 - 05:54
Hello,
how can I add jedit to the context menu on a Mac to open several file types (html, txt, dat, ...)?
Thanks
Dominik
Downloading latest nightly version?
Submitted by mtgavin on Wednesday, 27 May, 2009 - 18:22
Not sure if this is the correct forum, but it seems as good as any.

There are some bugs in 4.3pre16 that have been fixed since that release. However it seems difficult to download these latest versions- seems like you need to actually compile the source code yourself. (Download and install ant, etc). Frankly I am surprised this is not automated somehow; I had expected the various platform versions would be completely built every night, but apparently they are not.

So is there a way I could just get the latest java.jar for linux (i.e. last night's build) without having to go through a lot of effort with compiling jedit/ant/etc?

Thanks -

Matt
Templates
Submitted by vhenry on Wednesday, 27 May, 2009 - 18:45
Moving from Dreamweaver, I'm used to being able to create a basic template (usually with header, nav, footer info) and use that to create my other pages, that way, if I need to change something in the navigation for instance, I update the template and it instantly replicates to all other pages in site. Is there such a feature in jedit? I have to imagine there is and I just haven't found it yet.
Append text to end of lines
Submitted by proee on Wednesday, 27 May, 2009 - 22:36
I'm wondering if there's an easy way to do a "block" select across multiple and be able to append text at the end of each line. I usually do this using a rectangular selection, but the rectangular selection is rigid and I would like to find a way to append to the end of the line in it's natural position.

That is, I'm looking for a rectangular selection that can "find" the end of the line as I drag the across multiple lines. I believe this is something that textmate does so I'm sure it's possible...
Is there some jedit plugin - that provides JAVA cross reference functionality in last Jedit versions???
Submitted by psimonovsk on Monday, 1 June, 2009 - 07:03
I am looking for something - that will give me functionality like xemacs xref or definitions/calls in eclipse - that means, something that will jump to method/variable/class definition/references...
Java highlighting update for Java 5 (generics)
Submitted by moreblue on Wednesday, 3 June, 2009 - 14:26
Hi, I'm programming in Java and I really love the highlighting of Java. However, in Java 5 a new feature has been added to the language: generics. For those who don't know (from http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/language/generics.html): Generics provides a way for you to communicate the type of a collection to the compiler, so that it can be checked. Once the compiler knows the element type of the collection, the compiler can check that you have used the collection consistently and can insert the correct casts on values being taken out of the collection. This is placed between '<' and '>'. It would be nice if the generics would be highlighted. As I'm not an expert, I did not succeed in correctly editting the current highlight specification of Java in jEdit; if I do, expression with a '<' inside will start hightling the remaining part.
matching preprocessor
Submitted by DSPWANG on Tuesday, 9 June, 2009 - 17:26
Hello,

is there a way to match C/C++ preprocessor directives, such as matching from #if to #endif, and match #elif or #else in between. Similar to the functionality in Vim using the "%" (percent) key; and possibly with the extended functionality of "matchit" plug-in in Vim.

thanks in advance.

DW
File association issue
Submitted by ddmoore on Wednesday, 10 June, 2009 - 19:38
I'm a new user of jEdit 4.3. After installing jEdit, I found that I can no longer use links for Microsoft Live Meeting. The link is to a file called launch[1].rtc. When I click on a LiveMeeting link, jEdit opens up with the XML for connecting to the meeting rather than LiveMeeting opening up. This behavior suggests that there is a problem with file associations. However, when I check the file associations the .rtc files are associated to LiveMeeting in the registry as well as "File Types" under Folder Options. Uninstalling jEdit resolves the issue. Before permanently uinstalling jEdit and looking for another editor, I thought I would see if anyone has stumbled upon this issue or perhaps knows if jEdit has it's own set of file associations.
getting a spell-checker plugin to work
Submitted by jwight on Saturday, 13 June, 2009 - 19:26
I just installed jEdit. Then I installed SpellCheck. Then I reinstalled Aspell.
Whem I tried to reinstalled jEdit in Aspell/bin and TmpInstall Aspell, I got a
I/O error.spell-checker plugin

SpellCheck is an jEdit plugin to perform spell checking of text in a jEdit
buffer. You will need to install Aspell (http://aspell.sf.net/) before using
this plugin. Aspell is available for Windows and a variety of UNIX platforms.

I have windowsXP Home SP3.

I can't use commands or scripts because of stroke but if someone explanes
carefully.....

I had a few problems getting a spell-checker plugin to work correctly with
Notepadd++ After several attempts and in this order, it worked!

1: Install GNU Full Installer "Aspell-0-50-3-3-Setup" to default location:
C:\Program Files\Aspell
2: Install "Aspell-en-0.50-2-3" (English dictionary)
3: Install Notepad++ "npp.5.4.1.Installer" to “C:\Program Files\Aspell\bin”
4: Launch Notepad++

I no longer use Notepadd++.

Looks like I have to remove jEdit. them put jedit42install to “C:\Program Files
\Aspell\bin”. then Launch jEdit then use jEdit Plugins to Plugin manager to
run SpellCheck.

Right?
Having trouble with whitespace plugin
Submitted by raklet on Sunday, 14 June, 2009 - 20:23
Using jedit 4.3pre16 and java 1.6.0_13 on linux.

When I first installed the whitespace plugin, it wouldn't show any whitespace characters at all. I munged these forums and online until I finally figured out that I needed to install Sun's JDK. After I installed it and restarted jedit, all was well. After a couple weeks of use, I just noticed that whitespace is not showing up again. I don't know exactly when it went away because I wasn't looking for it.

I don't mind figuring out where it went wrong, but I'm not even sure where to look. If someone could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Needed JSON Formatter Plugin
Submitted by bigjim on Tuesday, 16 June, 2009 - 18:39
Does anyone have or is anyone working on plugin for formatting JSON data similar to the XML Indenter plugin? With JSON becoming a popular protocal for those developing rich web applications it would be real useful to be able to take a long JSON string intended for computer processing and format it in a way a human could read it.

Thanks,
Jim
FastOpen Problems
Submitted by raklet on Wednesday, 17 June, 2009 - 13:36
Using jEdit 4.3pre16
7:19:10 AM [main] [message] Log: When reporting bugs, please include the following information:
7:19:10 AM [main] [message] Log: java.version=1.6.0_13
7:19:10 AM [main] [message] Log: java.vm.version=11.3-b02
7:19:10 AM [main] [message] Log: java.runtime.version=1.6.0_13-b03
7:19:10 AM [main] [message] Log: java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
7:19:10 AM [main] [message] Log: java.compiler=null
7:19:10 AM [main] [message] Log: os.name=Linux
7:19:10 AM [main] [message] Log: os.version=2.6.28-11-generic
7:19:10 AM [main] [message] Log: os.arch=i386
7:19:10 AM [main] [message] Log: user.home=/home/raklet
7:19:10 AM [main] [message] Log: java.home=/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.13/jre
7:19:10 AM [main] [message] Log: java.class.path=/usr/share/jedit/jedit.jar

Fast open is not behaving properly. First, it does not find all of the files in my project. I have indexing set to 5 seconds and will even click on reindex to make sure it is up to date. I have hundreds of files located in dozens of directories. Here is a subset of some of my files as an example.

Directory - Sources
Files:
Subs-Auth.php
Subs-Boards.php
Subs-Charset.php
Subs-Graphics.php
Subs-Members.php
Subs-Post.php
Subs.php

That is just a small sample of numerous files. In fast open, I type the letters "su" because I am looking for Subs.php. Fast open only returns one result - Subs-Post.php. It misbehaves in this way with every other file search. It will only return few or no results out of many possible. Providing a complete file name usually ends up with no match at all.

There are some errors in the activity log generated by Fast Open.

7:19:15 AM [Thread-2] [error] Thread-2: at com.patelsoft.fastopen.FastOpen.getFilePattern(FastOpen.java:583)
7:19:15 AM [Thread-2] [error] Thread-2: at com.patelsoft.fastopen.FastOpen.findfile(FastOpen.java:467)
7:19:15 AM [Thread-2] [error] Thread-2: at com.patelsoft.fastopen.FastOpen.indexingCompleted(FastOpen.java:1028)
7:19:15 AM [Thread-2] [error] Thread-2: at com.patelsoft.fastopen.AbstractIndexManager.notifyListeners(AbstractIndexManager.java:98)
7:19:15 AM [Thread-2] [error] Thread-2: at com.patelsoft.fastopen.AbstractIndexManager.queryFilesFromSource(AbstractIndexManager.java:61)
7:19:15 AM [Thread-2] [error] Thread-2: at com.patelsoft.fastopen.PollingIndexManager.collectFiles(PollingIndexManager.java:60)
7:19:15 AM [Thread-2] [error] Thread-2: at com.patelsoft.fastopen.PollingIndexManager.run(PollingIndexManager.java:41)
Mac OS X & Fonts
Submitted by warhammerkid on Wednesday, 17 June, 2009 - 15:12
I just thought I'd let people know who are using Mac OS X that the latest Java update from Apple fixes all the old font problems. In addition, it introduces some interesting changes to anti-aliasing.

(Problems were things like the cursor not showing up in the right place if you weren't using the default fonts)
Php code folding.
Submitted by mat_r on Thursday, 18 June, 2009 - 11:33
Hi,

I'm trying to set up code folding using the ConfigurableFoldHandler. I've got it working well folding code between { and } however I would also really like to get it working around comment delineators /* and */ . To do this I have been trying to cobble together a regular expression but without much luck. If anyone has any suggestions of how best to achieve this I would be most grateful.

Thanks,

Matt.
Change gutter line numbering interval
Submitted by kircheis on Friday, 19 June, 2009 - 16:24
Is it possible to change the gutter numbering interval (without folds)? For example, instead of

Show every 10 numbers

That would make it easier to follow Cobol code when I have it on jEdit and on the Mainframe terminal screen.
jEdit launcher, Mac OS/X, Java 1.5.0_19
Submitted by k.kelln on Monday, 22 June, 2009 - 19:29
I just upgraded my Macbook (OS/X 10.5.7) to Java 1.5.0_19 and my jEdit launcher stopped working. This happens everytime I update Java or Mac OS/X versions. I can fire off the jar version, but the normal launcher crashes and burns. Of course, with the jar version I lose the Mac specific interface. Ideas?
User login
Browse archives
« May 2009 »
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   96033