jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Regex for jEdit
Submitted by Whoshooter on Sunday, 29 November, 2009 - 18:40
Hi there - this is my first post here on the forum. I used to use UE but have switched to jEDIT. I have a regex for EU that adds the word BREAK every three sentences (or periods really), that worked like this.

BEFORE
The cow juumped over the silvery moon. Jack and Jill went up the hill to fetch a pail of water. Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall. It was the best the times it was the worst of times.

AFTER REGX
The cow juumped over the silvery moon. Jack and Jill went up the hill to fetch a pail of water. Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall. BREAK It was the best the times it was the worst of times.

This was the REGEX I used in EU for this move;

Find What: ^([~.]+.[~.]+.[~.]+.^)

Replace With: ^1 BREAK

Does any smart person know what the jEDIT version of this would be??? I'm fighting it with no signs of success in the near future.
Buffer stopped showing up in all views
Submitted by proee on Wednesday, 18 November, 2009 - 16:48
For some reason jEdit stopped showing all open buffer in each view. Now buffers are segregated to a single view. When I open a new buffer, I'd like it to be available in my buffer tabs across all views.

Somehow I must have broken this or turned of the default setting.

Any ideas how to get all buffers showing in each view?
Thunderbird crashes
Submitted by oh on Thursday, 12 November, 2009 - 17:11
When I copy some text from jEdit and paste it into the body of an email, Thunderbird immediately crashes - vanishes without a trace. I am not saying this is a bug with jEdit, might well be with Thunderbird. But do any of you have a suggestion for fixing this - some kind of encoding settings? (For the moment I just keep gedit open and paste the text there - and do a further Copy/Paste from gedit to dump it into a Thunderbird email.)

I am using jEdit 4.3pre16 with Java 1.6.0_0 on Ubuntu 64 and Thunderbird 3.0pre (Shredder).

Thank you,
OH
Call "Complete Word" automatically after Nth letter?
Submitted by DVV on Wednesday, 11 November, 2009 - 17:40
I believe such question was asked before, but I could not find the answer, sorry.
How can I make jEdit to call/execute its built-in function "Complete Word" for every word after I type, for example, 3 first characters of the word? You see, typing Ctrl+B for each word is tiresome, why don't jEdit itself "call" this function after Nth first letters of word have been typed?

P.S.
I've tried the TextAutocomplete plugin, but it seems to be not what I need. All I need is the standard functionality of Ctrl+B but without Ctrl+B typed manually.
Amazing editor, by the way!
Creating new key words (SQL)
Submitted by rdtindsm on Sunday, 8 November, 2009 - 18:43
Have been using Jedit for an SQL class, particularly because of the "capitalize key words" macro, which is SOP in the SQL community. There seem to be some that aren't included, 'minus' in particular. I'm not an SQL guru, but am told that different implementations can have different keywords, so the ability to modify this list would be very useful, as it was the last time I used an editor with the capability.

The home page suggests that I can add (or create) my own. Looked in users guide, FAQ, et.al, and can't find any references that tell me how to do this. Can I change colors too?
Pass selection to external tool
Submitted by oh on Friday, 6 November, 2009 - 10:21
Preamble:

I just switched from Vista to Ubuntu. Have to set up a new tool chain. Discovered jEdit - fantastic. Thanks for all the hard work.

I have used Programmers Notepad or Textpad for many years. There I set up external tools to run on certain key presses. I assume that this is done using the Console plugin. So I downloaded the latest console plugin to go with the latest jEdit.

And now the question:

In Programmers Notepad there was a check box: Pass my selection to the external program using standard input. And: Replace selection with output from external tool. These functions would give me a quick way to filter a few lines of text through an external script. Is there an equivalent to this in jEdit?

Could you please point me in the right direction?
Plugin color control
Submitted by nfgf on Wednesday, 28 October, 2009 - 19:39
Hello, folks.

I am new to jEdit and must say that I am still experiencing it and, by the way,
loving it a lot. It has all that I wanted from a text editor and two extra
important features: it has a good scripting language and runs on Windows and
Linux, so I can use the same software at both systems.

I have defined my color preferences and installed all the plugins I think are
important to me. My current configuration uses black as the editing panel
background color, but I failed to find a way to control the plugin colors so I
could have a homogenous environment. I can see that the jEdit screenshots page
shows many plugins with different background colors so I guess that I can configure
the plugin colors somehow.

Does anybody know how to control the plugin appearance?

Thank you in advance.
File Extensions and Modes
Submitted by niklasfi on Sunday, 25 October, 2009 - 09:31
Is there a way to tell jEdit to always open files of a certain file Extension in a certain mode? I am doing some work in Maple and I would like all ".maple" files to be opened in the Maple-mode. I do not think any file extensions have been registered with maple, as typical Maple files from the XMaple editor (.mw, mws) are not plain text files. Though it is possible to pass plain text files the maple compiler. Anyways. I am looking forward to your answers.
Cheers,
Niklas
formatting paragraphs within comments
Submitted by mab2001 on Wednesday, 21 October, 2009 - 16:27
Hi,

I use "Format Paragraph" along with "Rectangular Selection" to format text in a comment block (where there is "* " to the left of every line). The problem I have is that this always formats the paragraph to be 80 characters wide regardless of the left column of my selection. Is there a way to get Format Paragraph in this instance to use column 80 minus the selection's left column as the paragraph width?

Alternately, is there a plugin to aid in writing and formatting ASDoc or JavaDoc comments?

Thanks,
Mike
Custom File Extensions: Enabling syntax highlighting and abbreviations for
Submitted by navin on Sunday, 4 October, 2009 - 18:34
Hello all,
Please forgive me for this newbie question. I have been using jEdit successfully for a while now to create PHP scripts. I have recently started using the CakePHP framework and intend to keep using jEdit as my primary editor. However, CakePHP requires PHP/HTML code in certain files that don't have names that end in the familiar .php extension. I'd like to enable PHP syntax highlighting and abbreviation support for such files. My question is: How do I get jEdit to use PHP mode for files that don't have names that end with the .php extension?

Thanks,
Navin
Create new file from template
Submitted by rafael.felix on Wednesday, 23 September, 2009 - 22:27
First of all, i'd like to thank the jedit team for letting us use this fantastic editor. It is by far the best programming editor i've ever worked with.

But now here is the question: is there any way to create a file from a template? (Like those in Microsoft Word?)

I work with multiple php frameworks and it really sucks to have to create new controllers, models and views from scratch everytime.

thanks!
external editor parameters of code composer
Submitted by bseiz on Wednesday, 23 September, 2009 - 07:19
Hello,

i want to use jEdit as an external editor of Code Composer 3.1. I have tried a lot of things but nothing works. Especially i want to set up a line parameter which tells jEdit to go to a specific line.

Here you will find a screenshot of the configuration dialog of Code Composer for external editors:
http://www.bilder-space.de/show.php?file=23.09VZn2eHSmjrKEQIU.JPG

Can anybody help please?
Setting to remember window size/position/monitor from last time?
Submitted by KimBastin on Friday, 28 August, 2009 - 02:40
When I used JEdit 4.3pre16, it used to open its window the same size and position and on the same monitor as it was when I last quit the program. (I use a two-monitor system.) But 4.3pre17 always opens in the middle of the primary monitor and always quite small, so I have to drag it larger. Evidently a setting has been lost in the update, but I can't find it.

What's the setting to make Jedit remember its window settings from the last time it was run?

Running on WinXP (SP3), Java 1.6.0_15.
Multiple untitled buffers
Submitted by tj.rothwell on Wednesday, 5 August, 2009 - 17:46
I sometimes like to have multiple untitled buffers open at one time. Is this possible in jEdit?

It appears that once a single untitled buffer open, no additional buffers will be created.

Thanks!
Infoviewer configuration with Windows XP
Submitted by Gary Gabriel on Monday, 3 August, 2009 - 11:32
Hi,

I would like to be able to work more effectively and use Infoviewer with Firefox as external browser for .html texts. But I can't seem to find the right configuration. I get the following errors with the last configuration that I tried:

[debug] InfoViewerPlugin: (external): openURL: file:C:\2009\Temp2009\20091Pub_SisA7_LeadManage_Scribd.htm
[debug] InfoViewerPlugin: args[0]=C:\Programme\MozillaFirefox\firefox.exe
[debug] InfoViewerPlugin: args[1]=file:C:\2009\Temp2009\20091Pub_SisA7_LeadManage_Scribd.htm

If someone could give me a tip on what to tweak; i would appreciate it. Or a tip on where to look for more info- I tried the plugin help, and the wiki.

Thanks- Gary Gabriel
SVNPlugin, saving login credentials?
Submitted by wkoorts on Saturday, 1 August, 2009 - 00:35
Hi,

Is it possible to save login credentials for the SVNPlugin? It's a real pain having to type my login details every time I do some kind of SVN action.

Regards,
Wayne
block lines
Submitted by fedor on Tuesday, 28 July, 2009 - 16:25
hello everyone,

im new in jEdit, please just want to know how to turn on thous block line-s
http://wattaz.sk/downloads/jedit.jpg

thank you
Highlighting Headers in Html Edit Mode
Submitted by Gary Gabriel on Saturday, 25 July, 2009 - 08:15
Hi,

I use jEdit to code html and to write html formatted content. For writing content jEdit html mode proves trying and detracts from focusing on the content, and the content logic or flow. I'm searching for a better solution where the header tags h1, h2, h3, h4, h5 and h6 are highlighted. This supports connection of the content logic. It also enables faster orientation in the page and much less time spent looking for a specific page point.

Are there alternatives to offer the highlighting or an easy orientation on the headers? InfoViewer does not highlight (html) headers hence not offering relief.

Or is there another possibility to use?

Thanks for your help- Gary Gabriel
Proper colors for inline CSS
Submitted by Lobotom on Wednesday, 22 July, 2009 - 08:30
Hi people,
I have had jEdit installed on my comp for two years or so, and for the last months I've been using it intensively for making web pages : my main benefit from jEdit was to easily spot details of CSS properties, as I had the content of the style="" attribute displayed just like CSS in a .css file, green prop names and pink/red/blue values.

Now for no good reason yesterday I decided to update jEdit to 4.2 final and behold! I have lost all embedding functionnality. I used to almost never mind jEdit settings, so I'm not sure what my previous install was, I do remember I kicked off out-of-date plugins (one or two) after 4.2 was installed.

I've been trying any kind of plugins and modes since yesterday, including "A colouful HTML" which does NOT work well at all (for my 4.2 at least, random HTML tag color choices, same for CSS) but I couldn't find anything that would do it.
I'm in dire need for retrieving an equivalent of my previous install, and much frustrated that an update threw me back to the stone-age of editing comfort. I could try another editor, but hey, I feel familiar with jEdit and I'd prefer trying it all before waving it bye-bye.

Any clue or direction is very welcome.

(As a side note I'll add that the css.xml that comes with a 4.2 final fresh install doesn't even work properly : in pure CSS files I've noticed some properties names, like "top", are mistaken with values).
List open files in alphabetical order
Submitted by optigon on Sunday, 19 July, 2009 - 16:18
I have been using Jedit for a few years. Thanks.

My question is about how recently opened files are listed in the buffer pull down list. I believe at some point they were listed alphabetically, but now (mine) are listed by most recently opened.

Is there an option for making the list of opened files alphabetical?

Richard Jones
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82349