jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Submitted by am33n on Sunday, 21 October, 2007 - 10:17
Hello guys

I downloaded jedit to use for my java programming studies! I use mac but i have no clue how to run the program!! I dont know how to compile, where to write the java code, its a bit confusing, it doesnt look like this picture http://jedit.org/index.php?page=screenshot&image=22

P.S. im just starting my "hello world" program.

thanks
Comment viewing options
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click 'Save settings' to activate your changes.
The default install of jEdit
by thebugslayer on Mon, 22/10/2007 - 13:51
The default install of jEdit doesn't comes with all the plugins that shown in the home page pictures. You would have to install it your self. What you see on the picture is result of few plugins that doing it's job. Go to plugin manager and pick the right plugin for your need.

If you are learning Java, I would recommend you to compile and run your code on a terminal and use jEdit to just edit the source. You will learn more this way, and when ready, check out more plugins from jEdit to see what can benefits you.

-Z

Totally Agree.
by elberry on Wed, 24/10/2007 - 01:19
To install the mac version, you should download the DMG, and install it like you would a normal mac application.

I totally agree with thebugslayer - you should use jEdit only to code, and you should compile and run your applications/programs using the command line. You will learn a lot more a lot faster, than if you used an IDE.

However, there are definitely some plugins I would suggest to help you along. The least of which would include the BufferTabs plugin, and the Editor Scheme plugin. The first will present your open files in tabs - making it easier to navigate between them. The second one will give you more choices in terms of what the syntax coloring looks like.

After you've installed jEdit, you can find the plugins by navigating to "Plugins" (across the top) -> "Plugin Manager". From there, click the "Install" tab and select the ones you want to install. Click the "Install" button at the bottom to install the selected plugins.

If you were asking generally about programming in Java and how to run your Hello World app, you should consult the Java tutorials:
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/java/index.html

Cheers, and happy programming.

Learn from the past. Live in the present. Plan for the future.
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348