jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Long Time EditPlus user feedback
Submitted by Giesen on Monday, 17 July, 2006 - 05:46
As a long time programmer, a high quality text editor is crucial to what I do. I use heaver IDE's (Visual Studio, Eclipse, NetBeans) for a lot of my work, but for various SQL, scripting languages, and file searching, and text file processing, I use a separate dedicated text editor. I've been a long time user of EditPlus and am just now switching over to jEdit.

Overall, I'm very impressed with jEdit. I thought it would be unlikely to beat EditPlus and this did it. However, I'd like to share my thoughts and suggestions.

Pros:
- Cross Platform: Huge advantage. EditPlus is Windows only. jEdit runs on all Java platforms (Windows, Linux, Mac, Solaris) so I can easily move between platforms.
- Free: I don't mind sending in a donation for a program I use so much, but it's so nice to not need to worry about licensing every copy I install
- Better Plug-in/Scripting/Macro support. By far. Excellent thus far.
- Awesome syntax highlighting for several languages (Java + SQL)

Cons:
- HyperSearch: I like EditPlus's setup much better. I wish the HyperSearch could be displayed in a pane in the main jEdit window rather than in a separate window. I also wish it displayed results as it found them rather than making you wait until the entire search is complete before showing you anything.
- Search/Replace: Regex support is buggy (didn't have time to boil down to simple cast and post, but I saw definite bugs). No multi-line Regex option. How do I replace \n\n with \n (eliminate blank lines)?
- No built-in sort/dedupe. Didn't see a plugin either. Maybe I missed this? This is crucial for a text editor.
- No "column selection". Did I miss this? Very important feature.
- No ability to set "type" of unsaved buffer. Sometimes I typing SQL into a buffer that I don't want to save, but I want syntax highlighting.
- No keyboard shortcut to enable/disable soft word-wrap. I frequently need to turn this on/off. I hate having to navigate the menus to do this.
- Name. I love Java, but this is product really excels as a general purpose text editor rather than a Java specific tool. Couldn't this use a less Java-centric name? Most .NET coworkers would love this tool but be turned off by the name.
Comment viewing options
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click 'Save settings' to activate your changes.
This wasn't supposed to go in
by Giesen on Mon, 17/07/2006 - 05:48
This wasn't supposed to go in this forum. I thought I posted in Feature Requests. I'll repost there. Admin, please delete from Troubleshooting.
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348