jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Mode System: Allow regexes in indent*Brackets property
Submitted by Anonymous on Tuesday, 27 January, 2004 - 20:08
Some languages don't use the typical squiglly brackets "{" to demarcate chunks of code. Nor do they use any brackets at all. With these languages it would be nice if the indentOpenBrackets and indentCloseBrackets properties would accept regexes as values just like the indentNextLine property does.

Now I could be mistaken and you *can* use regexes with the bracket properties. The fact that I couldn't get it to work doesn't mean much, but I don't think so. I see a few modes where people have tried and then commented out those tags. So, please consider this feature for a future jEdit release.
Comment viewing options
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click 'Save settings' to activate your changes.
Big YES PLEASE
by Anonymous on Tue, 29/06/2004 - 11:57
I was about to ask for the same feature, and wondered even why it wasn't there to begin with. The two main languages I program in (Fortran and Ruby) don't use brackets (or only brackets for Ruby) for code blocks, and although I can get indenting to work OK with indentNextLines, I can't get "end" to jump back to the previous indentation level. This can get a bit silly since in Ruby { ... } and do ... end have exactly the same semantics, but I can't get the Ruby mode to make them behave the same.

Although allowing regexes in indent*Brackets would be great, you could achieve the same by adding a property "jumpBack" (or some meaningful name) which together with indentNextLines would work as a pair, just like the indent*Brackets properties do. This proposal would fit if someone has some reason not to change the behaviour of the indent*Brackets properties.

It would be *very* great if this feature was accepted, as it is the *very only* thing I lack in jEdit. If it gets adopted, jEdit will have become, as far as I am concerned, the *perfect* editor Smiling .

Thanks in advance!

Christophe Grandsire (anonymous only because I haven't created an account yet).
yes please...
by Anonymous on Fri, 05/03/2004 - 09:05
ruby has blocks such as:
begin
  code
  code
end
I've been trying to get this to indent properly, with no luck yet.

Any idea if there are any pla
by Anonymous on Wed, 29/09/2004 - 19:31
Any idea if there are any plans for implementing this in the near future? I use Ruby daily, and my only complaint is the indenting problem. As another user said, get this working, and it would be the *perfect* editor for me.

Slava has said that over-haul
by Anonymous on Wed, 29/09/2004 - 22:58
Slava has said that over-hauling the auto-indent behavior is on his list for 4.3 -- which he hopes to get out much more quickly than it took to go from 4.1 to 4.2.
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82347