jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
-settings flag re-definition
Submitted by Anonymous on Friday, 28 May, 2004 - 04:24
hiya,

I use jEdit everyday for school homework (.txt files), and also school programming assignments (.java, .c, .h, .html, .sh ...the list goes on...) as I am a CSC major.

I solely use jEdit off of my Creative Muvo flash drive under Linux and MS boxes at school and at home. While under MS boxes I run jEdit from a custom batch file I have written that sets up Doskeys to various Java applications stored on the flash stick and sets up drive paths and parameters for say the command "jedit" to be invoked as follows from any computer with my custom (windows) enviroment variable "MPATH" giving the path of the device (eg "g:"):

I invoke jedit typically with the following doskey (or command in shell):
set MPATH=g:
set JDIR=%MPATH%\files\japps
rem set the plastic l&f in the Java VM boot path.
set PLF=-Xbootclasspath/a:%JDIR%\jedit\jars\plastic-1.2.1.jar
set CNFG=-settings=%JDIR%\jedit\settings
set NSS=-nostartupscripts
set SOPTS=-Xms8m -Xmx16m
set LOPTS=-Xms8m -Xmx64m
doskey jedit = java %PLF% %LOPTS% -jar %JDIR%\jedit\jedit.jar %CNFG%

...I have alot of Java applications configured the way I want them to look, and with various runtime parameters enabled to suit my liking...

I hope that the command line option for specifying a different settings directory for jEdit could be modified as it is (I believe) incompatible with MS Win9x (and WinME). "-settings=" is not allowed in a batch file (pretty sure) or command line parameter under win9x because of the "=". A specific example is I cannot legally put the line: set CNFG=-settings=%JDIR%\jedit\settings, into a win9x batch file due to the double usage of "=".

Can this command line specification be changed to reflect more usual conventions used in Java application arguements? eg. java -classpath , or perhaps even jedit.jar -settings:

Under jEdit "Compatability" page, it should work under windows, but obvisiously this is not necessarily 100% true. I hope my bringing this issue up helps bring jEdit one step closer to be an even better application.......and yes, while also making my life easier.

David Gurba, email: blue_technx@yahoo.com
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82349