jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Help! I've lost the File Open and Save As dialogs
Submitted by Lummo on Sunday, 26 October, 2008 - 14:46
When I try File | Open or Save As operations jEdit apparently writes up the dialog because I hear disk activity and see Input/Output complete in the status bar. The dialog is no where to be seen. Any other menu operations are met with a beep which normally indicates a modal dialog is expecting input. gets rid of it and I can then use other menu options. I'm using jEdit 4.3pre10 with java 1.6.0_03. Things went wrong when I was trying to open a file and got bored waiting for the dialog to appear (network share). I am using Microsoft Virual Desk Manager (MSVDM) and switched to another desktop to start up some music. While I was on the other desktop the File Open dialog appeared and then disappeared. Now I can't get the File Open dialog on any desktop. I've rebooted and reinstalled jEdit but it hasn't made any difference. I'm guessing that some config file in jEdit has got confused and isn't loading the dialog in the right place in the display. Does any one know if this might be so and, if so, how I can reset it? Thanks for any suggestions. with regards, Lummo
Comment viewing options
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click 'Save settings' to activate your changes.
Two options
by Robert Schwenn on Sun, 26/10/2008 - 21:56
Hi, hoping the problem is as You guess, I see two options:

1. Smart
Edit the "properties" file in Your jEdit's settings directory. Search for all properties which names begin with "vfs.browser.dialog" and delete them. Restart jEdit. If this doesn't help, try:

2. Hard & easy
Delete Your jEdit's settings directory (when jEdit isn't running). Sometimes this also helps in strange problems.

Hope it helps.
Robert

Hello, Thanks for your sugges
by Lummo on Mon, 27/10/2008 - 09:14
Hello, Thanks for your suggestions. I tried the Smart and the Hard & Easy. I'm afraid that neither worked. The vfs.browser.dialog properties were:

vfs.browser.dialog.width=946
vfs.browser.dialog.width=946
vfs.browser.dialog.y=177
vfs.browser.dialog.x=32771
vfs.browser.dialog.height=677

My first thought was "I can see the problem" so I edited the file to set more sensible values for the .x and .y positions. That didn't make any difference. Then I tried your Smart suggestion and then the Hard & Easy. I get exactly the same behaviour with each of them. On top of that I looked in the new properties file and found exactly the same values for vfs.browser.dialog values as above.

A wild guess: 32771 is larger than the max for a signed 16 bit integer as I remember from my PDP-11 days so that would make it negative. Any possibilities there?

I'm using drag and drop to open files at the moment Smiling

with best regards,
Adrian

Just out of curiosity, did yo
by elberry on Mon, 27/10/2008 - 16:49
Just out of curiosity, did you edit the properties file using jEdit?

I believe jEdit only reads those properties once at startup, and only writes them once at shutdown. So if you started up jEdit, you'd get x=32771, if you then changed the file and shutdown, jEdit would rewrite that property as x=32771.

By the by - similar to Roberts smart way, you should be able to set these properties at runtime using some beanshell code.
[code]
jEdit.setProperty("vfs.browser.dialog.x", "250");
[/code]

Type that into an empty jEdit buffer, select it, and use "Utilities" -> "Beanshell" -> "Evaluate Selection".

Hope that helps.

Learn from the past. Live in the present. Plan for the future.
Blog

Solved!
by Lummo on Mon, 27/10/2008 - 20:35

Thanks for thinking of that. I did worry about jEdit only reading the properties at start up so I shut it down, imported the properties file into Excel so that I could sort it, edited it with a different editor and then restarted jEdit. I did this for both editing the file and for deleting the file.

I will try your beanshell tip to see if that fixes things. Then we're sure that it's using a sensible value, right? Actually I'll go off and try it right now.

THAT WORKED! EXCELLENT

This is what I used:

jEdit.setProperty("vfs.browser.dialog.x", "250");
jEdit.setProperty("vfs.browser.dialog.y", "25");

That brought my Open dialog back on to the screen. I presume that it will now save that location in the properties file and I'm back in business. Great.

Thank you very much for the assistance. Now I can get back to hacking my multi-lingual web site development.

All the best,
Lummo
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348