jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Java process using 50% CPU
Submitted by fabrizim on Monday, 23 October, 2006 - 17:15
Hi all-

First off, jEdit is the best text editor around, hands down. I've used it for several years now and it beats the pants off commercial editors. Anyway, on to my issue.

I just installed the 4.3pre7 on a new machine along with JDK 1.5.0_09, and jEdit's java process is using 50% of my proccessor (according to Task Manager). The problem does not occur with the stable 4.2 build. However, The syntax highlighting and many plugins are much better with the 4.3 version, so I'd rather not use 4.2. This issue does not occur on any of my other PC's.

The computer in question is running Win XP SP 2, on a Dell Dimension E520 w/ an Intel Core 2 Duo proccessor.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Regards-
Mark
Comment viewing options
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click 'Save settings' to activate your changes.
4.3pre9 seems to do the trick
by fabrizim on Mon, 22/01/2007 - 20:35
Hi all-

Thanks for your input - just wanted to followup. I installed 4.3pre9 with the windows .msi and now the behaviour is normal Smiling Hopefully this will solve others having similar problems.

Regards-
Mark

Just kidding...
by fabrizim on Tue, 23/01/2007 - 13:12
Sorry - I had tested while remote desktopped... in any case, i think i may have found the culprit for my (and possibly others) memory woes. it seems to be a problem with an unnecessary nvidea driver being loaded. If you see tons of memory being used, try using sysinternals process explorer. I found the javaw process and right-clicked on it, then went to the threads tab. I found nvoglnt.dll using 50% of the cpu, while the javaw process wasn't using anything. I killed the nvoglnt.dll thread, which solved the memory problem, and jedit still ran fine.

I did find the following bug posted at sun regarding the driver and how it loads. could be a fix for the developers.

Regards-
Mark
possible workaround
by turingtest on Wed, 17/01/2007 - 02:32
I've also been experiencing 100% CPU usage when parsing certain files in jEdit.
For me downgrading the XML plugin to verson 2.0.1 solves this issue.
You can find the older files available for download here.
There are a couple of bugs on this open on the jedit bugtracker aswell.
RE: Java process using 50% of CPU
by David Finlayson on Wed, 10/01/2007 - 23:49
I have the same problem. Actually, jEdit is using 100% of one of the cores. (Shows up as 50% in task manager)

In my case I am running JEdit 4.3pre8 on JDK 1.6.0 (windows XP). I have a Pentium D 3 Ghz CPU (dual core).

I have also tried JEdit 4.3 on jre 1.5 (win XP) and see the 100% usage problem there as well. I do not have problems on my single processor laptop (JEDIT 4.3/JDK 1.6) and don't seem to have problems on Linux (Pentium D dual core running JDK 1.5).

Anyone else see this problem? I'd love to have it fixed so that I can bump up to the newer version. It seems to be a jedit thing since non of my other java programs are showing this wierd behavor.

David

Plugin issue?
by elberry on Thu, 11/01/2007 - 05:05
Have either of you tried just a base jEdit install? I'm curious to see if maybe it's a common plugin that's causing this. I'm running jEdit (4.3pre8) on windows XP SP2 with java 1.6.0, on my dual core mac mini (Boot camp) and I don't see the jEdit process taking any processing power at all.

I'm also curious about install options, did you use the windows installer? and did you set it up to have the jEdit server start?

Sorry this doesn't help at all, but maybe it can help pinpoint the issue.

Learn from the past. Live in the present. Plan for the future.

RE: Plugin issue?
by David Finlayson on Fri, 12/01/2007 - 01:10
I tried installing jedit4.3pre8install.jar and unchecked the "default plugins" options during install. When I launched the program from the command prompt I received the following error:

E:\jEdit 4.3pre8>java -jar "e:\jEdit 4.3pre8\jedit.jar"
[error] AWT-EventQueue-0: Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0"
[error] AWT-EventQueue-0: java.lang.AbstractMethodError
[error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.textarea.TextArea.updateStructureHighlight(TextArea.java:5522)
[error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.textarea.TextArea.access$300(TextArea.java:65)
[error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.textarea.TextArea$1.actionPerformed(TextArea.java:6030)
[error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at javax.swing.Timer.fireActionPerformed(Timer.java:271)
[error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at javax.swing.Timer$DoPostEvent.run(Timer.java:201)
[error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:209)
[error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:597)
[error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:273)
[error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:183)
[error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:173)
[error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:168)
[error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:160)
[error] AWT-EventQueue-0: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:121)
[error] SideKick #1: Cannot find CatalogManager.properties

Afterwards, any action in the editor (moving mouse for instance) caused the Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" to repeat. Meanwhile the CPU went into overdrive.

Base Install
by elberry on Wed, 17/01/2007 - 17:48
Hmm, I haven't gotten that exception, but looks like a class path type issue.

What I was suggesting was to wipe out your plugins directory and then reinstall jedit using the Windows Installer (exe). Don't install any plugins then see if the cpu usage is still a problem.

If you have your plugins going to your settings directory.
You can find your settings directory by typing:
[code]
jEdit.getSettingsDirectory();
[/code]

In a buffer, then using "Utilities" -> "BeanShell" -> "Evaluate Selection".

I would then make a backup of that directory and delete it. If you reinstall jEdit now, or if you open jEdit now, you shouldn't have any plugins installed. If the CPU issue still happens then it's probably the application. If it doesn't, then it's most likely a plugin you've installed.

I was just curious if it's jEdit itself that's causing the CPU usage, or one of the plugins. Someone suggested downgrading the XML plugin, that may work, but I'm using 2.0.5 and I haven't had any issues yet.

I'll keep an eye on the processes to see if I can recreate the issue.

Learn from the past. Live in the present. Plan for the future.
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348