jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Auto-indentation in a new edit mode
Submitted by Anonymous on Thursday, 9 December, 2004 - 09:53
Hi, I've been writing an edit mode for the ABB RAPID industrial robot programming language. Just one thing outstanding - Auto Indentation

In UltraEdit, the following lines work. I need to do the equivalent in jEdit.
/Indent Strings = "ELSE" "ELSEIF" "THEN" "DO"
/Unindent Strings = "ENDIF" "ELSE" "ENDFOR" "ENDPROC" "ENDMODULE" "ENDWHILE" "ENDFOR" "ENDTEST"

Here are a few examples of how the RAPID code looks. Note there are no brackets used in structuring these statements in this language. Can jEdit handle this or not?

IF nCurrentTable=1 THEN
  pBegin1.trans.z:=nMaxDistT1;
  pEnd1.trans.z:=nMinDistT1;
ELSEIF nCurrentTable=2 THEN
  pBegin1.trans.z:=nMaxDistT2;
  pEnd1.trans.z:=nMinDistT2;
ENDIF

WHILE NOT ConditionsOK DO
  IF (diCtrl_Vacuum1=0 AND boEnable_Ch1=TRUE) RETURN TRUE;
  ConditionsOK:=TRUE;
ENDWHILE

FOR i FROM 1 TO 10 DO
  routine1;
ENDFOR

But the following "compact" (one-line) IF statement should not have the next line indented:
IF di3_LayerOrd=1 Layer;

Thanks for any help!

Andrew
V4.2: Syntax highlighting for nested quotes (re-entered with line breaks)
Submitted by cpotting on Wednesday, 8 December, 2004 - 02:38
Hello everyone, I am a new user to jEdit and love it. However, I am
having a problem trying set up the SPAN/SPAN_REGEXP to handle nested
quotes.

The language I am trying to handle is an implementation of Lua (CELX
scripting for the open source program Celestia), and allows the
double and single quotes to be included in strings using a backslash.

for example:
text = "the \" character is a quotation mark"
more = "hello"

The default rules for Lua highlights would cause - "the \" - to be
higlighted as quoted, - character is a quotation mark - to be treated
as code and - " more = " - to be highlighted as quotes.

Essentially, I need to jEdit to recognise that " and ' are only
quotes if they are not preceeded by a \. I tried using SPAN_REGEXP.
This worked for recognising the opening quotes, but since the tag is
not evaluated as a regular expression, I could find no way to get it
to skip occurences of \" and \'.

Does anyone know of a way to do this? Thank you.

Clive Pottinger
Forcing syntax highlighting
Submitted by pdfneuro on Tuesday, 7 December, 2004 - 16:45
Hi,

I would like to know how to force JEdit to use a specific syntax highlighting mode(xml, php...), no matter what is the file extension and its content.

Thanks for helping.
V4.2: Syntax highlighting for nested quotes
Submitted by cpotting on Tuesday, 7 December, 2004 - 12:37
Hello everyone, I am a new user to jEdit and love it. However, I am having a problem trying set up the SPAN/SPAN_REGEXP to handle nested quotes. The language I am trying to handle is an implementation of Lua (CELX scripting for the open source program Celestia), and allows the double and single quotes to be included in strings using a backslash (e.g. text = "the \" character is a quotation mark" more = "hello" The default rules for Lua highlight would cause - "the \" - to be higlighted as quoted, - character is a quotation mark - to be treated as code and - " more = " to be highlighted as quotes. Essentially, I need to jEdit to recognise that " and ' are only quotes if they are not preceeded by a \. I tried using SPAN_REGEXP. This worked for recognising the opening quotes, but since the tag is not evaluated as a regular expression, I could find no way to get it to skip occurences of \" and \'. Does anyone know of a way to do this? Thank you.
LISP programming with jEdit
Submitted by Anonymous on Tuesday, 7 December, 2004 - 04:30
I'm just starting to learn Common Lisp and I was wondering if anyone here is using jEdit to edit Lisp code, and if there is anyway to get access to a REPL from within jEdit like in Emacs. Any other hints/suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks,

Matt
few questions
Submitted by fdejaigher on Sunday, 5 December, 2004 - 23:09
HTML
How to replace accents by html special character code ?
For exemple: é => é

Is there an auto replace function ?
perl system variable
Submitted by Anonymous on Sunday, 5 December, 2004 - 01:44
Ok, i have jedit and activeperl installed, but i can't seem to be able to run my .pl file's in MS DOS's. I do Run>cmd then go to wherre the pl file is located, but when i type it in and it runs it runs in a notepad and just show's the code. How do i change it so i will show the output of my code in dos i know you can do it in HTML. Anyhow, i know u have to go in system variables and change something, but i can't remember what i have to type dose anyone else?
What are these ._ files?
Submitted by joelwyland on Friday, 3 December, 2004 - 19:17
I tried searching the forum but searching for ._ isn't that successful.

Sometimes when I'm editing files, some sort of tmp file is left behind. For example, Foo.java and ._Foo.java

The ._ file isn't a copy of the original, it's always 82 bytes of non-visible text. I know this isn't my autobackup because it's not a copy of the file and I have my auto-backup set to go to a specific directory on my hard drive.

Any suggestions are welcome because those extra files keep messing with my source code repository operations.

Thanks!
Kenny
How to enabled "Buffer Tab" ?
Submitted by cyu021 on Friday, 3 December, 2004 - 04:16
Hi folks,

I've been looking all over the configurations available in jEdit, but I couldn't find one to enable "Buffer Tab".
I really like to have my jEdit looks like this (just the buffer tab part):
http://www.jedit.org/index.php?page=screenshot&image=14

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
James
Newbie: java mode quirk
Submitted by Anonymous on Wednesday, 1 December, 2004 - 23:04
Hello. I'm new to JEdit (and Java) and I've found an annoyance in the way JEdit treats my programming style. It seams that everybody except I writes "obj.method/params)". I write "obj.method (params)" (note the space between "method" and "(". Well, because of that, JEdit doesn't mark my method calls like so. I took a look on the Java mode file and discovered that the way JEdit highlights methods won't work for me because it uses (I think): ( But the space I put before "(" breaks this, because it separates the tokens. Is there a way to avoid this problem besides changing my style? Am I the only sole with this style???? Thanks. Filipe Martins filipe.martins at free-spy.net
∫ instead of int followed by a space?
Submitted by Rob Somerville on Wednesday, 1 December, 2004 - 17:15
I am using jEdit to try to write in java and when I try to enter int then as soon as I type the space the 'int' disappears and is replaced by this character ∫

It's really not much of a problem but does anybody know why?

Thanks,

Rob
Tag completion with XML plugin
Submitted by rickindy on Tuesday, 30 November, 2004 - 08:09
Is it necessary to have a DTD in order to get the tag completion feature in the XML plugin to work? In version 3.x of jEdit, this wasn't necessary, but it apparently is is the current version.
I've done a clean install of 4.2 and all the required plugins.
Thanks.
PHP syntax highlight colors
Submitted by Anonymous on Monday, 29 November, 2004 - 22:37
I was just playing around with the "Editor Scheme Selector" pluging and accidently change my scheme color. Now i can't get the colors that i had set up for syntax highlighting. I mainly use jEdit for PHP and CSS. Does anyone have a screenshot of their PHP syntax highlight colors that i can use to reference?
Linux / WIndows - Files
Submitted by Anonymous on Monday, 29 November, 2004 - 07:51
Hello, often i have to share text files between linux & Windows. How can i change the 0x03 Byte at the end of Windows Text to something ? Thanks horst.
Loading directory listings from a samba mount
Submitted by Langman on Friday, 26 November, 2004 - 20:15
I have a Unix file system that I exposed to my Windows machine using Samba. The problem is that "File System Browser" in JEdit seems to take a very long time (~30 sec) to load the directory listing from this mounted drive. Using windows explorer I can load the same directory listing in about 3 sec (10 times faster). The directory has about 130 files.

I assume that JEdit is doing some type of query on a pre file basis to gather more info about the file before showing the list in the "File System Browser"??

Any idea what might be causing this and is there is a way to speed this up?
Help Reqd. Structure Browser (Side Kick) & Code browser use.
Submitted by pobox90210 on Tuesday, 23 November, 2004 - 20:37
Does anyone know where I can find some help info on either Structure Nrowser or Code Browser. I would prefer Structure Browser as I am using Linux and have no idea how to install ctags 5.5 to try and get Code Browser to work.
I would like to know how to set up a tag so that the "broswers" list them in the broswer pane.
If anyone has any help files or can write a step by step of how to set up a tag, I would appreciate it.
Thanks for your time.
Peter

PS. I normally use UltraEdit and would like a working function list in my jEdit if possible.
PPS. Is therre another way to do Column Mode other than holding the CTRL and using the mouse? It's not as good/usable as the UltraEdit one currently.
How to reopen file with different encoding
Submitted by Anonymous on Tuesday, 23 November, 2004 - 16:45
When I open a file using jEdit filesystem explorer, I have a chance to right-click it and choose an apropriate encoding. But what if I open the file thru drag&drop and jEdit fails to recognize encoding correctly? Is there any chance to tell it what encoding it should use?
How to create quick key for constant used phrase?
Submitted by Anonymous on Monday, 22 November, 2004 - 22:04
I am tired of to type "System.out.println".
How can I create my constant used phrases and easy to import?

Alex
automatic completion of " and '
Submitted by Anonymous on Sunday, 21 November, 2004 - 17:39
is any possibility of turning on automatic completion of " and ' in PHP scipts? i'am used from other editors, when i write " or ', automaticly second quotation mark appears.
thanks
mac osx file association
Submitted by Anonymous on Sunday, 21 November, 2004 - 06:48
How do I prevent jedit for associating files with itself after they are saved? I want to preserve current association and not allow jedit to change it.

thanx
User login
Browse archives
« May 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   83281