jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Using the -noserver option (or alternatives?)
Submitted by crowland on Friday, 7 January, 2005 - 14:28
I would like to set up my environment so that I can have 2 (or more) distinct instances/windows of jEdit (at least in appearance) so that I can have separate collections of buffers open in each instance/window.

It appears that this can be accomplished as I would like it by using the -noserver option on the command line.

If this is the preferred way to do this, does anyone have a suggestion on how I can create a shortcut/batch file (I'm on Windows) so that I can start jEdit w/o it being linked to the blank command window?

Currently I have a batch file that contains

start java -jar jedit.jar -noserver

I would love to get rid of that blank window, though, b/c it just clutters things up with double the task bar buttons.

tia
Loss of indent when using shellscript mode
Submitted by Anonymous on Wednesday, 5 January, 2005 - 19:51
When using braced variable names on an indented line, entry of ${Varname} causes the line to lose it's indent. e.g. for Line in $(ls) do print ${Line} <- as soon as the opening brace is typed the line shifts back to column 0 done Any ideas on how to fix this??? TIA
typing in action bar is invisible
Submitted by Anonymous on Tuesday, 4 January, 2005 - 21:11
I just started using jedit 4.2final and when I move to the action bar to type something it doesn't echo or appear on the screen, although the commands work. I tried using the utilities->global options->appearance to 'use jEdit text area colors in all' places but it didn't work and the typing is still invisible. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?
typing in action bar is invisible
Submitted by Anonymous on Tuesday, 4 January, 2005 - 20:24
I just started using jedit 4.2final and when I move to the action bar to type something it doesn't echo or appear on the screen, although the commands work. I tried using the utilities->global options->appearance to 'use jEdit text area colors in all' places but it didn't work and the typing is still invisible. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?
XML Plugin [HELP!]: "Not an XML File" Error"
Submitted by gravyak on Saturday, 1 January, 2005 - 18:45
I'm a noob on XML Plugin, and I can't seem to get it to work properly. I'm trying to write a Console/Commando xml file (started with a different, valid Commando XML file), but the "XML Insert" panes are empty (i.e., don't contain valid element lists), and functions of the XML Pluging like "Edit Tag at Caret..." return an error dialog titled, "Not an XML File". This is puzzling because I know that I have a well-formed XML file in the selected buffer, and it's in XML editing mode on the jEdit status bar.

I think I must be missing something very basic, because the plugin loads fine, but it seems simply non-functional for editing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

gravyak
Jedit 4.2 - i dont have highlight under win XP Sp2 JRE 1.5 || Debian sarge JRE 1.4.2
Submitted by Anonymous on Wednesday, 29 December, 2004 - 20:07
how can i start the highlight ???
i dont have highlight at nothink ( like HTML / Java .. nothink Sad )
i install the java plugins i install the highlight ver 1.0 Sad the same - nothink Sad
whyy ??
help please
Highlighting problem
Submitted by Anonymous on Wednesday, 29 December, 2004 - 16:02
Hello,

I created a edit-scheme which should recognize everything
between a * and a ; as a comment if there is only whitespace between
the preceeding ; (in the same line) and the beginning * .

Example:

i=3*j; *comment1; *comment2;

Here I want the signs till the first ; not to be considered as comment.
The two following parts between * and ; should be considered as comments.

I defined RULES with the SPAN_REGEXP command, but highlighting works
only for the first comment in the line. Somehow the ending ; of the first
comment is not considered as the begin of a SPAN_REGEXP.
Now I introduce a second ; in my example like follows:

i=3*j; *comment1;; *comment2;

Here also the second comment is recognised by the the SPAN_REGEXP:
[;][[:space:]]+[*]

Does anybody know a solution to this problem?
Thanks a lot in advance
jedit and java 1.5
Submitted by Anonymous on Wednesday, 29 December, 2004 - 15:49
How do I use jedit with java 1.5? Can't seem to find any plugins or anything that help. Will it be long before jedit is released with 1.5 support?
JEdit as ZDE (project, functions, vars, viewer; languages check support)
Submitted by Anonymous on Sunday, 26 December, 2004 - 12:22
Hello all!

I'm trying jEdit at the third time, but now I want to move on it completely... =)
Just have some problems questions: what should I install (which plugins/macros/...) to get:
- project files viewer;
- variables, functions (in the hole project or just in file) viewer;
- support for PHP 5, Standart ML, C/C++. I mean feature just like in ZDE (Zend Development Editor) - editor launch copmiler/interpriter and give notices/errors/warnings to some window.

As far as I understand, there are all that possibilities there, but I tried to install all plugins and macros and they do not work. Some of them do not work at all, some of them can't be understanded (even after reading help).

Thank you in advance,
/Alexandre.
how to change folding style like Visual Studio or KDevelop?
Submitted by pi1ot on Thursday, 23 December, 2004 - 04:46
like this:
http://www.quake-au.net/php/screenshot.png
http://static.kdenews.org/mirrors/qwertz/kde31alpha/s12.png
find and replace
Submitted by Anonymous on Saturday, 18 December, 2004 - 17:30
I need to replace 3 lines of code, each line is on a seperate line in the file. I have to replace it with 4 lines of php code, however when I copy my 3 lines into the jedit editor, it puts them all on one line and so doesnt find the lines that need changing.

It appears it can only search for a string or something to replace providing its all on one line, what about if i want to replace a block of code in 45 files like I need to now?

How do I do that?
thnx
Launcing a new jEdit instance?
Submitted by pjlehtim on Friday, 17 December, 2004 - 08:29
Is is somehow possible to launch another instance of jEdit? What I need is to have two different sets of buffers. I edit multible XSLT files and multible input files. I don't want to have them all in the same buffer tab list(its getting too long and its hard to find the buffer I want). The best way would be to have Linux like virtual desktops inside jEdit. Just two separare buffersets and a keyboard shortcut to switch between them. But for now I'd be happy just to launch another jEdit instanve with separate set of buffers. Any way I can do that?
JavaStyle on whole directory
Submitted by Anonymous on Thursday, 16 December, 2004 - 16:20
Is it posible to call JavaStyle beautifirer on all files in some directory and all subdirectoryes?
Disabling Multiple Instances
Submitted by Anonymous on Wednesday, 15 December, 2004 - 21:53
Greetings Friends!

I'm a web designer who has just begun using jEdit for coding.

What a wonderful application!

My question is regarding multiple instances.

I often use FileZilla to 'View / Edit' my files. Whenever I do this, a new instance of jEdit is opened, even if the file is already open in jEdit.

I've looked all through the options and cannot find anything relating to multiple instances. Is there any way to disable them?

Thanks so much!

vavrek

~ free music for the now age ~
vavrek.com
Improving latex editing possible?
Submitted by weimer on Wednesday, 15 December, 2004 - 20:33
I am currently investigating my possibilities to switch to jEdit from Emacs on Mac OS X. So far, I think jEdit may replace Emacs for my programming needs.

But: The LaTeX editing mode needs some polish when compared with Emacs which I would possibly be able to do myself. I would really appreciate any hints on how to accomplish the following changes:

- a \section{} and related commands shall be treated as a paragraph on their own when reformatting paragraphs. Having to keep a empty line after them to prevent the formatting is very annoying.

- The indention in "description" environments is suboptimal. The indent should be like this:

\item[jEdit: ] Some nice text Editor I need to write about here.
_______________Some nice text Editor I need to write about here.

The '__' should be an indent until the second "Some" is alligned exactly the way the first line is.

Instead of:

\item[jEdit: ] Some nice text Editor I need to write about here.
Some nice text Editor I need to write about here.

Is it possible to accomplish something along these lines with jEdit?

Greetings,

Markus
jEdit 4.1 launcher works well with jEdit 4.2
Submitted by kaimonica on Wednesday, 15 December, 2004 - 20:17
1. Install jEdit 4.2.
2. Install jEdit 4.1 -- select only the windows integration component.
3. Run "Set jEdit parameters" as in jEdit 4.1.

This seems like an easy way to use jEdit 4.2 and still be able to use the 4.1 launcher.
Now you can happily associate file types as in jEdit 4.1.
Can I make sidekick structure browser show PHP instead of HTML structure for my PHP files?
Submitted by Anonymous on Wednesday, 15 December, 2004 - 18:54
I edit PHP files with lots of PHP code wrapped in tags. I have Sidekick and PHPParser (plus XML and various other plugins). The buffer is shown as PHP mode and gets nice PHP syntax highlighting, but sidekick seems to show only the structurue of HTML tags scattered through my code (ie. no PHP functions etc). So sidekick folding doesn't work as you'd hope either - switching to 'indent' folding lets you fold PHP functions as you'd expect, but I'd love to use the structure browser to navigate thru the PHP functions like you'd do with a java source file. Is this possible - am I doing something stupid? I don't read this list religiously, any replies to pds@quadstone.com greatly appreciated.
Highlighting numbers - problems with names using underscore + digits
Submitted by goebbe on Wednesday, 15 December, 2004 - 11:35
Hello,

I use the HIGHLIGHT_DIGITS="TRUE" attribute and have the following problem:

When using variable names which contains underscore + digits the
digits are highlighted.
For example:
variable_2 = 4;
Here the 2 and the 4 are highlighted.
Does anybody has an idea how to prevent the number after an underscore to be highlighted.

I already tried to fix the problem with the : DIGIT_RE= and the NO_WORD_SEP rules
unfortunately without the desired result.

Thanks a lot in advance
goebbe
Is JEdit incompatible with my programming style?
Submitted by fmart on Tuesday, 14 December, 2004 - 17:08
Hello.
I'm new to JEdit (and Java) and I've found an annoyance in the way JEdit treats my programming style. It seams that everybody except I writes "obj.method/params)". I write "obj.method (params)" (note the space between "method" and "(".

Well, because of that, JEdit doesn't mark my method calls like so. I took a look on the Java mode file and discovered that the way JEdit highlights methods won't work for me because it uses (I think): ( But the space I put before "(" breaks this, because it separates the tokens.

Is there a way to avoid this problem besides changing my style? Am I the only sole with this style????

Thanks.
User login
Browse archives
« May 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   83281