jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
jEdit 4.2final on Mac OS X behaves strange
Submitted by kimjim on Sunday, 29 August, 2004 - 12:14
The 4.2 installation does not contain a starter application "jEdit.app" as it used to be on jEdit installations on Mac OS. If I double-click the jEdit.jar, the splash screen says it is vers 4.2 final, but I get an error message saying the MacOS.jar Plugin didn't work and I should update it.

When I copy the old "jEdit.app" from an 4.2pre15 installation into my jEdit 4.2 folder and double click, the splash screens says it were jEdit vers 4.2pre 15, also I have deleted my 4.2pre15 installation! But the MacOS.jar plugin now works.

What version does this jEdit.app really start now? I mean, I deleted 4.2pre15! And the infostring in the info.plist of jEdit.app says its 4.2final, also I took it from the 4.2pre15 package! This really confuses me. Is there another way to find out which version is runnig despite looking at the splash screen or see the "About jEdit" menu entry?

Thanks for any help, kimjim
Comment viewing options
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click 'Save settings' to activate your changes.
this solution works for me:
by Ponder on Tue, 02/11/2004 - 18:30
i have removed all the plugins from ./jEdit/jars/ (i put them in a sub folder called temp) and now the error is gone: no warning, cmd+, activates prefs and the plugin manager can get a list of available plugins...

--------------------------------------------------
i just posted that finding to the top... the rest of the message is background .... hope it helps, i'll figure out which plugin is the problem when i have time... the most recent installed before the error were: docker, xsearch, xinsert, gruntspud..

i wonder if one of the plugins is missing a localization file or some such to do with the language (i am running with region: australia, lang: en, kb: aus, on OSX10.3.5)

I have installed jedit tonight, and installed a heap of plugins...

everything was working fine until i started editing the catalog file in .jedit/modes/ to add css and html syntax highlighting (i've been using tinkertool to show hidden files in the finder so i could copy files into the hidden dir)

now i get the message:

/Applications/jEdit 4.2/jars/MacOS.jar:
Cannot start:
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:com.apple.eawt.Application.addApplicationListener(Lcom/apple/eawt/ApplicationListener;)V
Try updating to a newer version of the plugin.

the immediate effect is that the preferences window has moved to Utilities>Global Options... and the plugin manager install or update reports that it has recieved an 'e' instead of '<', so the file listing is unavailable...

I've tried overwriting the MacOS.jar file with a fresh copy from the install dmg, but no cigar.

good luck!! thanks for a great editor! i was despairing of finding something i could work with on mac!! peace, Ponder
yep i get this too...
by Anonymous on Sun, 29/08/2004 - 19:39
i get this too Sad

Me Too
by Anonymous on Wed, 08/09/2004 - 13:06
I get the same issue. I deleted all my previous JEdit files, reinstalled, and still get this.

-- Stan Shinn
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348