jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Menu congestion under 'Plugins'
Submitted by McSwell on Friday, 15 February, 2008 - 17:28
Having installed several plugins, the 'Plugins' menu is getting rather congested. Doing anything requires drilling down several levels--AFAICT, as an end user (as opposed to a plugin provider) I can't assign any menu items to frequently used actions in plugins, nor apparently can the plugin writers put their menu items anywhere except under the Plugins menu. (I can assign shortcut keys to plugin actions, but I'm running out of them, too; and I'm allergic to toolbars.) Also, letter accelerators (like FC for File | Close) don't work with plugins, either. Is there any way for an end user (who is not a Java programmer) to modify the main menu structure? (I know that the Utilities | Global dlg allows me to modify the right-click menu, but I want to be able to modify the main menu bar.) I'm using 4.2 at the office, and don't have any control over that. (I suppose we'll move to 4.3 when it's finalized; maybe that solves my problem?) Mike Maxwell CASL/ U MD (Apologies for the ugly posting; I know how to use whitespace, but my newlines don't show up when I Preview, and presumably won't show up when I submit)
Comment viewing options
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click 'Save settings' to activate your changes.
Number of items before menus spill over.
by elberry on Fri, 15/02/2008 - 18:52
Don't know if this will help, but you can change the number of items in a menu before they spill over into a sub menu.

Go to your global options and under "Appearance" you'll see the option.

If you have 20 plugins and you set that number to 25, then all your plugins will appear in one long list and not be broken up.

Hope that helps.

Learn from the past. Live in the present. Plan for the future.

spill over
by McSwell on Sun, 17/02/2008 - 18:05
Thanks--I hadn't paid attention to that option before. Not quite what I was looking for, but useful.

I guess what I am looking for is a way to create a user-defined menu, like I can with Visual Slickedit.

Mike Maxwell

menu definition
by Robert Schwenn on Wed, 27/02/2008 - 21:43
You can re-define a menu. First, You should extract the file jedit_gui.props from jedit.jar/org/gjt/sp/jedit, look for the property "view.mbar" and study the following lines.

If the related properties are re-defined in Your "properties" file (located in .jedit settings directory) the changed menu is shown. I.e. You could add the following lines to Your "properties" file:

view.mbar=file edit search markers folds view utils macros testmenu plugins help-menu
testmenu.label=$Test
testmenu=temp/LunarPhases \
columnruler.toggle-vis

In this example there would appear an extra main menu item "Test" (with accellerator key "t") before the "plugins" menu. The first menu item is the macro "..\jedit\macros\temp\LunarPhases.bsh". The second item would invoke the action "columnruler.toggle-vis".

Notes:
1. CAUTION: This way the original main menu isn't extended but overridden! You would have to watch the file "jedit_gui.props" of coming releases by Yourself...
2. If You would make the changes to Your personal "properties" file as mentioned above, the changes would take effect only to Yourself.
If You have access to the jedit installation directory, in in it's "properties" subdirectory You could place a separate file with the above lines. The file must have the extension ".props" (i.e. myMenu.props).

User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348