jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
File Associations
Submitted by SenlacHill on Tuesday, 19 September, 2006 - 03:43
Ok, I'm brand new to jEdit as of about an hour ago. I'd like to set my file associations, but cannot find the option to do that. Now, it may be staring me in the face, or maybe somewhere, perhaps obvious on this site, BUT, I can't find it... My eyeballs are getting shorter in my old age. Can someone please help me out here ??? (With the file associations that is.. lol)
Comment viewing options
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click 'Save settings' to activate your changes.
RE: File Associations
by redsv650 on Thu, 21/09/2006 - 14:05

Welcome to jEdit! It's an extremely powerful text editor that can do many customizable things. You will be richly rewarded if you take the time to learn about shortcuts, macros, beanshell scripting and plugins.

jEdit is a java app so the file associations are handled differently than normal win32 apps (I'm assuming you're using a flavor of Windows). Here are two suggestions:

OPTION 1 - use "Open with jEdit" from contextual menu
jEdit should have put an entry into the registry to support opening ANY file with jEdit. Right-mouse click on any file and you sould see an option to "Open with jEdit"

If that is not there, you can use regedit to add HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/*/Shell/Open with jEdit/command with a value that looks like:
"C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_06\bin\javaw.exe" -Xmx64m -Xmx320m -jar "C:\Program Files\jEdit 4.3pre4\jedit.jar" -reuseview "%1"

*** Make sure to change the paths for javaw.exe and jedit.jar to match your setup. ***

OPTION 2 - map file types to jEdit
  1. Open an Windows explorer window, select "Tools"/"Folder Options..." and click the "File Types" tab
  2. Locate and click on the file type you want to update
  3. Click the [Advanced] button
  4. Now you have to choose if (1) jEdit is to be the default editor or (2) you just want to use jEdit some of the time
    if (1):
    • select the "Open" Action click [Edit...] button
    • in the field labelled "Application used to perform action:", paste the same command used in OPTION 1
    • click [OK] button to close this dialog box and all its parent dialog boxes
    if (2):
    • modify existing Action (eg. "Edit with Dreamweaver") by selecting it and clicking [Edit...]. Follow steps for (1) and optionally modify the Action description
    • add Action by clicking [New...] button. Follow steps outlined in (1) and add an Action description

Good luck,

Tim

file associations
by francais31415 on Thu, 19/10/2006 - 21:36
Thank you for these clear instructions. I'm still having trouble, though. On some file types - namely, the ones I really want to change (CSS and XSL) - I have a Restore button instead of an Advanced button. How can I still make these open by default with jEdit? I'm using Windows XP and jEdit version 4.2final.

Thanks!

Give this a whirl: http://
by Denyer on Sat, 21/10/2006 - 04:38
Give this a whirl:

http://www.mbisping.de/jedit/launcher.html

Add it to your jEdit directory, and you can associate files with that instead -- don't forget to include the reuseview parameter if you want everything to be opened in the same instance of jEdit.

restore?
by Robert Schwenn on Fri, 20/10/2006 - 20:26
Because for both filetypes (css, xsl) there are "Advanced" buttons on my system, I guess the "Restore" button want to tell us that there is something wrong. So I would think You should klick it in hope the button is changing to "Advanced" - of course w/o warranty Eye-wink

Robert

got it!
by francais31415 on Tue, 24/10/2006 - 14:43
Thanks, Denyer - the launcher did the trick!

Robert, as far as the Restore button, I think I maybe tried that last week and it didn't fix anything - but I can't remember for sure.

Anyway, it works now. Thank you all for your help.
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348