jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
remember additional settings (RFE)
Submitted by xlinuks on Saturday, 10 June, 2006 - 14:08
Hi all, here are some issues I would like jEdit to consider:

-jEdit should remember if the "Line Numbers" panel (the panel to the left which shows the lines number) was showing last time it was running. The Line Numbers panel disappears each time jEdit is restarted or it's highlighting options have been changed.
-By double clicking the title bar of some (windowsXP) window it gets smaller, jEdit does so unless it has been:
1. previously minimized to a smaller window during the same session
2. resized to maximized state.
After closing jEdit it forgets this setting, this way after opening jEdit one has to reproduce to two steps above to make jEdit have a similar behaviour of an *usual* windows(XP) window.

This is it. If I could I would do it myself. Hope somebody to implement these features in a new version of jEdit Smiling
Mode specific context menu
Submitted by sanbadahanul on Wednesday, 7 June, 2006 - 11:34
Mode specific context menu. Is it cool?
XInsert cursor positioning
Submitted by jlecain on Wednesday, 24 May, 2006 - 10:30
Hi, I use XInsert in html pages. Is it possible that after double clicking on an "insert" the cursor be automatically positioned between the begining and ending tag? This would allow me to be even more efficient by avoiding an extra click. For example when inserting a P tag it writes

and I would like to have the cursor ready to write inner text. Thank you for your reply. Julien
[FILE SYSTEM BROWSER] multiple Connection Tabs
Submitted by ecc on Thursday, 18 May, 2006 - 11:38
Hi,

Feature-Request 1: Directory-Tabs in System Browser

i work on many projects in many directories at the same task. If i use the bookmark-function and the Path-History, i can get quick-access to the latest directories, im working in. Ok, thats the status!
I work for a long time with homesite. There are Tabs ([Files1][Files2]) to switch between two project-folder with one click. Please also add this feature to the File System Browser in jEdit.

Feature-Request 1: HTML-Preview

in Homesite, there is a Tab in all Edit-Windows, to show the code in the default Webbrowser.
Is there a option to do that in jEdit?

Regards,
Andreas
[ProjectViewer] Change the filter system
Submitted by Baldurien on Wednesday, 17 May, 2006 - 22:25
When using the Project Viewer, with the file I edit using jEdit, I've got a lot of temp' file (example : foo.php~) which I'd like to cut off the project tree.

The problem is that the glob pattern does not accept to do something like this :

!*~

This will restrain file finishing by ~ as well as other file...

I think it could be better to have a set of regexp : we would have a JTable, with a list of regexp (in order of priority) so that when we reimport file using filter, it use regexp to match (or not) the file name.
Excel formula plugin?
Submitted by stuckfly on Tuesday, 25 April, 2006 - 14:46
I don't know about Excel 2007, but the current and previous versions do not have an efficient text editor for entering complex formulae into spreadsheet cells.

You can use alt-enter for line breaks and spaces to indent, and Excel color codes cell references and parentheses, but each line break and space counts against the maximum formula length limit of 1024 characters.

Entering nested conditional formulae quickly becomes confusing, and editing someone else's work can be very difficult. A code editor that recognizes Excel formula syntax, handles indenting of nested functions, color codes things better than Excel's formula bar, and allows comments would be very handy, especially to keep formulae concise. It should count characters (but not line breaks and indents) and enable single-click to copy all to Excel sans breaks and indents and comments. One could save the formula code with comments to a text file for later use.

I've heard Excel 2007 eliminates the formula length limit and nested function level limit. Unless Microsoft is already building a text editor into Excel for formula entry, a jEdit plugin for this will become a very popular tool I think.
PHP First Line GLOB in catalog
Submitted by edoceo on Friday, 21 April, 2006 - 00:37
It comes (4.3p3) like this: but that misses php command line scripts that start with a #!/usr/bin/php or the like. I would like to suggest/request the modification below: Catches files with right suffix, starting with
Terminal plugin
Submitted by beaubert on Sunday, 9 April, 2006 - 16:32
Hi is there a plan to develop a terminal plugin for jedit.

I know that there are the jta ssh and jta_telnet plugins but development seems to be closed and i'm unable to make it work smoothly

Or can the system shell run the user shell like bash, tcsh ...
in-text Spreadsheet/Tables
Submitted by turtlecove on Friday, 31 March, 2006 - 17:19
Does anyone know of a plugin that will let me manipulate tables of text in a spreadsheet-like way?
I keep all my life/work information in text files and I'd really like to be able to store structured information in a more usable format.
I am thinking something like a special "tag" that means the follow lines are CSV data.
Eg:

[TABLE fs=|]
Mary Smith|40.34|xyz
John Doe|12.19|abc
Nathan Brazil|234.50|123

And the plug in would recognize this table and display it in a nice grid with some features like sort by column, resize columns, etc.
Maybe even some primitive formulas like SUM(), AVG(), etc.

If I looked at the file in a different text editor I would see the CSV as I typed it above. In jEdit I would see the "pretty" grid.

Anything out there like this? Anything even similar?
Editing files over SSH
Submitted by BarneyN on Friday, 31 March, 2006 - 07:29
Hi,

I need to edit files over an SSH connection.

I have tried to use the FTP plugin with "Open from Secure FTP Server", but it fails with an "Authentication has not been completed" message.

The thing is, I am quite sure that the remote server runs an scp server, but not an sFTP server.
Is this causing my problems, or is it something similar to what is described here?
http://community.jedit.org/?q=node/view/1616

I am not in control of the remote server, so I cannot change any settings there (or ask for them to be changed).

Please advice,
Barney
Dreamweaver-style locking?
Submitted by rbauer on Wednesday, 29 March, 2006 - 18:18
Can a macro or plugin be written to support dreamweaver-style file locks? If you're not familiar with these, they are files created having the same name as the file you're editing, but with a .LCK appended. The lock file contains your username and some other user info (email address, machine you are working on). Primitive, yes, but would be really nice to have in jEdit.

Thanks!
R
code browser
Submitted by Robert Schwenn on Monday, 27 March, 2006 - 18:11
It would be helpful, if codebrowser would make the directory of ctags.exe the current directory for the ctags-process (and only for this process, not for jEdit) everytime it is started. So ctags.exe finds a ctags.cnf file in this directory.

Here's the reason:
I use ctags with a ctags.cnf file and have to store this file in a common directory, so that it will be available for all users. On Windows there seems to be only one appropriate site for ctags.cnf: the directory where ctags.exe resides. Well, that's pretty good, BUT: ctags founds the cnf only when this directory is the current working directory. I do it before starting jEdit, but it's nasty when You want to open files from outside jEdit, i.e. from the commandline...

Robert
Edit Mode-specific Shortcuts (key bindings)
Submitted by bmc on Friday, 17 March, 2006 - 18:23
As far as I can tell, from digging through the docs and the API, there's no support for mode-specific key bindings. This feature would be *really* useful.
Project viewer recent version became annoying
Submitted by bigugga on Wednesday, 15 March, 2006 - 10:21
Upgraded to newer version of this cool plugin and noticed now behavior. As I switch between open files, project viewer cursor updates its position according to opened file. It becomes very annoying, when working on many files in project (not fit in screen on left side).

Please add some checkbox or smth one may uncheck this "feature"

Thanx a lot for this great plugin!
Remember encoding used in open buffers
Submitted by jere on Tuesday, 7 March, 2006 - 23:24
I have default encoding UTF8. When I have opened files, set buffer encoding to eg. win1250, close jEdit and start it again, it again use UTF8 instead of win1250.
GUI Designer Plugin would be ace!
Submitted by rowck001 on Friday, 3 March, 2006 - 02:10
If anyone could develop a Swing Designer Plugin that supports the gridbag or absolute positionaing layouts then using Jedit for GUI apps would be like being kissed on the d*#k by a fairy (the winged angel kind!)
GUI Designer Plugin would be ace!
Submitted by rowck001 on Friday, 3 March, 2006 - 02:08
If anyone could develop a Swing Designer Plugin that supports the gridbag or absolute positionaing layouts then using Jedit for GUI apps would be like being kissed on the d*#k by a fairy (the winged angel kind!)
selection through gutter
Submitted by Old Spider on Thursday, 16 February, 2006 - 13:19
It would be very helpful to be able to click on a line number, including dragging, to select a field of text. Currently I'm unable to do that and it takes extra time to drag and select a single line of text.
An option to modify scrollwheel behaviour in the editor, please.
Submitted by Denyer on Sunday, 5 February, 2006 - 01:01
How difficult would it be to add a toggle option to invert the shift/non-shift action? For quickly reviewing a file, I'd rather not have to reach for the keyboard to scroll text a screen at a time, or have to remember that jEdit will be doing something different from every other application I have installed. Equally, there are times when using a modifer key to scroll a few lines would be useful.

Thanks for reading.
Codebrowser feature request
Submitted by MatthewGM1 on Friday, 3 February, 2006 - 01:48
I would be nice if double-clicking a file in code browser closed the file like some other buffer changers. Thanks.
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348