jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Templates won't work
Submitted by klaxon62 on Saturday, 29 March, 2008 - 00:51
Folks,
Working with a newish install of Jedit4.3pre9, and plugin Templates 3.3.0 on a Vista Home machine. Behaviour same with similar config on an XP machine. We have good working setup on 2 older installs on XP.

Templates are plain text, no extra code.

When trying to apply a template from the template tree, it fails silently -- text not inserted, no error message.

When applying template from menu Plugins->Templates, the I get the following dump.

If anyone could shed some light on this I would really appreciate it.

java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.gjt.sp.jedit.textarea.JEditTextArea.getBuffer()Lorg/gjt/sp/jedit/Buffer;
at velocity.jEditContext.getLeadingWhiteSpace(Unknown Source)
Comment viewing options
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click 'Save settings' to activate your changes.
No real idea
by Robert Schwenn on Tue, 01/04/2008 - 19:19
I would try to compare the "good" and the "bad" jedit installation, especially the config for velocity and templates directories. Sometime any properties or any files in the settings directory are bothering.

But why do You install old (pre-)versions? Better to try jEdit 4.3pre12 (if You got it, the current pre13 is not a must have) and templates 4.1.1.

Robert

Possibly found the reason
by klaxon62 on Fri, 04/04/2008 - 00:00
Robert,
thanks for your comment. One reason for older versions is that they are tested in the environment they being used. It takes a little while before newer versions can be tested. We don't just always jump on the newest shiniest versions of things. Where jEdit is concerned there is a reliance on the Java installation which also has to be tested first and in a large organization with strict test and rollout procedures this can take a VERY long time! We've seen java updates break all kinds of other business processes, particularly with respect to Oracle database connections so there is a certain paranoia about this stuff.

It turns out that there is indeed a difference between the working and the non-working setups. In the working setups, the Templates plugin version is 4.1.0 -- this isn't even available now so newer installs are getting version 3.3.0 which seems to break with jEdit 4.3pre9.

• 3.3.0 for jEdit >= 4.2pre3 (August 16, 2003)
• 4.1.1 for jEdit >= 4.3pre12 (February 12, 2008)

Normally we would have kept plugin installs available locally for just this reason and the fact that the jEdit downloads have been unavailable from time to time but this one got missed.

I finally got the Template pl
by klaxon62 on Tue, 08/04/2008 - 23:01
I finally got the Template plugin to work by first upgrading to JEDIT 4.3pre13. Even then the Plugin Manager wanted to install Templates 3.3.0. Only by manually copying in the 4.1.1 jar file did templates finally work.

The problem now is that Console (neither 4.2.6.5 nor 4.1.2) won't work -- which is an even bigger problem than Templates not working. I wonder if this relates to the Beanshell changes?

3:54:31 PM [error] ErrorListDialog$ErrorEntry: \\PARADE\GAMCLEOD$\PROFILE\.jedit\jars\Console.jar:
3:54:31 PM [error] ErrorListDialog$ErrorEntry: Cannot start: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.gjt.sp.jedit.BeanShell.getNameSpace()Lbsh/NameSpace;
3:54:31 PM [error] ErrorListDialog$ErrorEntry: Try updating to a newer version of the plugin.
3:54:31 PM [debug] EditBus: PluginUpdate[what=ACTIVATED,exit=false,source=\\PARADE\GAMCLEOD$\PROFILE\.jedit\jars\Console.jar,class=console.ConsolePlugin]
3:54:31 PM [debug] PluginJAR: Opening \\PARADE\GAMCLEOD$\PROFILE\.jedit\jars\Console.jar

update Console!
by Robert Schwenn on Wed, 09/04/2008 - 18:02
The error message says "Try updating to a newer version of the plugin". Why don't You do it?

I've installed Console plugin 4.3.6. So, i think, the error must be related to the Beanshell changes.

Robert

Copy Plugins
by Robert Schwenn on Fri, 04/04/2008 - 21:14
If You have a working jEdit installation with all plugins You want - it's all You need.

jEdit doesn't use the windows registry (except for the one context menu item). There are exactly two directories that jEdit is using for itself: the program directory and the settings directory (%USERPROFILE%\.jedit\).

Just copy them if You want to clone a whole jedit installation.

If You want to get a plugin from another jedit installation: Just copy the plugin's jar file and - if there are any- other jars it depends on. For the templates plugin that are:
templates.jar
velocity-??.jar
JakartaCommons.jar
(maybe other *-commons-*.jar)

Robert
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348