jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Mouse right-click behavior
Submitted by mabra on Wednesday, 5 July, 2006 - 22:22
Hi All !

Right-clicking with the mouse into the buffer unexpectedly - so far for me - also moves the caret/the current line to this position. I personally think, right-clicking the mouse should only open the context menu, nothing else.

For example, if your caret is at the end of the buffer and you scoll up to see some text to decide what do next and then open the context menu [that mentioned right click!] to insert some text etc., this would unexpectedly happen at that clicked textline, not - as I was expecting - at the end of the buffer.

What are the usual expectations here and by other users? My macros do not work very well in this scenario. It looks more as unripe behavior than planned, or I am wrong here?

Note:If there is text selected, it works well and the cursor/caret/current line stays exactly were the selection is.

Thanks a lot,
Manfred
Comment viewing options
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click 'Save settings' to activate your changes.
For me it's usual behavior
by fixedsys on Thu, 27/07/2006 - 14:03
I'm using windows and tested Excel, Word, Photoshop, Total Commander and Explorer. Every program of this first moves the caret/cursor to the clicked entry and then opens the context dialog.

For me this is absolutely expected behavior because I choose with the mouse the element I want to work with.

But: I tested the old pfe (programmer's file editor) and it works like you would expect it.

Sorry I don't have special help for you.

If you are used to Java:
In the source there is code which moves the caret to the clicked position. If are used to Java you can comment this code out and create an own compilation.

Mouse right-click:You may be right
by mabra on Fri, 28/07/2006 - 14:28
Hi !

Thanks a lot for your comment and to correct me Eye-wink

I verified your experience and you are right, I'll check my old editor [have to re-install it]. Generally, I don't worry about this, but using JEdit, I found me often in a situation, were it was messy [as described:Looking for something at buffer's top and then right-click, select "go to current line" from my context-menu].

I am not familar with Java and builds of JEdit, but - if I continue to think it has to be changed - I'll try it later.

Thanks a lot,
Manfred

Compiling
by Denyer on Fri, 28/07/2006 - 23:20
"I am not familar with Java and builds of JEdit, but - if I continue to think it has to be changed - I'll try it later."

http://virtualdebris.co.uk/weblog/?start=140

^ Might be of some small use. It's pretty easy, and I hadn't done any application programming in years. Smiling

Am hoping the reason I was compiling will be an option in 4.3 final, but haven't had time to check out the new builds. Figuring I might as well wait for a release now.

consistence expected
by Robert Schwenn on Thu, 27/07/2006 - 19:19
The programs You've mentioned really first move the caret to the clicked position before open the context menu. But they do it consequently - means: this behavior does not depend on an existing selection of text. If there is a selection and the click happens outside of it the selection is cleared.

Like Manfred described, the behavior of jedit does depend on a selection of text. I think, jedit should behave consistent like the other programs or like Manfred expects (and I would like too Smiling).

May be it were easy to control this behavior by a new checkbox in GlobalOptions->TextArea ?

Robert

Mouse right-click:Good idea!
by mabra on Fri, 28/07/2006 - 14:32
Hello Robert!

Very good idea! That's, what I would like Eye-wink

Best regards,
Manfred

Checkbox :-)
by fixedsys on Fri, 28/07/2006 - 07:04
I don't know how fast the reactions on feature requests are. And I don't know if any of the developers is reading the forums since Slava opened development.

Of course a configurable behaviour would be the best. My suggestion of commenting out code was only an idea to give fast "help".

feature request
by Robert Schwenn on Fri, 28/07/2006 - 20:46
I posted a feature request to the new tracker.

Robert
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348