jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
compiling and running java programs !!
Submitted by ivan83sg on Tuesday, 14 December, 2004 - 06:24
Is there any plungins available for compiling and running java programs??

Thanks guys
Ivan
help with windows, jedit.bat, and default text editor.
Submitted by Anonymous on Friday, 10 December, 2004 - 23:49
Was trying to do some tutorials on C++ maybe learn something. Started reading to look for a good freeware text editor (have used textpad in the past for php/htm editing, but don't have a liscense for it here). Stumbled across jedit on a google, so far I like it. Wanted to make it my default editor.

I can associate most anything I want with the jedit.bat file and it works fine. My only real question is, on the first instance of jedit I open up using this method, the DOS window does not go away. Any subsequent openings after the initial jedit launch, the DOS window goes away. And if I close the initial Jedit window, then the DOS window goes away with it. I can close the DOS window at anytime with no ill affects. Its only a minor inconvenience, but I am trying to learn something new and any ideas on how to make that go away would be appreciated Smiling

Thanks!

Mike
How to install jEdit on Fedora Core 3
Submitted by Anonymous on Monday, 6 December, 2004 - 07:46
If anyone is trying to install jEdit on Fedora Core 3, here's how you can hopefully avoid problems:

Go to jpackage.org and follow the instructions for setting up yum or apt (or even synaptic) to look for the jpacakge repositories (i.e. one of the mirrors). Be sure to include both the General and Fedora Core 3 repository entries, or you'll be missing way too many packages.

Install Java if you haven't already; I recommend the J2SE Software Development Kit (SDK) at:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html

(Presumably another brand of Java, besides Sun, would work; this is the only one I've tried.)

This next step is important: using yum or apt(/synaptic) with the jpackage repository, download the package "java-1.4.2-sun-compat". If you don't do this, jEdit (or other packages downloaded through jpackage) may not work. (Apparently it's necessary to get the Sun installation of Java to talk to jpackage packages, such as jEdit.)

Then, download jEdit with yum or apt ("yum install jedit" or "apt-get install jedit").

Anyway, that worked for me. It took me forever to figure out the java-1.4.2-sun-compat thing, without which I could install jEdit but not launch it. Credit for that tip goes to:

http://www.spindazzle.org/green/index.php?p=24

Hope this helps! Feel free to add any additional tips or corrections.
jedit + usb HOWTO updated
Submitted by Anonymous on Friday, 3 December, 2004 - 11:01
I have updated my information page on setting up usb devices to work with jEdit under Windows.

http://blue_technx.tripod.com

Thanks to a friend at school for pointing out how to properly set the 'cnfg' variable found on in the tutorial.

David G.
Strumpfhosenland
Submitted by Anonymous on Thursday, 25 November, 2004 - 22:45
Windows installer doesn't find Java
Submitted by rovf on Tuesday, 23 November, 2004 - 08:49
Running the Windows Installer, I get the error message

"Setup unable to find a JDK or Java Runtime 1.3 or higher"

I have installed JDK 1.4, and my JAVA_HOME environment variable points to this
directory. Also I am able to run other Java applications, such as ant. What else
could be the reason for this error message? What other environment variables
should I check?

Ronald
Windows installer doesn't find Java
Submitted by rovf on Tuesday, 23 November, 2004 - 08:46
Running the Windows Installer, I get the error message

"Setup unable to find a JDK or Java Runtime 1.3 or higher"

I have installed JDK 1.4, and my JAVA_HOME environment variable points to this
directory. Also I am able to run other Java applications, such as ant. What else
could be the reason for this error message? What other environment variables
should I check?

Ronald
Building jEdit from source under Windows
Submitted by Anonymous on Monday, 22 November, 2004 - 11:23
How build jEdit from source code on Windows platform ?
Hangs at splash screen on XP SP2 + Sun j2sdk1.4.2_05 + jEdit 4.2
Submitted by Anonymous on Thursday, 11 November, 2004 - 01:03
Tried both generic jar and windows installers, installation went smoothly.
But jEdit hangs at splash screen when started (progress bar reaches the end).
Any idea what could be wrong?
brand-spanking newbie needs help.
Submitted by neurotrash on Sunday, 7 November, 2004 - 00:36
Will some generous soul tell me how to download the ruby edit mode? I press the download link and I see what to my ignorant eyes is gobbledygook, sans instructions. So?&Huh?etc.
jedit + usb HOWTO posted
Submitted by Anonymous on Tuesday, 2 November, 2004 - 01:27
I have helped a few people with a .bat file I have created to use a usb and jedit from any computer with Java on it...

For those who may find it helpful, here is a sortof "howto" on how to accomplish this. Here is a link to a page I made up describing this process for windowsXP.

http://blue_technx.tripod.com/usb-jedit.html

regards,

David Gurba
Installing jEdit on USB key
Submitted by silang on Thursday, 28 October, 2004 - 22:48
I would like to install onto a usb key including java runtime to be able to run from Linux or Windows. I could do with some help on paths. Any hints?

Many thanks
pre13 version available?
Submitted by Anonymous on Saturday, 23 October, 2004 - 15:39
Is the 4.2 pre13 version available anywhere? It doesn't appear to be available on the jEdit download or Sourceforge pages. I'd like to download it in order to get the jEditLauncher inside it (no longer in the final 4.2 release).
Make a "juste install" package
Submitted by Marcogringo on Thursday, 21 October, 2004 - 07:51
Hi,
I have create an application wich is a script engine. So, a lot of users of my application will have to write scripts. My scripts are in xml format. So, I have test a lot of XML editors. JEdit (with the XML plugin, and some others) I the only one that is free and great. Know, I would give JEdit to the users, with my application, but I would like that the users juste have to install a "special package" of JEdit, with XML plugin, using the embeded sideKick xml tree browser. So, the user will not have to download the plugins, configure it, .... Is it allowed to do it ? And if yes, how can I do the package ?
Open With Jedit in context menu didn't work - problem solved
Submitted by Anonymous on Wednesday, 29 September, 2004 - 17:41
After deinstalling a pre-Version and installing the final version of Jedit4.2 the Open With Jedit in context menu didn't work anymore.

Changing the following Registry-key (Win Xp) solved the problem:

HKEY_LOCAL_MASCHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\*\Shell\Open with JEdit\command

"c:\j2sdk1.4.2\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "C:\Programme\jEdit\jedit.jar" -reuseview "%1"

to simply

javaw.exe -jar "C:\Programme\jEdit\jedit.jar" -reuseview "%1"
(as javaw is in my path anyway)
Same settings and plugins for all users?
Submitted by cyther on Wednesday, 29 September, 2004 - 17:37
Hi!

How to set up jEdit so that all users (on Linux) use the same settings, plugins etc?
Sorry if it a FAQ (I didn't find any clue in the Help or FAQ).

Thanx
Cyther
Can't Install on SUSE LINUX 8.0
Submitted by evangelinux on Wednesday, 22 September, 2004 - 22:30
I may just be overlooking something here:

I have both 1.4.05 JRE & SDK installed. I dropped the jedit42install.jar into /tmp, and tried to run it from the command line. Either nothing happens, or I get an error message (I'll try again later this evening to get the exact words) to the effect that I can't run it. If I double click on it in KDE, it wants me to pick a progam to open the file with. Do I need to change the permissions on the JAR file (as I have with regular binary installers)?

Thanks in advance,
Don
Can't install Jedit on Solaris 9 (Failed to load Main-Class manifest attribute from)
Submitted by Anonymous on Thursday, 16 September, 2004 - 15:45
Hello,

Can't install jedit 4.2 on Solaris box, here is my steps

bash-2.05# java -version
java version "1.4.2_04"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_04-b05)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2_04-b05, mixed mode)

bash-2.05# java -jar jedit42install.jar
Failed to load Main-Class manifest attribute from
jedit42install.jar

Why ? Smiling

thanks

Ostap
jEditInstaller can't find JRE on WinXP?
Submitted by Anonymous on Thursday, 9 September, 2004 - 13:44
Trying to install using jEdit42Install.exe on WinXP. When I click the executable, I get the following message:

Setup unable to find a Java Development Kit or Java Runtime 1.3, or higher, installed. You must have installed at least JDK or JRE, 1.3 or higher to continue setup. Please install one from http://java.sun.com and restart setup.

I do indeed have JRE 1.3 installed on this system. In fact, when I install using the jEdit42Install.jar, I can use jEdit just fine. How do I trick the installer into recognizing that I have 1.3 installed?

Alternately, if anyone can tell me how to create a windows batch file that accepts command line options (e.g., jedit.bat -e file.txt), I'll be just as happy. Thanks!
I/O error trying to install AntFarm plugin - Connection timed out: connect
Submitted by kcpdad on Sunday, 8 August, 2004 - 12:33
I've installed JEdit w/o problom on Windows XP Home Edition but when I try to install the AntFarm plugin it fails because of a connection time out. Help! Thanks!
User login
Browse archives
« May 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   83281