jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Action Bar commands
Submitted by prk59 on Sunday, 17 February, 2008 - 21:06
Hi everybody,
Like a lot of you I suppose, I fell in love with jedit. But I still do not know how to use it very well. Yesterday I discovered the action bar. In the manual it says that I can open the Global Options by typing l-o in the action bar. I tried it and it worked. However I was not able to find other commands (for example for the plugin options). When I'm in the action bar and I press up I get a list of commands, but they are of the type plugin-options; what I want is short commands. Where can I find a list of all the commands that I can type in the action bar please?

I also have a small question that is off topic: is jedit still (actively) developped? Because almost everywhere on the site I see old dates (2001, 2003) and on the botton of the page it says (c) 2003. In addition to that, I think there haven't been a release for some time now. Please excuse me if I am wrong (actually I hope I am wrong...)
Comment viewing options
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click 'Save settings' to activate your changes.
Yes. Even though the website
by frodesto on Fri, 14/03/2008 - 19:09
Yes. Even though the website looks like something left over from the 90's jEdit is actually actively maintained.

I fear that a lot of potential new jEdit users are put off by the out-of-date looking website and disregard it as a dead project. What a shame, jEdit is such a superb editor! If the website (and maybe the editor itself) got a facelift, I think jEdit would see a rapid increase in popularity!
I'm not sure about the first
by elberry on Mon, 18/02/2008 - 19:58
I'm not sure about the first part since I've never used that before (very cool - you learn something new every day. Smiling )

However, jEdit is definitely still being actively developed. If you're curious you should head over to the source forge site and sign up for some of the mailing lists. They're more active than this community site.

http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=588

There hasn't been an actual "Release" in a while, but each of the pre-releases are very stable. 4.3pre12 is the 12th pre-release of jEdit 4.3 and there are a lot of changes and new plugins. I definitely urge you to give it a try.

Learn from the past. Live in the present. Plan for the future.

Thanks for your answer. I sus
by prk59 on Mon, 18/02/2008 - 23:06
Thanks for your answer. I suscribed to the first jedit mailing list (the one on the updates) thanks to you. I am very glad that jedit is still actively developped, I don't know what I would do without it. However, it's too bad there is not a lot of documentation and tutorial about how to use it like a pro. I've seen the TAAT tutorial, which is pretty good, but that's all I have found.
I have so many questions, but I will create a new topic where I will ask general questions so things stay organized.

Display_Actions macro
by Robert Schwenn on Wed, 27/02/2008 - 22:00
The macro "Macros->misc->Display Actions" will write ALL actual availlable action names along with their labes into a new buffer. Try this and some other macros. They are great!

BTW: I think jedit's help isn't small. Did You really read it?
Eye-wink

Robert

Hi again, I am actually prk5
by AzizLight on Sun, 06/04/2008 - 17:25
Hi again,
I am actually prk59, I had problems with my account, I had registered it with a temporary email (not very smart). Any way thanks for your answer, the macro is actually pretty useful. I did some experimentation and I found out something quite amazing (at least to my eyes). It's something that nobody talked about and that is not mentionned in the jEdit Help/Documentation (even though there is an allusion to it in the Doc - if there is a mention of this somewhere else I haven't found it):
if the name of an action is composed of two parts (i.e.: global-options), it can be presented in two ways: two parts seperated by a dash (-) or two parts seperated by an underscore (_). Those action have actually shorter names:
-For the ones that are seperated by a dash, take th last letter of the first part and the first letter of the second part, you seperate the two letters by a dash, and you have you shorter action bar action name. Exemples:
-plugin-options -->> n-o
-plugin-manager -->> n-m
-global-options -->> l-o (that's the one given in the Doc)

-For the names which two parts are seperated by an underscore, it's the same technique but you replace the dash by an underscore (generally those names are not native to jEdit. i.e.: macros and plugins):

-display_abbreviations -->> y_a
-full_screen -->> l_s (you have to download the macro FullScreen)

However there are (a lot of) exceptions: display_actions --> y_ac

I haven't even found 1/10th of the shorter names, but I'm glad I found the logic of the mecanism (or at least part of it); I have to says it was kind of obvious and not very hard to find but I'm still glad.
Anyway I hope at least one of you didn't know that and finds what I just explained a little bit interresting...
Either way, Enjoy
Aziz

PS: I have to admit that overall jedit's help is not small at all. However, the section on the Action Bar is very small and there is a lot to be discovered. I find it challenging, I kind of like it Laughing out loud

Didn't know it at all. :-)
by Robert Schwenn on Mon, 07/04/2008 - 20:13
Didn't know it at all. Smiling

Robert
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348