jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
no answer first time(s) - why don't C+c and C+v work in ubuntu as they should
Submitted by mamboze on Monday, 20 August, 2007 - 05:39
Well, the title says most of it. I have used jEdit on win xp before, great editor, now on ubuntu, still a great editor but with one irritating hassle, C+c does a cut instead of a copy and leaves 'c' behind, C+v pastes and adds a 'v'. OK, I can use C+insert and S+insert,these work OK but these are listed only as alternative shortcuts in Options/Shortcuts.

Sure, jEdit rocks but it could rock a bit better for me if these shortcuts worked as designed and specified in the relevant Options section.

I'm not sure whether this is a bug (unlikely) or that I've overlooked some switch or other. Has anybody else experienced this problem?
Comment viewing options
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click 'Save settings' to activate your changes.
I do what you're talking abou
by LDiracDelta on Sat, 29/09/2007 - 19:15
I do what you're talking about every once in a while.

The problem is that you are hitting <ctrl>+c and then lifting off the <ctrl> key before the c key. So JEdit is seeing a <ctrl>+c and then a 'c'. When you are copying, that means that jedit copies your selected text to the copy buffer or clipboard, and then jedit overwrites the selected text with the 'c'.

Same sort of thing with the <ctr>+v. Since you are lifting off of the <ctrl> key before the 'v' key, JEdit sees:
<ctrl>+v
'v'

which inserts the text from the clipboard and then insert the character 'v'.

The solution is to lift off of the 'c' or 'v' keys before lifting off the <ctrl> key.

On the other hand, you're right. It is a usability problem. JEdit should ignore the 'v' and the 'c' events when the occur *right* after a <ctrl>+c or <ctrl>+v. Unfortunately, this is open source software. I'm sure that eliminating this problem would be a rather complex edit of the code, and could introduce new bugs without proper testing. Not to mention that solving this isn't very sexy...

"So Bob, what'd you do last weekend?"

"I totally p'wned a usability bug in JEdit! It only took 16 hours and then the code barons wouldn't accept my patch because I hadn't properly tested it..."

So I think we have to live with it.

- L{DiracDelta(t)}

don't really see a problem
by taylor_venable on Wed, 17/10/2007 - 16:04
If LDiracDelta is right, then it doesn't seem like a problem to me at all. The 'c' and 'v' characters are auto-repeating, as they normally are when you type and hold them down. If you hold down CTRL-v you get repeating paste. So it makes sense that if you hit CTRL-c and continue to hold 'c' after releasing 'CTRL' it would enter a bunch of 'c' characters (because as long as you hold the 'c' down it keeps repeating, with or without the accelerator). I see the same behaviour explained by LDiracDelta in all applications. I guess to me it just makes sense that you release the repeating character before the accelerator.

Second that. What you're see
by TimMagee on Sun, 09/12/2007 - 11:13
Second that. What you're seeing might just be because the default key repeat delay is shorter on Ubuntu than you've been used to. That ought to be configurable in the desktop settings somewhere.
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348