jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Making Key Words stand out
Submitted by Ciwan on Monday, 2 February, 2009 - 21:22
Hi guys

Can someone please tell me why the JEdit I have downloaded and installed doesn't change the colour of words such as import - if - else - private - int - boolean - public ...etc

Can someone help me with this ... PLEASE

I'd greatly appreciate any help given.

Thank You
icon-packs: Howto install, create new, etc..
Submitted by jdlx on Saturday, 31 January, 2009 - 14:38
Hi,

i was searching the web and this forum about any usefull info on installation and creation of icon-packs and/or whole themes.. with little success.
The wiki article on icons[1] seems to be dead/empty, and other resources, like turdheads icon-pack[2] and installation guide[3] plain don't work for me.

So could anyone help me on these questions:

1. How/where do ypu install icon-packs?
2. Is there a tutorial or guidelines on how to create a icon.pack?
3. I suppose the themes (Metal,CDE/Motif,Mac OS) are not a part of jEdit, but of Java's Swing, ist that correct? If so, is there a simple way to change the window color (not text-area!) of a given theme (in my case MacOS)?

Bottom line is: i'd like to tweak jEdits appearance to be more mac-like.. spending hours per day in front of an editor which you love by it's functionality, yet almost hate for it's visual appearance has been nagging me for a long time.. Eye-wink

thx, for any hint..
jc

[1]http://community.jedit.org/cgi-bin/TWiki/view/Main/CustomIcons
[2]http://www.turdhead.com/downloads/OSXTurdheadIconPack.jar
[3]http://www.turdhead.com/2007/09/27/going-native-with-jedit-new-download-makes-this-editor-shine/
JEdit 4.3pre-16.1 possible to MINIMIZE/CLOSE to TRAY ????
Submitted by yvonne on Wednesday, 28 January, 2009 - 22:20
Hi...great to be here.... I've realized that JEdit does everything I need...!!! fantasic..

So, enjoying the plugins and gettig a bit more skilled...

I WOULD REALLY like to be able to close or minimize and have JE STAY in the tray...

running linux...

possible???

thanks!
ctags and jedit
Submitted by tajb on Monday, 26 January, 2009 - 13:40
Hello,
Is there a way to use ctags and jedit across different computers? In other words, I want to open a file from a remote machine on my machine via SFTP, and jump to tags in other files on that remote machine. Maybe I can somehow load a tags file created on that remote machine to my machine? I have a few of the ctags plugins, including the CtagsInterface one. So far none have really explained if this is even possible, let alone how to do it. Thanks.

Tony
Help Text Size
Submitted by stretch6555 on Sunday, 25 January, 2009 - 04:20
Hi,

Is there any way of increasing the size of the text in the JEdit Help?
It's kind of small.
How Do I Set a Default Edit Mode for a Specific File Extension?
Submitted by Sledged on Sunday, 25 January, 2009 - 04:09
Title says it all. Example: How do I get files with the extension *.foo to automatically have the contents highlighted as though it were a FORTRAN source file?

Thanks,

D
search shortcut
Submitted by sebo on Wednesday, 21 January, 2009 - 13:03
Hello,

After using UltraEdit, I now use jEdit under Linux. In Ultraedit, I have a shortcut (F3) which look for the selected word in the file.
I was wondering how I can do the same thing in jEdit.
Note that I ask this question because I find annoying to use C+f then "enter" and then "find next"...

Thanks for your help.

Sebastien
JavaScript support for Sidekick on Windows
Submitted by neerolyte on Tuesday, 20 January, 2009 - 03:19
I just thought I would post this because I've been struggling with this for a while.

If you install CTagsSideKick and drop the ctags windows binary available from http://ctags.sourceforge.net/ straight into your jEdit install directory (e.g. C:\Program Files\jEdit\) the whole thing actually works really well.
Mark Modified Lines
Submitted by jrchilds on Friday, 16 January, 2009 - 21:38
Is is possible to automatically add a marker to any modified line?
Save Caret Position in Udo Buffer?
Submitted by jrchilds on Wednesday, 14 January, 2009 - 20:12
Does anyone know if there is currently a way that I can tell jEdit to remember Caret positions in the undo buffer?

We commonly will do several searches in a row trying to follow out the logic of a routine, then we want to be able to step back through the results, (or cursor locations,) using undo.

Any ideas?
LOC
Submitted by allelopath on Monday, 12 January, 2009 - 16:29
Can jEdit count lines of code?
(not # of lines in file, but lines of code)
"Optional.jar" plugin freezes jEdit
Submitted by rovf on Monday, 12 January, 2009 - 10:46
In jEdit 4.3pre16 (and also in 4.3pre13) running on Windows 2000, the "Optional.jar" plugin freezes jEdit. This can be most easily be seen in the following way:

(1) I install the "Optional.jar" plugin.
(2) Using the Plugin Manager, I make sure that "Optional" is the only plugin activated at the moment.
(3) I now click on Plugins/Plugin Options.

This freezes jEdit permamently, i.e. I have to use the task manager to kill it.

The problem might, of course, also be inside the plugin, but I don't know how to contact the plugin developer, Mr. Alan Ezust - but maybe he is reading this forum too.
Indent problem
Submitted by Edijs on Friday, 9 January, 2009 - 11:25
Hello! Just recently I had to change form developing on a Mac to Windows. Well, on Mac I had this cool editor, called TextWrangler. I searched the web and found Jedit to be the most look-and-fell-alike to TextWrangler out there and that's awesome. Even the shortcuts are similar Smiling ; anyways, I managed to do all the setup and even my own syntax highlighting, but my only problem now is - I need to get rid of that automatic indentation. The language I program in has so many built in functions and procedures, that there are some files, that contain logical blocks of code consisting only of outer functions, thus the automatic indentation is working in the wrong place and throws my lines of code all over the place.

The only thing that I have not been able to shut down is the indentation when I type. I could shut off the auto indent when I press TAB or ENTER, but where can I shut the auto indend upon typing?

BIG thanks! Smiling
Backup files when using remote filesystems
Submitted by cyrusking on Friday, 9 January, 2009 - 10:25
Hello,
is it possible to automatically backup a file which is stored on a remote filesystem? Although the options are checked to store a backup in a specific folder on saving, it doesn't save the backup when my file is stored on a ftp-server.

Thank you for any hints.
Marc
vertical connecting lines
Submitted by carolus on Thursday, 8 January, 2009 - 12:34
I noticed in some of the screen shots, on the www.jedit.org page, that vertical lines connecting program code lines, i.e. in HTML and similiar, when the lines are indented. I could not find this options. In the forum I found a discussion about this feature but no solution. Can anybody help? carolus
MAc jedit as2 as3
Submitted by Aresti on Wednesday, 7 January, 2009 - 02:48
Hi , how do i create as2 or as3, I have mac vesion. I want to load things to get started, also when i downloaded jedit, does it come with flash as compiler?
Modifying the file position format
Submitted by CornedBee on Thursday, 1 January, 2009 - 19:21
Somewhere before my last upgrade (to rc16), the status bar file position has changed to include the (byte? character?) offset of the cursor in the first place of the status bar file position. I don't know what motivated this change - I find this information to be largely useless - but whatever.
I just want to know if I can configure this anywhere. I want to turn it off. I want the current line to be first and most prominent item of information there. The Status Bar options only let me configure the widgets on the right side.
Little boxes instead of thai characters
Submitted by jfmxl on Wednesday, 31 December, 2008 - 12:08
I am unable to enter Thai characters into jEdit, and jEdit no longer displays Thai characters, but little square boxes instead. The files I'm looking at are loaded as utf-8.

I show below various parameters of my system. I had to set the locale by hand. No matter what I tried I could not get the system to do it.

I have a java based dictionary program as well, LEXiTRON, which will display Thai characters but will not allow me to enter them. OpenOffice, Text Editor, command line, Firefox, Thunderbird... no problems.

So I think it's java.

Anyone have any insight?

Thanks in advance.

jfl@ws0:~$ uname -a
Linux ws0 2.6.27-9-generic #1 SMP Thu Nov 20 21:57:00 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux

jfl@ws0:~$ jedit -version
Warning: $JAVA_HOME environment variable not set! Consider setting it.
Attempting to locate java...
Found a virtual machine at: /usr/bin/java...
jfl@ws0:~$ jEdit 4.3pre16

jfl@ws0:~$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_10"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_10-b33)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 11.0-b15, mixed mode, sharing)

jfl@ws0:~$ locale
LANG=th_TH.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="th_TH.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="th_TH.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="th_TH.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="th_TH.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="th_TH.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="th_TH.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="th_TH.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="th_TH.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="th_TH.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="th_TH.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="th_TH.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="th_TH.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

jfl@ws0:~$ locale -a
C
en_AU.utf8
en_BW.utf8
en_CA.utf8
en_DK.utf8
en_GB.utf8
en_HK.utf8
en_IE.utf8
en_IN
en_NG
en_NZ.utf8
en_PH.utf8
en_SG.utf8
en_US.utf8
en_ZA.utf8
en_ZW.utf8
POSIX
th_TH
th_TH.tis620
th_TH.utf8

jfl@ws0:~$ cat /etc/environment
PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games"
#LANGUAGE="en_US:en"
#LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
LANGUAGE="th_TH:th"
LANG="th_TH.UTF-8"
Problem with Proxy Configuration
Submitted by rovf on Monday, 29 December, 2008 - 10:16
I can't get Proxy Configuration right, with the effect that I can not use the Plugin Manager (connection times out).

I am behind a firewall, so I configured my Proxy settings in the same way as they work, for instance, for my Mozilla Browsers (SeaMonkey etc.). Still, jEdit seems to be unable to get through the firewall.

You can see here a screenshot of my Proxy settings:

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/245/jeditproxyconfkg1.jpg

I'm using jEit 4.3pre13 running on Windows 2000.
ErrorList showing false positives
Submitted by misterdanny on Friday, 19 December, 2008 - 19:20
I'm working on a PHP singleton pattern file. This is the method which am getting a lot of errors from PHPParserPlugin/ErrorList

class MyClass
{
private static $instance;
private function __construct()
{
}
public static function getInstance()
{
if (!isset(self::$instance))
{
$class = __CLASS__;
self::$instance = new $class();
}
return self::$instance;
}
public function doSomething()
{
echo 'something';
}
}

This is valid code for creating a singleton class. (it compiles and runs fine). However the ErrorList is throwing tons of errors on these lines (because of the self::$instance I am using). I am using the most updated version of both plugins. Is there a way I can at least set to ignore these lines? because The structure browser won't list anything while it is returning the errors.

thanks,
-Danny
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348