jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
TextAutocomplete VK_TAB
Submitted by kircheis on Wednesday, 2 January, 2008 - 17:56
I was wondering if other people have any problem with VK_TAB as accept key on TextAutocomplete.
It simply doesn't work for me. I can only complete with VK_ENTER. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Not sure if it is a bug. I simply put VK_TAB but nothing happens when I try to complete. It doesn't work on default either.
Comment viewing options
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click 'Save settings' to activate your changes.
You typed VK_TAB into shortcuts option pane?
by elberry on Wed, 02/01/2008 - 21:51
I'm not quite sure what you did here. You typed VK_TAB into the shortcuts option pane?

When I put a shortcut, I only have to hit the key I want to use. So, if you want to say assign the "TAB" key to the "Show remembered words" action of the TextAutocomplete plugin, you should open the shortcuts option pane and find the shortcuts for that plugin. Then you click on "Primary shortcut" for "Show remembered words" and click in the provided text field and just hit the "tab" key.

If it's still not working, it's possible that another plugin is taking that key. Do you have the SuperAbbrevs plugin installed?

Learn from the past. Live in the present. Plan for the future.
My jEdit Blog

The shortcut setting for Text
by kircheis on Thu, 03/01/2008 - 13:33
The shortcut setting for TextAutocomplete is located at plugins options. It is the "accept with key" line. The default behaviour is to accept enter (VK_ENTER) and tab (VK_TAB).

My problem is that while enter works, pressing tab nothing happens. I'm a lot more used to complete with tab so I really would like this setting to work.

Ah. I thought you were trying
by elberry on Fri, 04/01/2008 - 17:11
Ah. I thought you were trying to have the suggestion box open on tab - which I got to work. Sorry, totally misunderstood.Smiling

I also cannot get the tab key to work as the accept key.

Looking through the TextAutocomplete code, it looks like the VK_TAB and VK_ENTER are already set up as being the accept keys by default. So you shouldn't have to specifically set this in the options pane.

My guess is that the tab key is being process by something else. Either another plugin is using it, or another jEdit feature is. I know that the SuperAbbrevs plugin uses tab to expand it's abbreviations, so if you have that plugin installed, it could be consuming the tab event before it gets to the TextAutocomplete plugin.

If you have the SuperAbbrevs plugin installed, you might try disabling it to see if that helps.

I don't think SuperAbbrevs is
by kircheis on Fri, 04/01/2008 - 18:32
I don't think SuperAbbrevs is the problem. I even disabled the standard tab function from shortcuts and tab still doesn't work.

Besides that, TextAutcomplete broke on Jedit 4.3pre12. I had to install pre11 to make it work again.

Yeah, I had to downgrade too.
by elberry on Sat, 05/01/2008 - 00:36
Yeah, I had to downgrade too. There were some pretty major changes made to jEdit's beanshell implementation that caused a lot of the plugins to break.

At this point you should probably put in a formal plugin issue here:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=588&atid=565475

Sorry couldn't be more help.

User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348