jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Install from source
Submitted by tkuneck on Saturday, 27 August, 2005 - 03:31
The source package compiles quite nicely with a copy of apache ant and sun jdk 1.5 that I compiled myself. The documents also compile fine.

I'm running a linux system (LFS if your curious).
When I try to run jedit as the user that I used to compile the sources, jedit runs without errors. However, I get a bunch of permission errors when I run as another user as a result of attempting to read the document files, and then jedit comes up without a tip of the day, all the documentation does not work, general chaos ensues.

SO... can I build the installer so that I can install the minimal files elsewhere?!? What files are required at a minimum for installation?

----
this is the output as a different user.
java -jar /usr/src/jedit/jEdit/jedit.jar

[error] jEdit: java.io.FileNotFoundException: /usr/src/jedit/jEdit/modes/catalog (Permission denied)
[error] jEdit: at java.io.FileInputStream.open(Native Method)
[error] jEdit: at java.io.FileInputStream.(FileInputStream.java:106)
[error] jEdit: at java.io.FileInputStream.(FileInputStream.java:66)
[error] jEdit: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit.loadModeCatalog(jEdit.java:3823)
[error] jEdit: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit.reloadModes(jEdit.java:1246)
[error] jEdit: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit.main(jEdit.java:409)
[error] BeanShell: java.io.FileNotFoundException: /usr/src/jedit/jEdit/startup/startup.bsh (Permission denied)
[error] BeanShell: at java.io.FileInputStream.open(Native Method)
[error] BeanShell: at java.io.FileInputStream.(FileInputStream.java:106)
[error] BeanShell: at java.io.FileInputStream.(FileInputStream.java:66)
[error] BeanShell: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.io.FileVFS._createInputStream(FileVFS.java:372)
[error] BeanShell: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.BeanShell._runScript(BeanShell.java:344)
[error] BeanShell: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.BeanShell._runScript(BeanShell.java:284)
[error] BeanShell: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.BeanShell.runScript(BeanShell.java:210)
[error] BeanShell: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.Macros$BeanShellHandler.runMacro(Macros.java:996)
[error] BeanShell: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit.runStartupScripts(jEdit.java:3323)
[error] BeanShell: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit.main(jEdit.java:451)
[error] ErrorListDialog$ErrorEntry: /usr/src/jedit/jEdit/startup/startup.bsh:
[error] ErrorListDialog$ErrorEntry: Cannot load: java.io.FileNotFoundException: /usr/src/jedit/jEdit/startup/startup.bsh (Permission denied)
[error] TipOfTheDay: java.io.FileNotFoundException: /usr/src/jedit/jEdit/doc/tips/tip44.html (Permission denied)
[error] TipOfTheDay: at java.io.FileInputStream.open(Native Method)
[error] TipOfTheDay: at java.io.FileInputStream.(FileInputStream.java:106)
[error] TipOfTheDay: at java.io.FileInputStream.(FileInputStream.java:66)
[error] TipOfTheDay: at sun.net.www.protocol.file.FileURLConnection.connect(FileURLConnection.java:70)
[error] TipOfTheDay: at sun.net.www.protocol.file.FileURLConnection.getInputStream(FileURLConnection.java:161)
[error] TipOfTheDay: at javax.swing.JEditorPane.getStream(JEditorPane.java:719)
[error] TipOfTheDay: at javax.swing.JEditorPane.setPage(JEditorPane.java:406)
[error] TipOfTheDay: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.gui.TipOfTheDay.nextTip(TipOfTheDay.java:139)
[error] TipOfTheDay: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.gui.TipOfTheDay.(TipOfTheDay.java:56)
[error] TipOfTheDay: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit.newView(jEdit.java:2200)
[error] TipOfTheDay: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.PerspectiveManager$PerspectiveHandler.endElement(PerspectiveManager.java:344)
[error] TipOfTheDay: at com.microstar.xml.XmlParser.parseETag(XmlParser.java:1041)
[error] TipOfTheDay: at com.microstar.xml.XmlParser.parseContent(XmlParser.java:1112)
[error] TipOfTheDay: at com.microstar.xml.XmlParser.parseElement(XmlParser.java:947)
[error] TipOfTheDay: at com.microstar.xml.XmlParser.parseContent(XmlParser.java:1118)
[error] TipOfTheDay: at com.microstar.xml.XmlParser.parseElement(XmlParser.java:947)
[error] TipOfTheDay: at com.microstar.xml.XmlParser.parseDocument(XmlParser.java:496)
[error] TipOfTheDay: at com.microstar.xml.XmlParser.doParse(XmlParser.java:176)
[error] TipOfTheDay: at com.microstar.xml.XmlParser.parse(XmlParser.java:146)
[error] TipOfTheDay: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.PerspectiveManager.loadPerspective(PerspectiveManager.java:81)
[error] TipOfTheDay: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit$5.run(jEdit.java:3450)
[error] TipOfTheDay: at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:209)
[error] TipOfTheDay: at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:461)
[error] TipOfTheDay: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:234)
[error] TipOfTheDay: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:163)
[error] TipOfTheDay: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:157)
[error] TipOfTheDay: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:149)
[error] TipOfTheDay: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:110)
[error] WorkThread: Exception in AWT thread:
[error] WorkThread: java.lang.NullPointerException: Mode must be non-null
[error] WorkThread: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.Buffer.setMode(Buffer.java:2016)
[error] WorkThread: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.Buffer.setMode(Buffer.java:2066)
[error] WorkThread: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.Buffer.finishLoading(Buffer.java:3920)
[error] WorkThread: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.Buffer.access$800(Buffer.java:71)
[error] WorkThread: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.Buffer$1.run(Buffer.java:280)
[error] WorkThread: at org.gjt.sp.util.WorkThreadPool.doAWTRequest(WorkThreadPool.java:392)
[error] WorkThread: at org.gjt.sp.util.WorkThreadPool.doAWTRequests(WorkThreadPool.java:380)
[error] WorkThread: at org.gjt.sp.util.WorkThreadPool.access$200(WorkThreadPool.java:37)
[error] WorkThread: at org.gjt.sp.util.WorkThreadPool$RunRequestsInAWTThread.run(WorkThreadPool.java:477)
[error] WorkThread: at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:209)
[error] WorkThread: at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:461)
[error] WorkThread: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:234)
[error] WorkThread: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:163)
[error] WorkThread: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:157)
[error] WorkThread: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:149)
[error] WorkThread: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:110)
Comment viewing options
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click 'Save settings' to activate your changes.
Dunno if it helps, I didn't r
by Vampire on Sat, 27/08/2005 - 14:50
Dunno if it helps, I didn't read the article yet, but maybe you find what you need in http://community.jedit.org/?q=node/view/280

Partial Solution
by tkuneck on Sun, 28/08/2005 - 23:52
Vampire, thanks for the reply, that pushed me in the right direction definitely...

The file that I needed to update was the build.properties file. It stores the paths to the xml/docbook packages that are needed to build the html documentation.

I'm still left wondering what I need to do to package jedit... after I build the documentation, and then run the `ant dist` I still get no change in the jedit.jar. So I must be missing something... I have a jedit.jar that is 3149083 bites. Not sure what I need to do to add the documents to the jar.
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348