jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
How can I connect matching brackets with a line
Submitted by flowerjt on Saturday, 13 March, 2004 - 23:41
Hi,

I would like to set this useful function but don't know how!
Is it a plugin feature or a basic function of jEdit?
Here is a screenshot of what i mean:
http://www.jedit.org/index.php?page=screenshot&image=29

Please help...
Set directory for unsaved scratch file buffer
Submitted by Anonymous on Wednesday, 10 March, 2004 - 20:25
When I start working on a file, jedit creates a file called #Untitled-1# and puts it in whatever current directory I happen to be in. This sometimes causes me to have these little files scattered about on the myriad of different drives and file shares I work on. The auto save feature lets you set a 'backup' directory, but I haven't been able to figure out a way to set 'scratch file' directory.

Any insights much appreciated !
Getting started: How to compile java program?
Submitted by Anonymous on Wednesday, 10 March, 2004 - 19:10
Hi,
I am new to jedit and have been using textpad to write java programs. I can't get my helloworld application or anything to run on jedit. Is it complicated to run java programs on jedit? Please help!! Detail instructions appreciated a lot. Thanks.
Column selection?
Submitted by Anonymous on Wednesday, 10 March, 2004 - 14:54
Is it possible to select an entire column? -Disregarding paragraphs or other divisions in the text.
Rectangular selection is not very convenient when dealing with very large files. I'm looking fore some feature that enables me to select a portion of a line and being able to select "extend selection vertically throughout entire file", or anything similar with same effect.

Does jEdit already have such a feature or is it available as a plugin?

I would really appreciate any help on this!
indenting a rectangular selection with any text...
Submitted by Anonymous on Tuesday, 9 March, 2004 - 11:20
Hi,

Is there a way to indent a rectangular selection with any text?
In some editors (Ultraedit for one) you can perform a zero width rectangular selection (I managed that in Jedit) and just type in the text (in Jedit, the text just appears on one line unfortunately). Is there any way to accomplish that?

Thanks,

Seb.
Using DTD to edit and validate XML documents
Submitted by Anonymous on Monday, 8 March, 2004 - 09:29
I edit SVG documents but Jedit (4.1) don't validate them against declared dtd.
I Downloaded it in the dtds directory, but Jedit keep to find "many errors" in my file (element "..." must be declared...).
I don't either understand the "remote host", "login" "pasword" form to cache dtds...
Running programs after compiling
Submitted by MicroMoth on Sunday, 7 March, 2004 - 22:34
Hi,

I have just started using JEdit, can anyone tell me how I can get my programs to run after I have compiled it.

Thanks
Colorizing variables?
Submitted by tupperduck on Sunday, 7 March, 2004 - 14:49
Is there an option/plugin that allows user defined variables to be colorized in addition to normal syntax coloring? (e.g. If I declare "bool PluginExists", both "bool" AND "PluginExists" would be colorized, as would any additional occurrences of "PluginExists".)
How do I stop jEdit from creating additional files prepended with ~
Submitted by Anonymous on Friday, 5 March, 2004 - 23:12
It creates an extra copy of the files I open that are prepended with a ~ i.e. ~myFile.file. I would like to turn this off if possible.
Java console I/O in jEdit (Console plugin)?
Submitted by MikeTheTall on Thursday, 4 March, 2004 - 23:27
I remember reading somewhere in the jEdit documentation that there's a problem with getting input from a Java, if the program attempts to read from System.in (i.e., from std input / console input). I can confirm that this is the case, using jEdit (4.1final) / the Console (3.5) plugin on WinXP Pro Smiling. The program halts w/ an unhandled exception since it can't read input.

My question is: are there plans to fix this (any time soon)?
Related questions: Is it possible to fix this (i.e., there's nothing in the architecture that will prevent this from eventually working)? If it's not too hard to fix, and someone would be willing to give this newbie a couple of pointers as to where to look, I'd be happy to try fixing it myself.

Some semi-related background: I'd like to use jEdit in a class on Java that I'm teaching at a community college. The students will need to be able to do I/O, and I want to avoid any command line magic (it's "Intro to programming for people who have never programmed before, most of whom have never seen a command prompt before" Smiling )

Thanks!
--Mike
setting backup directory???
Submitted by Anonymous on Thursday, 4 March, 2004 - 09:29
Hello, I use jEdit with great success on my Creative Muvo memory stick (128MB). I hoping someone could give me a quick way to point jEdit's backup directory to a directory on the memory stick, regardless of the drive path (as the usb stick can PnP with any PC/drive letter). So I have created a valid backup path like: :files\japps\jedit\workbkups and I essentially want to have jEdit see "${JEDIT_HOME}\workbups" as the backup path to send all backups there... but I can't figure out how to do it....is there a simple beanshell script someone can offer to load at runtime to set the parameter, or some other solution? thnx, jEdit is very cool. technx
Possible to select text between spaces?
Submitted by kenweb on Thursday, 4 March, 2004 - 01:19
Is there a way to select text between spaces? (e.g. selecting a complete url http://www.sun.com )

I know there are commands to "select to start of white space" and "select to end of white space" but they will not work together in multiple selection mode.

I like to put cursor anywhere on the url and be able to select the complete url. Is it possible? Combination of steps are fine since I will be recording a macro for the whole process.
How to change URL into hyper lnk in text file?
Submitted by kenweb on Wednesday, 3 March, 2004 - 04:45
Is there a way to make the url in my text file (e.g. http://www.sun.com) into a hyper link so I can just click on it and have it open in a browser instead of copying the url as I have to do now? Don't know if this is possible.
Need help getting Explicit folding mode working (Indent mode works great!)
Submitted by d on Wednesday, 3 March, 2004 - 02:21
I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong... I can get Indent folding mode to work but not Explicit. Would someone please give me detailed instructions for setting/using Explicit folding?

Many thanks,
Doug
unsuported encoding exeption
Submitted by vodnik on Tuesday, 2 March, 2004 - 17:29
I have instaled Jedit. Now I try to open or save a file but the editor gives me the same message as follows: "Unsuported Encoding exeption: ISO8859_2 . Only ASCII and UTF-8 ecnodings work.
My operating system is windows XP Czech location. Normaly I use cp1250 or ISO8859_2 encoding.
Do you have any idea how to repair this problem?
Thanks
XSLT Plugin Problem
Submitted by Anonymous on Monday, 1 March, 2004 - 17:58
I use jedit 4.1 final. I recently installed the XSLT plugin, but the plugin UI doesn't show widgets for selecting the xsl file or for specifying stylesheet parameters. That area is filled with a hatch pattern. I've tried reinstalling the plugin, and uninstall/reinstall jedit entirely, but still no go. ANy ideas?

Thanx
Not resolving symlinks - option ?
Submitted by entropy on Monday, 1 March, 2004 - 10:38
Is there any way to prevent JEdit from resolving symlinks ?

Our source control system works by creating symlinks links into a hash directory structure.

So when you try to edit
/source/project_x/foo.c

you see something like
/db/213445/234234/2453425.data

This means that the syntax highlighting doesn't get
enabled automatically. Also, the current working directory is set to the source db which makes it difficult to run make. Sad
Word wrap Shortcut
Submitted by Anonymous on Thursday, 26 February, 2004 - 09:02
Hi! I would like to create a keyboard shortcut to change word wrap mode. I couldn't come up with any way to do this. Maybe I could make a macro that change word wrap mode (or does this exist?), and then bind a key to this macro. How do I change word wrap mode from bean shell?
Any help with this topic would be mush appreciated, thanks!
Spookyy
Line (not word) wrapping
Submitted by christophergraz on Tuesday, 24 February, 2004 - 17:36
Is there a way to wrap lines at a particular column or the window border? I mean wrapping at the column regardless of whitespace, as opposed to word wrapping which only wraps when there is a whitespace break.

Word wrapping is nice for text and coding, but it's not useful for reading log files with long lines that have no whitespace.

Thanks.
4.2pre9: Overiding the default line seperator globally
Submitted by Anonymous on Tuesday, 24 February, 2004 - 02:59
I used to be able to set the default line seperator (\n, \r, \r\n) for all buffers in jEdit 4.2pre8. This was great since, I really prefer using the line feed character of *nix as opposed to the carriage return + line feed of DOS/Windows. Unfortunately, this seems to be missing in pre9. Is there a quick and dirty 'fix' for this?
User login
Browse archives
« May 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   83281