jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
What is the community's opinion of "Jedit X"?
Submitted by Todd on Saturday, 21 March, 2009 - 14:11
This is probably as good a place as any to post this question. I have been a long-time jEdit user, but since moving to a Mac I've been frustrated with its lack of "Cocoa-ness." Progress has been made with the interface *looking* more Mac-centric, but the software itself doesn't play especially well with OSX.

So when I stumbled on "Jedit X," I was excited at first, thinking I'd finally found a Cocoa version of jEdit. This doesn't seem to be entirely true. While the first paragraph describing Jedit X says it is "the result of re-building the software entirely from scratch in Cocoa to best take advantage OS X's capabilities," a line further down says "Our Jedit is a native Macintosh application and is totally unrelated to the Java editor 'jEdit.'" Not quite sure how both can be true. The two programs certainly have similarities, but a lot of differences, too. Boiling it down to the biggest advantages & disadvantages from my view, it has a lot of the same powerful text-editing functions and search capability but with better OSX integration, but doesn't have the Plugin Manager or even compatibility with manual jEdit plugin installation (unless I'm missing something). Of course another advantage/disadvantage, depending on how you look at it, is the fact that Jedit X is a commercial product.

I'm still hoping there will one day be a Cocoa version of jEdit itself that stays current, or close to current with the Java version. Is that even remotely possible? What is the jEdit community's opinion of "Jedit X"? Is it viewed as a rip-off or a legitimate commercial offshoot of jEdit?

Thanks,

Todd
Comment viewing options
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click 'Save settings' to activate your changes.
As far as I know, it's neithe
by elberry on Wed, 25/03/2009 - 07:40
As far as I know, it's neither really. I don't think it's a rip off, nor is it an offshoot. As far as I know it's a completely different project/application.

I've been a mac user for awhile, and I always end up turning off all the mac look and feel anyway. I find jEdit easier to use with it's natural Java Skin.

It's also easier for me because I switch around between OS's a lot.

What exactly is missing in jEdit that makes it have less "Cocoa-ness"?

Learn from the past. Live in the present. Plan for the future.
Blog

Missing Cocoa-ness
by warhammerkid on Thu, 26/03/2009 - 21:11
I just switched to OS X recently from Kubuntu, where I'd been using jEdit for many years, and there are a lot of problems with jEdit on the Mac. If you have one of the new MB or MBPs, the two finger scrolling doesn't work if you can't move your fingers perfectly vertically, the "native" look and feel is a horrid 10.3 look and feel, with incorrect tabs (I use the buffer tabs plugin), and the borders between docked items and the text area are humongous. Just like you, I immediately switched back to the natural Java skin. In addition, the switch from Ctrl to the Apple key isn't quite perfect, because some of the text fields still require you to use Ctrl (to paste for example).

However, I highly doubt if I'll ever leave jEdit any time soon. It totally owns TextMate in searching, side kick totally rules, and it supports the home and end keys (which I use all the time). Plus, it's open source, and a lot of good plugins have been written for it (although development is rather slow). I have been keeping my eye on Espresso, which is open enough that it has the potential to support the things I enjoy in jEdit, but it is still pretty immature at the moment.

Just so you know, I'm a full-time rails, ruby, as3, javascript, and php developer.
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348