jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
4.2pre9: Overiding the default line seperator globally
Submitted by Anonymous on Tuesday, 24 February, 2004 - 02:59
I used to be able to set the default line seperator (\n, \r, \r\n) for all buffers in jEdit 4.2pre8. This was great since, I really prefer using the line feed character of *nix as opposed to the carriage return + line feed of DOS/Windows. Unfortunately, this seems to be missing in pre9. Is there a quick and dirty 'fix' for this?
JUnit output problems
Submitted by joycestack on Monday, 23 February, 2004 - 16:53
Hello Everyone,

I have a simple test that has the following code in a method

assertEquals( "hello", "hello 34534" );

This obviously fails. JUnit says it succeeds and I have println's everywhere but nothing is being output to the console.

What do I need to do ?

Thanks,

Joyce Stack
Locking a New View
Submitted by Anonymous on Monday, 23 February, 2004 - 15:56
Hi,

I took a quick look through the documentation but couldn't find anything relevant. My apologies if this is clearly addressed somewhere.

jEdit is fantastic, but there is one "feature" which annoys me. Occasionally I like to create multiple views (via the "New View" button) for different files I'm editing at the same time. However, whenever I open a new file it updates the current buffer in *each* view to reflect that new file. I then have to switch back to the correct file I was editing in each view. Is there a way I can tell jEdit NOT to switch the current buffer when opening a new file for a particular instance of a view?

Hopefully what I'm asking is clear. Thanks for any help.
writing a macro that repeats to end of file
Submitted by Anonymous on Sunday, 22 February, 2004 - 20:12
I'm having trouble writing a macro that repeats to the end of file. I want the curser to move down 2 lines, then delete, then move down 2 lines, then delete, repeatedly until the end of file is reached.

I wrote the macro that moves down 2 lines and deletes and tried repeating using C+Enter, but if you give it a number that goes past the end of file it starts deleting lines that I don't want deleted.

There's got to be a way to do this. Anyone know?
dave
Image dimensions when writing HTML
Submitted by setmajer on Saturday, 21 February, 2004 - 12:53
Another question regarding using jEdit as an HTML/PHP/ECMAScript/CSS editor:

One great time saver in BBEdit/HomeSite/HTMLKit/etc. is the ability to get the dimensions of an image from within the app. While this isn't really something I would expect as core functionality, I'm surprised I can't find a macro or plugin to do this.

Is this something that's not possible? Or have I just not dug far enough into BeanShell to figure out?

TIA
Multiline search/replace
Submitted by setmajer on Saturday, 21 February, 2004 - 12:47
Apologies if this is an obvious question, but the answer isn't apparent from the online docs:

I switch back and forth between Mac and Windows regularly, and am evaluating jEdit as a replacement for HTMLKit & BBEdit so I don't have to remember two sets of preferences, shortcuts, etc.

One of the features both ot those apps have is multi-line input for find/replace. That is, a largeish text box that allows one to input multiple lines of text for both the search and replacement strings. jEdit doesn't seem to offer this feature. In fact, from the documentation (and my experimentation), it doesn't seem jEdit allows one to search for a multi-line string at all.

Am I missing something, or does jEdit really not handle multi-line replacements?

TIA
File Open - wild card search
Submitted by Anonymous on Thursday, 19 February, 2004 - 20:38
I recently started using jEdit on Windows platform. I like it a lot but there is one feature that I don't like and I was wondering if there is a way to do this.

On most Windows apps, File Open dialog has a "File Name" field that I can type the exact name of the file or do a wild card search. jEdit seems to expect user to type in the exact name or use "Filter" field to do wild card search. It is more convenient to be able to do both from the same field because sometime you don't remember (or don't want to type) long file names.

Is there a way to do this in jEdit?

Thanks.
compiling jedit using gcj ?
Submitted by shyam on Thursday, 19 February, 2004 - 16:50
has anyone tried compiling jedit using gcj ?
K.Shyam
Selecting the proper edit mode
Submitted by gwperry on Tuesday, 17 February, 2004 - 20:13
I am very new to jEdit and I am trying to set up my initial environment.

I hope to use jEdit to write/edit short text programs for a proprietary extension of a CAD application. The syntax of these files are somewhat similar to Fortran, with some exceptions.

I am trying to select a edit mode that will allow for syntax highlighting. Since text mode will not show highlighting, I have selected Fortran. This mode seems to distiguish comments but nothing else.

Is there a resource I could use for selecting the best edit mode to allow for syntax highlighting? Or can a syntax standard be created for use in jEdit?

Some examples of the syntax:
---------------------------------
! used for comments in the programs

! first if end statement
IF_1
END_IF_1

! second if end statement
IF_2
END_IF_2

SEARCH_MDL_REF !typical reference call but a variable is added
USER_SELECT !typical user input
etc.
--------------------------------
vi key bindings
Submitted by Larry Bergman on Tuesday, 17 February, 2004 - 13:43
Hi, I'm a new jEdit user. I'm wondering if there are "vi" editor key bindings available for jEdit? I'd love to be able to use jEdit in "vi mode" Smiling

Thanks,
Larry
new padding in pre9?
Submitted by Anonymous on Saturday, 14 February, 2004 - 22:54
Is there a way to turn off the default line padding in pre9?? It is uber-annoying.
Help please. How to dock buffers as tabs on top of edit area?
Submitted by Anonymous on Saturday, 14 February, 2004 - 06:15
I am using 4.1. I saw the jEdit screenshots and learn it's possible to dock all the open buffers as tabs on top of the edit area. After searching around everywhere, I was still out of luck. Could you please give me a hint? Thanks.
Start batch file or program
Submitted by baloo on Wednesday, 11 February, 2004 - 15:31
Hi, is there a way to start a batch file and/or a program from a menuitem and/or a shorcut from jEdit. Is there an option in jEdit or in a plugin to do this?

thx
Search: how to exclude or include some (not all) subdirectories
Submitted by Anonymous on Tuesday, 10 February, 2004 - 17:09
I'm wondering whether it's possible to specify manually the subdirectories that should be included or excluded when doing a "Search" or a "Search & Replace" operation. The "search subdirectories" option either includes or excludes all subdirectories, but I'm looking for something more specific, perhaps a glob pattern that could be used in the "Filter" field, or better yet, a "Search in these subdirectories" and "Do not search in these subdirectories" list. In particular, at this moment I'm interested in excluding all CVS subdirectories from searches. A similar functionality would be useful in the OpenIt, FindFile and XSearch plug-ins.

Thanks for your help.
Spell Checking Options
Submitted by Anonymous on Monday, 9 February, 2004 - 04:26
Hello All;

I just started using jEdit a couple of days ago, and I am very impressed. I'm
glad I found it before I spent the money and registered UltraEdit..

There is one feature/option that I am missing; the ability to save words in a
dictionary during spell checking. I have downloaded both spell checking
plugins (Aspell and Jazzy) but can't save words.

Aspell's option to save words in the dictionary isn't active, and although,
Jazzy has the option to save the words, they are only saved during the current
session, they aren't actually saved to the dictionary.

Is there a way to save words? Maybe I didn't install correctly or missed an
option..

TIA

- John
{jEdit 4.2pre9 on Win2K}
How to launch URLs from within Jedit?
Submitted by pinchy on Sunday, 8 February, 2004 - 23:41
Hello,

Is there a way to click on a url within Jedit and have it launch in the default browser? Even if I have to place the cursor over the url and use a keyboard shortcut, this would be extremely useful for me - I keep most of my 'favorites" in a few text files.

Thanks.
Indents under javadoc comments
Submitted by Anonymous on Sunday, 8 February, 2004 - 20:50
I line up the *s in my javadoc comments which puts them one column to the right of my normal indent. After closing the comment and pressing return, 4.1 would put the cursor in the correct column for starting a method. 4.2 puts the cursor under the *. What option turns it back to the 4.1 behavior? I originally thought it was a problem with deep indent but disabling that did not help.
/**
 */
<---- 4.1 puts the cursor in this column
 <--- 4.2 puts the cursor in this column
jEdit as a Swing component
Submitted by fredatwork on Thursday, 5 February, 2004 - 22:01
Hello everybody,

Can jEdit be used as a Java Swing component that I could integrate in my own application ?

Fred
Case conversion on language keywords.
Submitted by Anonymous on Wednesday, 4 February, 2004 - 18:27
jEdit is being used at my company for editing source code written in our proprietary language. We have already defined a new language mode and registered it in the catalog. Syntax highlighting for our language works perfectly at this point.

My company's language's keywords are all in upper case, while variable, function and other identifiers are all in lower case, and this rules are enforced by our compiler. When writing code, it is actually a pain to use the CAPS LOCK key constantly to switch between lower and upper case, so we are wondering whether jEdit can do upper case conversion automatically on keywords just as it highlights them (that way we could take advantage of the rules we specified in our custom mode for this purpose and we would not need any additional programming). The DOS-based editor we used previously had this capability.

Is this feature already included in jEdit? We have not been able to find it in the user's guide. We are using jEdit 4.2-pre8. Should I post this as a Feature Request?

I believe this feature would be useful for people working in other languages as well; for example, I think SQL programmers will like it (yes, I have already checked out the tsql mode for guidance, but I could not find anything regarding this matter -- it ignores the case when highlighting and does not do case conversion).

Thank you.
perl integration
Submitted by Skeeve on Wednesday, 4 February, 2004 - 13:50
Hi!

I'm using jEdit 4.1 final on Mac OS X. Although it has many bugs, I like it very much and recommended it to anyone who wanted to know (and even to those who didn't).

Now I'm stuck with the question, how to intergrate perl. jEdit has a nice syntax highlighting and that's fine. But is there a way to invoke a syntax check for the current buffer and to navigate through the errors found?
User login
Browse archives
« May 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   83281