jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Project(s)-wide SideKick
Submitted by shlomy on Monday, 23 October, 2006 - 13:46
The SideKick plugin currently provides a tree for the current buffer, which can be updated each time the buffer is modified or another buffer becomes the current buffer.

How about a project-wide SideKick? I normally work on an entire project, not a single buffer. I have many buffers open at the same time and I frequently switch between them (or open new ones). Nearly every single feature/bug fix I write involves several files. A project-wide SideKick could help navigate an entire project - for example, I don't need to know where a function is defined (or even type its name) in order to go to it. I can simply click it in the project-wide SideKick.

To be generally useful, a project-wide SideKick would probably need some filtering, but this in itself is an issue for another discussion. What do you think about a project-wide SideKick? The CtagsSideKick plugin, for example, could use existing (project-wide) tag files to generate much more information than it currently does.
Comment viewing options
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click 'Save settings' to activate your changes.
I am working for the buffer p
by merryhoop on Tue, 30/03/2010 - 11:32
I am working for the buffer project of cheap website hosting and wide sidekick is really helpful. I was working with another software that was bit fine. wide side sounds good and its features are too cool. Have sent information about it to dedicated server hosting and recommend them.
Hi all! Sorry for bringing
by autocart on Sun, 14/02/2010 - 06:41
Hi all!

Sorry for bringing up this old thread, but I think this idea is still hot and I did not find anything like that implemented yet.

What do you other guys think about it?
Or is it already implemented and I did just not find it?

Regards, Stephan

Project(s)-wide SideKick: Temporary Solution
by autocart on Sun, 28/02/2010 - 05:24
For right now I found this temporary solution:

With the Plugin "CtagsInterface" I can create the following user-defined (dynamic) Action (which is a SQL-select-statement):

select tags.name,tags.file_id,tags.pattern,tags.a_line,tags.a_kind,tags.a_access,tags.a_signature,tags.a_class,right(files.file,15) as a_file,files.*,map.*,origins.* from tags,files,map,origins where tags.file_id=files.id and files.id=map.file_id and map.origin_id=origins.id and origins.name='{project}'

With executing this statement all tags of the currently (in Project Viewer) selected project are displayed in a seperate (dockable) window.

Main disadvantages:

1) The summery of the individual items in the list is pretty complex and therefore it may be hard to get the desired overview. It may get a little better, if you adjust the number 15 in "tags.a_class,right(files.file,15)" according to your needs. Unfortunately I found only a static solution for the length of the path/filename string.

2) There is no way of changing the sorting of the results in case you don't like the default sorting. (Well, I guess you could adapt the SQL-statement, but in the results-window there is no option.) In the version I got installed the Plugin at least allows to filter according line-numbers and file-names (depending on the tags-content in the DB). That's not really sorting but at least it's better than nothing.
User login
Browse archives
« August 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   95101